Solaris 7 Dirty Legging Queue Time

37 replies to this topic

#1 Av3 M0rt3m

Rookie

• WC 2018 Participant
  • WC 2018 Participant
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:49 AM

When Solaris was first announced I was extremely excited for the game mode. When Solaris was launched, I absolutely LOVED the game mode and was playing it constantly with the 60-second queue time and enjoyed the gameplay although I did feel the payouts were a little subpar, especially in the XP line because you weren’t getting the opportunity for as many “extras” (Solo Kill, KMDD, Scouting, etc.) like you did in QP. The game mode to me was exciting, despite running into what I considered to be sub-par tactics (dirty leggers) and I really hoped it would continue.

With the May patch the queing time was raised to 180 seconds (3-minutes) from 60 seconds (1-minute) in an attempt to “increase the pool” of players who would queue up. Unfortunately, this has not been my experience. While this change did come with C-Bill and XP boosts, the wait time in between matches has really dragged on the experience. Additionally I feel the pool of players has thinned because of this time suck. There is an irony

So I would make the following 4 suggestions to make the Solaris Game Mode both vibrant and quick again:

Queue Time Reduction - While I understand the reasoning behind the queue time increase, tripling it seems a bit too much. While I would like to see a return to the 60-second queue time, I think a 90-second queue time would also be fine. While a 120-second queue time may seem also in range, I just think that is again about 30-seconds too long BUT it would still be an improvement over the current situation.

ELO Penalty for “Dirty Legging - One of the behaviors/tactics used be a number of Mechwarriors is the practice of “legging” an opponent, winning through focusing on a mech’s legs. While some of this is accidental, the majority is purposeful and undoubtedly displeases the Solaris crowds as much as it does the honorable Mechwarriors.

To help deter this abhorrent behavior, I suggest an ELO penalty for winning strictly through leg destruction. If all you do is shoot the legs, and fail to at least open up one of the other six components to structure, I recommend a -75% ELO penalty. In the same vein, the victim of these hollow low blow victories will only be penalized the reduced ELO amount. For example, if Mechwarrior Victor legs Mechwarrior Kai, Victor’s ELO win is reduced to 4 and Kai’s ELO loss is similarily reduced to 4.

This penalty will NOT get rid of legging, but I think it is a better solution than a lot of the other ones I’ve seen and does not penalize for the single “dead leg” strategy. Considering the palty Solaris payouts, I don’t necessarily think that penalty should extend to C-Bills or XP but definitely to Accolades.

“Any Division" Button - I saw this suggested elsewhere in the forums, and I think it’s a great idea to have a button that if you press it, regardless of the Division you are in, you will be matched somewhere across any of the Solaris Divisions if there is no one queuing in yours. I have seen “Drop Deck” suggestions made for Solaris, but honestly if you look at the mechs in the Solaris screen they already are in a “Drop Deck” format. This button would allow you to voluntarily go to whichever Division has a single person in queue so you can have a match. For those who may not have Mechs readied for every Division, they probably shouldn’t use this button or be prepared for a drop in a Trial Mech.

Shorten Solaris Seasons - Currently the Solaris Season is set for 90 days, but the Quick Play Season is set for 30 days. I would suggest that the Solaris Season be reduced to 30 days to align with Quick Play. If you really want something with a 90-day “Season”, then perhaps Quick Play should be the game mode.

These are, as mentioned above, just my suggestions and I am totally open to hearing more and working out what will be best for my absolute favorite game mode, Solaris.

Edited by Av3 M0rt3m, 03 June 2018 - 06:51 AM.

#2 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

Legging is a viable tactic if you are out tonned.

#3 Old dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

1v1 anything goes - go dirty and never look back ;)

#4 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:04 PM

Solaris 1v1 is the most fun I have had in MWO in almost a year, we get up to 28 in a single 1v1 div queue when RJBASS, Nuttyrat, Starwolfe and others do it on stream, we even had 10 2v2 teams going at one stage ! and when they dont I can get a 1v1 game every 6 minutes at worst 24/7.

Having said that it is very sad to see how small the numbers playing it are, and the 3 minute wait timer where you cant do anything else at same time is not helping(except when the game bugs out and lets me go into mech lab while in queue (so it is POSSIBLE!!!)). Need 1 minute queue timer, but with a ssr raquirement of within 200 1st minute, within 300 2nd minute and anything at 3rd minute, if it cant find you someone else in the "anything phase 3rd minute" it finds someone at 2nd minute or failing that 1st minute.

If you get left out of matches it checks all divisions for someone else left out of matches and asks you if you are willing to go to their div instead.

If you get left out of matches it does not make you sit in queue for the next 3 minutes but REMEMBERS that you got left out last time you queued and prioritises you for a match next time you queue.

The QP XP event the weekend solaris 1v1 launched was a bad idea.

Can we get a solaris event ?

Leggins is fine, ive been beaten by leg shielding and beaten people by leg shielding plenty of times.

The Starting Camera that shows your opponent is bad for diversity of mechs, it is of more detriment to lights than assaults queueing, please remove it, would increase the intensity/what am i up against?! split second to adjut play style when you see them.

