62 replies to this topic

#1 Necroledo

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:09 AM

Hi everyone!

First things first, I am just a casual, quick play player. I don't follow meta much -aside when needing inspiration for loadouts- and so far my experience with the game has been quite good, always coming back despite sometimes ocassional loses-by-stomp or even losing streaks. I enjoy the game as a fairly hard sci-fi vehicular combat simulator based on mechs, and I usually just go for the mechs I like the looks and playstyle of (just got Fafnir and enjoying every second with them).

I have a question for the community, out of curiosity. Why do most people seem to avoid the hottest maps, like Caustic Valley, Rubellite Oasis, Terra Therma, or Tourmaline Desert?

I know the question might sound silly. After all, a higher ambient temperature reduces mech cooling, which makes combat more challenging. But then again, does that justify always going for cold or temperate maps like Frozen City, Polar Highlands or River City?

Personally I find the most "extreme environment" maps the most interesting and beautiful, as we're on a sci-fi setting, and I enjoy the challenge of having to be more careful with heat. The aforementioned hot maps are my favourites and it can become quite a bummer to have to play again and again the same boring city, ice and canyon maps.

I am aware my preferences might be different from those of other players, and maybe even those of the majority of players, but I would like to know your opinion. If you don't usually vote for these maps, why so? What do you dislike about them? Is it the temperature, or something else?

In case it wasn't clear, this is not a rant of any sort. I just want to hear everyone's map preferences and hopefully spawn a nice conversation. Have a great day everyone!

Edit: Grim Plexus is not a hot map; sorry I had listed it as such before, my bad.

Edited by Necroledo, 25 May 2018 - 02:42 AM.

#2 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:09 AM

Its easy: They suck in the MechLab.

#3 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:19 AM

Why Do People Seem To Avoid Hot Maps?

because democracy fails.

if they got rid of map voting then all maps would appear in the rotation an equal number of times. which is exactly how it should be.

Edited by Khobai, 25 May 2018 - 12:24 AM.

#4 Flutterguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:25 AM

Most people run builds that maximize damage at the cost of heat. It's not unreasonable that people would try to avoid maps that put such builds at a disadvantage. This does put it more succinctly though:

View PostBishop Six, on 25 May 2018 - 12:09 AM, said:

Its easy: They suck in the MechLab.

#5 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:29 AM

View PostFlutterguy, on 25 May 2018 - 12:25 AM, said:

Most people run builds that maximize damage at the cost of heat. It's not unreasonable that people would try to avoid maps that put such builds at a disadvantage. This does put it more succinctly though:

Wrong way of thinking.

QP is random map mode. If you are a good pilot, you build your mechs to work in every circumstances.

If you build hot Lazors-Alpha-Vomits its not skill you know...Camping behind a corner, use the "teammates" as meatshield, make peeka boo 2 times and say after that you are pro gamer.... XD

I love these guys :D

#6 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:42 AM

Their heat-managementfu is weak.

#7 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:45 AM

They don't. This is a myth. Check the votes on Tourmaline.

#8 Necroledo

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:54 AM

View Postjss78, on 25 May 2018 - 12:45 AM, said:

They don't. This is a myth. Check the votes on Tourmaline.
Where can I check these votes? From my experience, I agree Tourmaline Desert and (to some extent) Rubellite Oasis are the most voted of the hot maps, but they're unlikely to be picked against colder maps, and other hot maps like Caustic Valley and Terra Therma are very unusual.

#9 roekenny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:55 AM

You will tend to find people prefer open maps over their actual temperature because of the long range meta what is going nowhere anytime soon for ....reasons. It's just by happy coincidence most cold maps are quite open.

#10 B0mb3r

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:00 AM

Grim Plexus is cold i think, now for the rest of them Tourmaline gets picked a lot cause it has EXCELLENT visibility and is probably on of the best maps in the game, if you notice most of the non picked maps are a pain in the eye.

