the one that saves maidens in danger from their demise

#3 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

Get them together and have a Joust to find out.

#4 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

I'd say 6b for the energy range and 9 energy hardpoints. Armour quirks are the same on all of 'em, I think.

#5 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

2 have structure and are crap

The other 2 have armor and are *mediocre

Edited by LordBraxton, 23 May 2018 - 08:19 PM.

#6 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:55 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on 23 May 2018 - 08:18 PM, said:

2 have structure and are crap

True, completely overlooked that. WTF, though.

#7 BrunoSSace

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

I say go big or go home, if they nerf Clan laser vomit you will need the next best thing.
https://www.mechspec...c1-xl350.13960/

Only night id probably buy.

#8 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:02 PM

Get the L Variant - it has Armor Quirks and Laser Duration quirk. if you quirk appropriate I do believe you can pump it up to 7.5-10% Laser Duration reduction, which is good with a Large Pulse and Medium Laser Build.

#9 Moochachoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

Don’t play Black Knight, they suck, they are way way too big, we are talking the size of an atlas, and their hard points are way way too low.

Edited by Moochachoo, 23 May 2018 - 09:04 PM.

#10 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:39 PM

I would think the one with the rounded head.

Or Zelgius from Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn.

#11 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

View PostLuminis, on 23 May 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

I'd say 6b for the energy range and 9 energy hardpoints. Armour quirks are the same on all of 'em, I think.

6B
7-KNT-L

Those are the two good ones.

The 6B has structure quirks BUT it has -10% heat and can do 3LL/6ERML And remain quite cool.
The 7-L has armour quirks and can do 3LL/5ERML. The armour quirks make it tanky as, more armour than a 90T Assault.

You CAN LFE them both as well for Laser Vom and on the right map are incredibly strong - Frozen City, River City etc etc.
On the wrong map like Polar/Alpine they totally suck, so badly I can't even do well and end up pulling my hair out.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 24 May 2018 - 04:41 AM.

#12 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

I like my 9 MPL BLK-7-KNT.... very tanky. Only used in faction play, on maps like Frozen City where I know it will be cold and I'll be able to get in close.

#13 Mortalcoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:34 PM

The "correct" answer is the BL-7-KNT-L for it's armor quirks and duration quirk being better than the cooldown quirk of BL-7-KNT, but I'll be honest with you, I prefer the BL-6B-KNT for it's 9 energy hard points and massive -10% energy heat quirk. The BL-6-KNT is also the only Black Knight that doesn't handle like garbage and is actually fun to pilot for that reason. I bought my Black Knights during the rule of 3 days, so I have all 3 of these. If you can afford it you should get all 3 and see which one you like the most.

If you can only only afford one, get the BL-6B-KNT. Yes, It's technically worse than the BL-7-KNT-L because it has structure quirks instead of armor quirks, but you will almost definitely enjoy playing it more.

I wouldn't recommend any Black Knight for faction play, because there are lighter laser boats that do a better job at their role than the Black Knight, and 75 ton heavies are hard to drop into a drop deck with the amazing assaults that IS has, well, specifically the Annihilator and Sleipner and the BLR-1G for long range.

So, if you just want a fun quick play Black Knight, go with the BL-6B-KNT.

Edited by Mortalcoil, 23 May 2018 - 11:37 PM.

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:13 AM

If you have other IS laser vomit mechs such as a Warhammer, or Top Dog, or Grasshopper, or if you are just a QP player and better yet have a Hellbringer or Ebon or even I am sad to say a Timber, then the correct answer to the title question is: why bother?

I have had BK’s since their introduction, and even went so far as to by duplicates of a couple for CW. Sigh. They were for a short time the IS counter to just about anything the Clans could throw at you, performing even better than the once legendary ultra quirked Thunderbolt 5ss. But with the arrival of the Warhammer and the death of CW, not to mention their remodel and the loss of most of their quirks, they ceased having a reason to exist other than to look good. Nowadays there is just zero reason to run them in anything other than a mech beauty contest. As far as actual game play effectiveness, other mechs, such as those mentioned above, do what any of the BKs can do but do it without being one of thee tallest mechs in the game and without the need to expose 2/3rds of their full frontal profile to fire. But if you are going to buy one, then yeah buy for the armor quirks; but do keep in mind that if you need to rely on quirks to make a buying decision you are probably making the wrong decision, from the get go.

#15 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:19 AM

Best Black Knight;

#16 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:31 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 24 May 2018 - 04:13 AM, said:

If you have other IS laser vomit mechs such as a Warhammer, or Top Dog, or Grasshopper, or if you are just a QP player and better yet have a Hellbringer or Ebon or even I am sad to say a Timber, then the correct answer to the title question is: why bother?

