What Are The Best Back-Stabber And Tanky Fire Support Chassis?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:23 AM

Been running Arctic Cheetahs as backstabber/crit seekers and the Urbie 68 (I think, the free one we were given) as a tanky close fire support mech. I enjoy them both but the potential builds seem limited and I'm starting to tire of how my Cheetah's arms fall off if something looks at them.

So what other mech chassis (of any size, not just lights) fill this role well in QP? I'm pretty out of the loop as, aside from the last week or so, I haven't played MWO in a couple years.

#2 Old dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:29 AM

Locust best backstabber
Best light fire support doesnt exist

Edit: piranha also best backstabber

Edited by Old dirty B, 31 May 2018 - 06:29 AM.

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:40 AM

If you really, really want to wreak backsides:

PIR-1
ACW-1

#4 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:42 AM

My favorites are:

ASN-21
ASN-23
JVN-10P

#5 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:59 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 31 May 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

If you really, really want to wreak backsides:

PIR-1
ACW-1

How are these in terms of survivability? I know the Pir is basically wet paper, which isn't that appealing. I've heard the wolves are flimsy too but they seem to have compareable speed, armor and size to my cheetah's which (aside from their arms) are pretty decent.

My favorites are:

ASN-21
ASN-23
JVN-10P

I've been thinking about trying the ASN, tinkering with builds in the store. Don't really know anything about the JVN though.

#6 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:09 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 31 May 2018 - 06:23 AM, said:

Been running Arctic Cheetahs as backstabber/crit seekers and the Urbie 68 (I think, the free one we were given) as a tanky close fire support mech. I enjoy them both but the potential builds seem limited and I'm starting to tire of how my Cheetah's arms fall off if something looks at them.

So what other mech chassis (of any size, not just lights) fill this role well in QP? I'm pretty out of the loop as, aside from the last week or so, I haven't played MWO in a couple years.

Best back stabber? Any 100 ton mech! If they do get behind someone, they are probably going to drop fast...

Sarcasm aside, anything fast that can take a lot of hard hitting weapons (typically boating SLs) tend to do well. If it can take ECM and/or stealth armor, all the better. However, anything of this role probably isn't going to be considered "tanky" in any form.

For a tanky fire support, Jeagermechs/Riflemen aren't too bad. The Annihilator can also do this, with extreme tankyness, just be careful of the low arm mounts. Stalker and Battlemaster can do it well too... Basically, anything with high weapon mounts and of reasonable weight can perform the task. Tankyness depends upon the individual mech.

#7 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:45 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 31 May 2018 - 06:59 AM, said:

I've been thinking about trying the ASN, tinkering with builds in the store. Don't really know anything about the JVN though.

My favorite ASN-23 builds are:

3 ASRM6 - https://mwo.smurfy-n...1e703cdd3db5674

3 MPL / 3 SRM4 - https://mwo.smurfy-n...2aa863e4ca4185f

The Javelin is like a smaller, faster, more rapid fire version of this. The JVN-10P is the only one I'd recommend, because it can do 6x SRM2 https://mwo.smurfy-n...26f7ed561c72411 very well. The recent buff to SRM2, lowering it's heat, made this one go from slightly too hot to perfect. It's one of my most frequently used light mechs in Faction games, my deck with 2x ANH, 2x JVN is a lot of fun.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 31 May 2018 - 07:46 AM.

#8 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:29 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 31 May 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

My favorite ASN-23 builds are:

3 ASRM6 - https://mwo.smurfy-n...1e703cdd3db5674

3 MPL / 3 SRM4 - https://mwo.smurfy-n...2aa863e4ca4185f

The Javelin is like a smaller, faster, more rapid fire version of this. The JVN-10P is the only one I'd recommend, because it can do 6x SRM2 https://mwo.smurfy-n...26f7ed561c72411 very well. The recent buff to SRM2, lowering it's heat, made this one go from slightly too hot to perfect. It's one of my most frequently used light mechs in Faction games, my deck with 2x ANH, 2x JVN is a lot of fun.

Interesting, what skill set up are you using for the ASN and JVN? Also have you tried the ASN 21? I seem to see that one with the 4x SRM4 build semi-often, not sure I've ever seen the 3 SRM6 build though.

#9 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 31 May 2018 - 06:59 AM, said:

How are these in terms of survivability? I know the Pir is basically wet paper, which isn't that appealing. I've heard the wolves are flimsy too but they seem to have compareable speed, armor and size to my cheetah's which (aside from their arms) are pretty decent.

