Controls

9 replies to this topic

#1 m a x

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

Hi i am new to mech warrior just want to know is it easy to play with keyboard or controller what will you recommend

#2 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

Keyboard and mouse is definitely the best and easiest way to play. You're going to have a hard time with anything else. It's just easier to aim with and maneuver with. Especially as you have to learn to deal with your legs and your torso moving separately.

#3 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:18 AM

View Postmaxpixie1, on 29 May 2018 - 09:56 AM, said:

Hi i am new to mech warrior just want to know is it easy to play with keyboard or controller what will you recommend

Mouse and keyboard. There's no aim assist for gamepads and way too many control functions to map to the measly dozen or so buttons you get on those.

#4 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

The controller might be passable if you're playing something that doesn't run fast or require a great deal of accuracy *and* you've got a good one but mostly it's just painful to spectate folks who aren't playing with a keyboard and mouse.

#5 Deeber

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 90 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:20 AM

The vast majority of players here would be using mouse and keyboard (MK). Some players (like me) prefer using joystick and throttle (hands-on-throttle-and-stick; HOTAS), but there would be very few of us. If you want to be as competitive as possible, use MK—that's what all the top players use.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:11 AM

Personally for the best experience, a Throttle stick and Mouse. Makes for a good compromise. The throttle stick allows for the best control over movement and the mouse for the best aim.

You can get away with a controller for movement, but the game is terrible with aiming controls using a controller or joystick/flightstick. Very...jerky if that's the word for it.

This was done using a Playstation 3 controller, though, once the mission starts.
Skip to 4 minutes in to skip me building the mech and to see it in game play just before the combat starts.

I know the video's old, but that was the most recent video where I played with the PS3 controller.

Since then I got a throttle stick and mouse combo.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:27 AM

Also if there's any curiosity about it, yes the build still works today. In fact its even easier to use. Can even substitute the PPCs for a myriad of other PPC types rather than the two PPC setup (14 tons, 20 damage, 90 meter min range), such as 3 light PPCs (9 tons, 15 damage, 90 meter min range), 2 Snubnose PPCs (12 tons, 20 damage but approximately half the range; no minimum range). One Heavy PPC(15 tons, 15 damage, 90 meters minimum range), 2 ER PPCs (14 tons, 20 damage, no minimum range.)

Still, I prefer and still use the classic twin standard PPCs for a good balance of range, cool temps and damage.

#8 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:31 PM

View PostKoniving, on 16 June 2018 - 05:11 AM, said:

Personally for the best experience, a Throttle stick and Mouse. Makes for a good compromise. The throttle stick allows for the best control over movement and the mouse for the best aim.

You can get away with a controller for movement, but the game is terrible with aiming controls using a controller or joystick/flightstick. Very...jerky if that's the word for it.

This was done using a Playstation 3 controller, though, once the mission starts.
Skip to 4 minutes in to skip me building the mech and to see it in game play just before the combat starts.

I know the video's old, but that was the most recent video where I played with the PS3 controller.

Since then I got a throttle stick and mouse combo.

Holy crap! That's the first time I've ever seen the old MechLab! How did you guys do it?

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:09 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 11 October 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

Holy crap! That's the first time I've ever seen the old MechLab! How did you guys do it?

That's not the old one. Older version of this mechlab.

Here is the old mechlab.

#10 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:49 PM

Hello all,

I use a CH throttle as a button bay (throttle itself is a bit awkward when trying to come to a complete stop), CH pedals for turning the legs and a Logitech MX Ergo trackball for torso twist and aiming/firing.

Works like a charm.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 11 October 2018 - 03:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users