3 replies to this topic

#1 Herr Bumpkin

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

Greetings, Mechwarriors!
As a dedicated Light Mech Driver, I always am looking for like-minded souls with whom I can exchange tips and strategies. I recently dove into the world of the Piranha and would be delighted to share some thoughts with you all.
Many of my light mechs work really well as "strikers"- dive in, hit hard, run out. I run a Commando with three SRM-2's and a mostly decorative medium laser that does this quite well. Low heat, quick firing, fast and deadly to anyone not really paying attention. I figured I would try this tactic out with my Piranha 1 and the Cipher. Big mistake.
After being plastered all over the map, I realized that the Piranhas didn't have the staying power of even the most fragile Commandos. They die if you look at them too hard or use harsh language with them. However, with some practice, I was able to find their niche.
With some patience, I waited for battle to be joined and larger, slower mechs to lose armor. Finding weak points where there was no protection was *vital* for using the Piranha. However, once there was a soft spot, the Piranha 1 and Cipher slips in and delivers killing shots like no one else. Perfect battlefield jackal.
Try these vicious little beasts out. They are absolutely a blast. If you have ideas or suggestions, chime in!

Happy Hunting!

#2 BWS2K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:27 PM

I haven't had the pleasure of driving one yet but there's another strategy you can use if a match is stalling or whatever, where you basically throw the opponents into disarray. PIR's are made of tissue paper and catch the attention of anyone looking for an easy kill. If you spatter a couple of the Reds into turning towards you while informing your team that you're going to be doing this, you can often pull some greedy Reds away from the frontline and let your buddies push successfully. The trick, of course, is to not die immediately, lol. Good times!

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:15 AM

Sounds like fun. This may have gotten more attention in General Chat as opposed to General Chat - Battletech (tabletop and HBS BT).

#4 Herr Bumpkin

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for the replies, folks- my first post :) I played last night on quick play and hooked up with a few other Piranha players as a 2-3 light mech pack. Absolutely devastated the field! As a small group, these mechs are brutal, even more so than the other lights I've piloted. (Commandos, Ravens, Mist Lynx). I am going to test out some of the ideas you folks mentioned and will bring back the results.

Good hunting!
Bumpkin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users