#1 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:34 PM

I was discussing ranking systems with a mathematician and found a novel solution that would even work with the worthless Elo ranking in this game.

Have bonus/penalty modifiers to the ranking

For example:

Headshot +2
Destroy Both Legs on Opponent -2
Killed by legging +2
Overheat death -1
Win by opponent Overheat +1

This introduces an aspect to the game in which the community can reward good, honorable players without detracting from those who win at all costs, because sometimes.. you do have to win.

#2 d00mchild

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

Posted Image
id like that

#3 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

That seams like an easy and nice idea. I like it.

#4 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

Nope, legs are a legit target. Therefore honorable.

According to big bad Vladdie Ward (I have a license to wrek names)
We Clans talk much of honor. Nothing is more precious to a Clan warrior than his honor. How do I define honor? Success.

So in my trhinking: Pilots who succeed in hitting legs have moar honour than those that don't hit legs.

Its da Lore.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 20 May 2018 - 06:09 PM.

#5 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:24 PM

While unlikely to happen I like the idea.

#6 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:41 PM

I will shoot legs on mechs that jump or as a follow up to a bad shot or even to just slow a mech down.

However, we all know it is less skillful and less fun for everyone involved if all we do is shoot legs . Winning at any cost is still ok in this suggestion, but it balances with community standards .

#7 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:45 AM

I think you could even say that its a rule made up by the S7 Tournament officials to generate more enteraining battles for the viewers.

Personaly I see legging as a valid tactic when fighting faster, lighter mechs that I won't hit otherwise or that can get away from me to fast. Else I go for side torso, you still find people with XL or ammo in it so thats even a faster kill then then legging.
Also I find that dearming (takeing away their weapns, not shooting of the arms) of enemy makes them easier to kill as they don't fight back as much.
Also it rains some extra money for doing so.Killing components rewards quite a lot.

#8 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:47 AM

Legging should be added to the penalty system . Do it twice and you get a 20 minute timeout :P

#9 Naqser

• PipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:50 AM

"You won, but not according to my honor rules"
Honor gaming, restricting yourself in the finest fashion

If legs are out of the question, so should everything else but the CT.

A headshot can end a match almost as it started.
Taking arms and side torsos means removing weapons, not fair. Also, chance of IS XL engines.

#10 Jettrik Ryflix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:21 AM

People talk about legging like it's OP, when it's actually only a good strategy in certain match-ups.

For example, if you're going Anni vs. Anni, and you're shooting for legs, you're gonna lose, 10 times out of 10. You might get a leg off, but your opponent can blow 1 or 2 of your torsos off in the same time.

If your opponent is much faster than you, however, going for legs can be your only valid option. For instance, if you try to kill a good spider pilot by shooting for his CT, you're gonna spread damage across all torsos and arms, and he'll pick you apart. Your optimal strategy is to try snagging a leg, so you can catch up and end the match.

Some 'mechs are tanky, but have vulnerable legs. Bushwackers and IS Marauders come to mind.

What I'm trying to say is, you have to know the match-up. Going for legs all the time may lose you more matches than it wins you.
If you find yourself getting legged a lot, maybe you're driving a 'mech that has vulnerable legs, or you're not fully armouring your legs, or you're driving a fast 'mech.

#11 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:02 AM

View PostJettrik Ryflix, on 21 May 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

People talk about legging like it's OP, when it's actually only a good strategy in certain match-ups.

For example, if you're going Anni vs. Anni, and you're shooting for legs, you're gonna lose, 10 times out of 10. You might get a leg off, but your opponent can blow 1 or 2 of your torsos off in the same time.

If your opponent is much faster than you, however, going for legs can be your only valid option. For instance, if you try to kill a good spider pilot by shooting for his CT, you're gonna spread damage across all torsos and arms, and he'll pick you apart. Your optimal strategy is to try snagging a leg, so you can catch up and end the match.

Some 'mechs are tanky, but have vulnerable legs. Bushwackers and IS Marauders come to mind.

What I'm trying to say is, you have to know the match-up. Going for legs all the time may lose you more matches than it wins you.
If you find yourself getting legged a lot, maybe you're driving a 'mech that has vulnerable legs, or you're not fully armouring your legs, or you're driving a fast 'mech.