Survivabulity and back stabbers are often at opposing ends of the spectrum... the most survivable mech in the game is the slowest, while the best back stabber is the fastest.

This is due to the fact that backstabbers need speed to get into position to deliver their payload into the soft (often minimally protected) rear armour, in other words they survive by speed and map knowledge, not so much taking a hit.

#10 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

The ASN-21 used to be the favorite with the 4 SRM4, but it was nerfed by having it's armor quirks removed and replaced with structure quirks. It's still pretty good, but the ASN-23 still has all it's armor, and 3 ASRM6 is just as good as 4 SRM4. So the ASN-23 has better armor and fairly equal missile capability. And has the option of a laser fist. I like it more.

I use a skill build like this - https://kitlaan.gitl...e717b#s=Weapons

Lots of firepower, some armor, full speed tweak, double coolshot double strike.

#11 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 31 May 2018 - 08:32 AM, said:

Survivabulity and back stabbers are often at opposing ends of the spectrum... the most survivable mech in the game is the slowest, while the best back stabber is the fastest.

This is due to the fact that backstabbers need speed to get into position to deliver their payload into the soft (often minimally protected) rear armour, in other words they survive by speed and map knowledge, not so much taking a hit.

Well obviously everything is relative. When I was referring to survivability I was speaking in the context of other such mechs. For example I can routinely push my Arctic Cheetah to the point where literally every component is destroyed before I actually die and have survived on nothing but a single ST and a couple HML's more often than not. By contrast it looks like PIR wouldn't have anywhere close to that kind of stamina and relies entirely on just not being shot at to begin with. I guess I like the idea of being able to dust it up if and when I have too even if my main objective is too look for open components and backsides to crit.

I was exclusively a Jenner pilot back in Closed Beta and I loved being able to get into duels with other lights who were scouting or dancing through furballs. Really felt like a test of piloting skill back in those days. Doesn't really happen anymore with four extra mechs on the field and LRM's being a complete deciding factor in any light fight, but lights do feel better than they did last I played.

View PostEisenhorne, on 31 May 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

The ASN-21 used to be the favorite with the 4 SRM4, but it was nerfed by having it's armor quirks removed and replaced with structure quirks. It's still pretty good, but the ASN-23 still has all it's armor, and 3 ASRM6 is just as good as 4 SRM4. So the ASN-23 has better armor and fairly equal missile capability. And has the option of a laser fist. I like it more.

I use a skill build like this - https://kitlaan.gitl...e717b#s=Weapons

Lots of firepower, some armor, full speed tweak, double coolshot double strike.

Ahh I see. Nothing in Sensors? I would have thought target info gathering speed would have been important. Also don't think I've used the mobility tree on anything since I've been back, my lights really haven't seemed to need it give the point investment it costs.

Anyway yeah I'm going to give the ASN a shot, looks like it should be fun and already falls kinda in line with how I've been playing.

Edited by Quxudica, 31 May 2018 - 09:19 AM.

#12 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

Yea, I don't use anything in sensors, getting target locks isn't usually a problem, you have plenty of time as you approach the enemy's back. If not, just shoot for the back and you'll be golden in any case. Speed tweak is expensive, but what else are you going to spend the points on? Survivability doesn't get you THAT much of a benefit, and there's plenty of points already spent in firepower. Radar Dep might be a viable option in Sensors, but the difference in going 120 vs 129 is pretty big.

#13 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

i would use the Panther 10P. with skilltree it gets 62 CT armor (6 rear), 47 ST armor, hits 128kph and gets a massive 37% cooldown on any ballistic mounted on it. I run either an AC10 or LB10 and a RL10. Armored speedy rapid firing.
The AC10 and LB1o get a fire rate of 1.4 seconds (stock AC5 is 1.66)

Skilltree: 45/70 firepower, 26/35 survival, 20/40 mobility. Since it cannot overheat (cant do it) heat nodes are useless as is Operations or coolshots

https://mwo.smurfy-n...3caf4e774879f8c

Edited by VitriolicViolet, 02 June 2018 - 03:50 PM.

#14 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:06 AM

You can always backstab them with this - PRETTY BABY Posted Image

Here's my LRM AS7-D, but it also has an AC/20 and 4 Medium Lasers so your team will only be half-upset with you. Posted Image

Edited by Elizander, 09 June 2018 - 09:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users