I have had BK’s since their introduction, and even went so far as to by duplicates of a couple for CW. Sigh. They were for a short time the IS counter to just about anything the Clans could throw at you, performing even better than the once legendary ultra quirked Thunderbolt 5ss. But with the arrival of the Warhammer and the death of CW, not to mention their remodel and the loss of most of their quirks, they ceased having a reason to exist other than to look good. Nowadays there is just zero reason to run them in anything other than a mech beauty contest. As far as actual game play effectiveness, other mechs, such as those mentioned above, do what any of the BKs can do but do it without being one of thee tallest mechs in the game and without the need to expose 2/3rds of their full frontal profile to fire. But if you are going to buy one, then yeah buy for the armor quirks; but do keep in mind that if you need to rely on quirks to make a buying decision you are probably making the wrong decision, from the get go.

I have a stable of old IS mechs that are not competitive anymore and are a chore to play compared to newer mechs. It's a shame really.

#17 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:40 AM

There is also one variant that has enhanced mobility stats though I can't recall which one it is. It offers a pretty significant boost to acceleration, deceleration and turn rate making it very agile, kind of like Summoner levels of agility if I recall correctly.

#18 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:47 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 24 May 2018 - 04:13 AM, said:

You know way too many people rely on what is meta or what isn't. Some of the most fun mech I own are far, far from meta and even farther from being even remotely popular (My Executioner for example).

On the flip side while the Black Knight has its disadvantages, specifically the waste mounted hard points, it is a very solid IS mech. It has good hit boxes and excellent firepower and is fairly agile (unless you get the variant with the enhanced agility then it is really agile). It does well when peeking around corners but sucks on hills (due to the low mounts). Played to its strenghts though it is easily competitive to any mech in the game in the same general weight class. In fact due to it combo of mobility and armor quirks, it is better than quite a few Assaults,

So to the OP, feel free to buy one because it is a solid mech that falls into the above average category in my book.

#19 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:01 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 24 May 2018 - 04:47 AM, said:

You know way too many people rely on what is meta or what isn't. Some of the most fun mech I own are far, far from meta and even farther from being even remotely popular (My Executioner for example).

On the flip side while the Black Knight has its disadvantages, specifically the waste mounted hard points, it is a very solid IS mech. It has good hit boxes and excellent firepower and is fairly agile (unless you get the variant with the enhanced agility then it is really agile). It does well when peeking around corners but sucks on hills (due to the low mounts). Played to its strenghts though it is easily competitive to any mech in the game in the same general weight class. In fact due to it combo of mobility and armor quirks, it is better than quite a few Assaults,

So to the OP, feel free to buy one because it is a solid mech that falls into the above average category in my book.

Lots of mechs are “solid”, lots are “fun”.
But he asked for “the best”. The best BK imho is generally the 7L and that is due exclusively because of its quirks (armor and other). In keeping with the theme of wanting something that is “the best”, I think he is better off skipping BKs altogether is all. I am a big fan of Black Knights. I have 6. But damn near anything a BK can do is done better by a Top Dog, a Warhammer 6D, or even a Grasshopper. If you add in Clan mechs to the comparison, the mediocrity of the BKs becomes even more apparent. None of them are the best at anything regardless of them being “solid” or “fun” to play (though I really don’t find them fun anymore, even the 6), that’s all I am saying. Sales come and go, and spending your money on any BK won’t get you the best of anything.

#20 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:21 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 24 May 2018 - 05:01 AM, said:

Lots of mechs are “solid”, lots are “fun”.
But he asked for “the best”. The best BK imho is generally the 7L and that is due exclusively because of its quirks (armor and other). In keeping with the theme of wanting something that is “the best”, I think he is better off skipping BKs altogether is all. I am a big fan of Black Knights. I have 6. But damn near anything a BK can do is done better by a Top Dog, a Warhammer 6D, or even a Grasshopper. If you add in Clan mechs to the comparison, the mediocrity of the BKs becomes even more apparent. None of them are the best at anything regardless of them being “solid” or “fun” to play (though I really don’t find them fun anymore, even the 6), that’s all I am saying. Sales come and go, and spending your money on any BK won’t get you the best of anything.

I have to agree with Bud. A mech's deficiencies become really apparent after you have played it for awhile, especially against other mechs near its weight class. Even worse is when you get a better mech to play and realize what a waste it was. OP should know what he's getting.

The first cash I spent in game was the Heavy Metal. I loved the lore behind it. Unfortunately the only good way to play it was poptarting. It was much too slow to peek and shoot, it's side torsos used to blow off much too easily due to geometry. It doesn't load enough firepower to be competitive to other mechs. It was a chore to play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users