So basically dont leg annihilators because they're slow and have 100+ armor on each leg . Leg every other mech...
DIV 1 ct,
DIV 2-7 legs :)

Edited by Monkey Lover, 22 May 2018 - 02:07 AM.

#12 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:09 AM

If a mech is quirked with massive + armor in the torso, but don't have leg quirks (like a bushwacker or linebacker) then it makes legs a great target. I don't understand why people have a problem with this? Are they expecting people to limit themselves to give them a better chance of winning?

#13 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

No. Legs are a legit target, don't like it? Armour them up and keep your destroyed leg pointing at the target. There's plenty of armour in them so your opponent should be at a disadvantage when trying to shoot them out while you focus on a weapons cluster. If you're getting legged in a light, then that's kind of the trade off for being so fast and agile, especially with jets.

#14 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:36 PM

View PostNaqser, on 21 May 2018 - 05:50 AM, said:

"You won, but not according to my honor rules"
Honor gaming, restricting yourself in the finest fashion

If legs are out of the question, so should everything else but the CT.

A headshot can end a match almost as it started.
Taking arms and side torsos means removing weapons, not fair. Also, chance of IS XL engines.

This is why the point adjustment is small.

However, legging is less skillfull in most situations which is verifiable by the fact ArticWolf srm boats leg even annihilators.

#15 Jettrik Ryflix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

View PostSurn, on 22 May 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

However, legging is less skillfull in most situations which is verifiable by the fact ArticWolf srm boats leg even annihilators.

That is an entirely different problem. Piranhas vs. Atlases and ACW vs. ANH are just silly match-ups that nobody signed up for.

#16 Naqser

• PipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:36 PM

View PostSurn, on 22 May 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

This is why the point adjustment is small.

Mm, arbitrary point reductions and increments based on how you're killed or won, not taking into account any differences between the two parties.

"Sure you can win, but it's not done according to my own self-restrictive rules as to how I percieve the match should happen. Seeing as you didn't win by my criteria you're not as skilled" That's what that says.

Also, how do you not detract something from players who play to win, that means scrapping and burning the good old honor rule book, while subtracting points for kills by legging, which apparently is such a huge issue it warrants skill point reductions for killing in that manner?

Looking at the other "bonuses", they're redundant.
Pulling consistent headshots will, as long as you acually win by them, secure an increase in rank, regardless of a mimimal "2" bonus.
Dying by overheating already makes you lose, and consistently losing by overheating will decrease your skill rank.
You're already getting rewarded accordingly regarding those.
They're not even tied to "honorable gaming" which apparently is the aim of the system, as I interpret it due to the last paragraph in the OP. Unless of course dying by overheating has something to do with high alfa mechs going for Override and hoping to out alfa you before they die themselves, another thing possibly against the "honor code", possible as you're rewarded for winning by the opponent killing themselves through overheating, in the same manner as legging was done.

Surprised you didn't include reductions for kills through back armor.
Destroying both STs or Dakka shake your opponent to death. Cause I can see those as being "less skillful and very dishonorable towards your opponent".

#17 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:20 PM

While we're at it, can we add a -10 for using non-stock build? Because same non nonsensical honor argument.

#18 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

View PostNightbird, on 23 May 2018 - 07:20 PM, said:

While we're at it, can we add a -10 for using non-stock build? Because same non nonsensical honor argument.

Better a +1000 for a stock build... If you can beat a meta Anni, you deserve it.

#19 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:46 AM

Stock build +5 would be cool.

In any event, based on the positive and negative feedback this basic suggestion must be a fair suggestion. It balances without limiting.

#20 Naqser

• PipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

View PostSurn, on 24 May 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

Stock build +5 would be cool.

In any event, based on the positive and negative feedback this basic suggestion must be a fair suggestion. It balances without limiting.

A system which does not reward wins on their own, but how they are performed.
Sure, it balances things according to your gaming honor code, without limiting things your hold high.

Disclaimer should have been added that it does limit things you frown upon, seeing as punishing certain actions is trying to limit said actions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users