Bog, Caustic valley, Terra Therma, Forest Colony-> after the night cycle treatment those are just unplayable. Atrocious-looking night and heat vision have to be used for the whole game duration causing mind-hysteria and mass-vomiting. Why would players want to see black-white blobs or green-tint graphics in this era of GFX cards?

Edited by B0mb3r, 25 May 2018 - 01:08 AM.

#11 sharknoise

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:21 AM

Caustic and Terra Therma are rightfully disliked because of their layout, heat issues are secondary. Caustic the worst Nascar track. TT still has the worst choke points between mountains that take ages to go around coupled with no verticality and one starting side being much harder than the other.

Rubellite and Tourmaline are voted for quite often. Maybe they appear to be hated because those who dislike heat complain about it in chat, but I doubt such people are the majority.

Grim seems to be one of the most popular maps. Only avoided after the last patch because of the disconnect bug. Is it really hot though?

#12 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:24 AM

IMO caustic is a fine map. Don't get why people got a problem with it, was fairly popular a few years ago.

#13 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:35 AM

View Postsharknoise, on 25 May 2018 - 01:21 AM, said:

Grim seems to be one of the most popular maps. Only avoided after the last patch because of the disconnect bug. Is it really hot though?

Grim is cold, not hot.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:42 AM

Laser vomit of reasonably high heat + hot map making cooling and max heat drop between 25 and 80%....doesn't mix.

Laser vomit is the strongest, simplest, and therefore most meta-ish way to go.

Now if ballistics were the most dominant meta... then hot maps would be the big favorite... as it screws missile and laser users.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:48 AM

View Postsharknoise, on 25 May 2018 - 01:21 AM, said:

TT still has the worst choke points between mountains that take ages to go around coupled with no verticality and one starting side being much harder than the other.

Huh, I used to really enjoy hiding in the mini volcanos and shooting down at people. Those mountains? Some can be climbed. Gotta be weary though as invisible walls can be kinda bad... but use them to your advantage and you can hit people and they can barely hit back...

But finding those and PGI fixing them is hard... if nobody plays it.

#16 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:49 AM

If you practice with lasers on those hot maps, they are just as effective there though.

#17 Necroledo

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:56 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 25 May 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

If you practice with lasers on those hot maps, they are just as effective there though.

Absolutely. I remember playing my first mech (a Hunchback 4P with only ML's) a lot in the old Terra Therma, and after a little bit of practice I could avoid overheating quite consistenly.

#18 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:08 AM

I like caustic and make it my goal to get this map voted. I have a whole voting strategy to build up my voting multiplier, so when Caustic comes up I'll be ready to drop my x8 to x12 multiplier on it. Sure, mining collective, HPG, Rubelite and Desert are better, but I can be sure thay will be selected anyway.

Otherwise, I tend to vote for the hottest map in the rotation, just to see all those overloaded laser builds melt down and reduced to firing at the rate of their cooling. It also helps against RACs a bit. I often override and kill myself, but it is worth it.

#19 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:13 AM

The only hot map that I don't like and will try to avoid is Terra Therma and I think its the only map that is truly avoided by most players.

Terra Therma is a mess. Too many narrow passages/chokepoints, visibility isn't all that great, takes too long to go around a lot of the terrain, there are lava streams that are hard to get out of if you fall in etc... Thats why I don't vote for it. Being hot doesn't do it any favors but isn't the reason I avoid it. I actually liked the old version and wish we could have it back. Would be interesting to see what a cold version would be like and how popular it would be.

#20 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:14 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 May 2018 - 02:42 AM, said:

Laser vomit of reasonably high heat + hot map making cooling and max heat drop between 25 and 80%....doesn't mix.

Laser vomit is the strongest, simplest, and therefore most meta-ish way to go.

Now if ballistics were the most dominant meta... then hot maps would be the big favorite... as it screws missile and laser users.

Laser meta is a good point, but UAC builds actually get quite hot too. Currently piloting an anni, and even that slight bit of ghost heat made me go back and look up how to macro.

Edited by Averen, 25 May 2018 - 03:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users