#5 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

Maybe one minute rolling que in general, up to two if no opponent within 200 ELO is found. Wide disparity matches aren't fun for either party. New players don't like being stomped and higher tier players don't need to chase 4 points with a potential loss of > 25 if they run into a hard counter.

Make it 2 of 3 falls (award Cbills etc. for all rounds). Increases play time for que time, undermines cheese.

A "junk" division and a "super heavyweight" or "unlimited" division are fine but the five intermediate ones all gravitate towards using either the most heavily armored AC boat or a counter to that. Four split by weight class would be better with an option to que for a higher/any opponent. So new divisions would be:

Div1: Best performing 'Mechs (the current D1 list is a fine starting point)
Div2: Assault.
Div3: Heavy.
Div4: Medium
Div5: Light
Div6: Bum fights.

Bad assaults can be relegated to the heavy division based on data.

Edited by SmokedJag, 03 June 2018 - 05:37 PM.

#6 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

View PostGhost Paladin117, on 03 June 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

Ghosty legged me for the win 6/7 times.

He has a very optimized mech/style/tactics for legging. I appreciate that it is effective, but it is not how 95% of us play this game.

A small -2 adjustment should be a reasonable accommodation, with a +2 adjustment to the opponents Elo score.

This would soften the impact of the tactic on everyone.

Above is from an admin perspective, personally...

It was very frustrating playing today against an onslaught of lights legging in the top 3 divisions. To follow that up div 3 King Crabs... I personally try not to leg, wall hump, or just take the meta...but that was all I faced today...I was going to stream, but it just wasn't fun.

Edited by Surn, 03 June 2018 - 07:01 PM.

#7 Old dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:49 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 03 June 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

... The Starting Camera that shows your opponent is bad for diversity of mechs, it is of more detriment to lights than assaults queueing, please remove it, would increase the intensity/what am i up against?! split second to adjut play style when you see them.

This would improve Solaris big time! This information about your opponent removes so much varieties and possibilities and automatically pushes both players in a default approach and tactic.

#8 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:55 AM

I forgot the other big problem thats easy to fix. Oceanic vs European server games. Leave NA vs .... games as they are but put EU vs OCE matches on the NA server please.

#9 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:38 AM

Removing the camera, removes the arena component of the fight.

#10 Old dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:43 AM

Well you could just see half of the cinematic intro, just and only your mech entering the arena but not your opponents.

But in the end, “sacraficing” a cinematic intro for better gameplay should be a no brainer...

#11 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:37 AM

View PostOld dirty B, on 03 June 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

This would improve Solaris big time! This information about your opponent removes so much varieties and possibilities and automatically pushes both players in a default approach and tactic.

This in and of itself is gameplay skill. Correctly identifying chassis and threat at a glance and trying to figure where that 'Mech will go or try to do once it realizes what *you* are.

I also think it's more fair because while there are some builds that gain an advantage from complete ignorance (stealth lights), it's much more common that an ignorant move will guarantee a match loss through what amounts to chance. No one likes that experience; it was one of the reasons that Gauss/PPC was nerfed because getting shot for 50 unavoidable damage to one component is a bad mechanic.

Edited by SmokedJag, 04 June 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#12 Av3 M0rt3m

Rookie

• WC 2018 Participant
  • WC 2018 Participant
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:51 AM

View PostGhost Paladin117, on 03 June 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

I actually do agree with this, such as when there's a Light going against an Assault... but an Assault trying to leg win on a Heavy isn't what should be happening... but it is.

It also seems quite a few Top 10 Players are avid Leggers (ran into 3 of them over the weekend) and I don't think it should be such an easy way onto the Leaderboard... hence why I recommended a penalty on ELO gain as opposed to some of the other recommendations I've seen.

#13 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

I concur that the cinematics are good. It is atmosphere and removing it just gives an advantage to the edge tactic players, aka lights.

I think they just want assaults to walk into the open where they are defenseless, to be legged. It is already a borderline exploit tactic and this would just make it worse.

Lights in the assault divisions is annoying. It makes diversity of mechs almost impossible. So now, all we get is KCrabs in Div2.. and occasionally a new player who cant afford a KCrab.

I have been playing a couple Div 2 mechs, a KDK and a NGR just to make it hard for people to guess what map to choose...but because of piranha I built a couple King Crabs. Which just plays more into the meta of all KCrabs all day div 2.

So now, all the diversity of my play will be guessing which KCrab I am in when choosing maps. SNOOZE

Edited by Surn, 05 June 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#14 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:34 AM

View PostSurn, on 03 June 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

He has a very optimized mech/style/tactics for legging. I appreciate that it is effective, but it is not how 95% of us play this game.

A small -2 adjustment should be a reasonable accommodation, with a +2 adjustment to the opponents Elo score.

This would soften the impact of the tactic on everyone.

Above is from an admin perspective, personally...

It was very frustrating playing today against an onslaught of lights legging in the top 3 divisions. To follow that up div 3 King Crabs... I personally try not to leg, wall hump, or just take the meta...but that was all I faced today...I was going to stream, but it just wasn't fun.

I'm sorry, but it seems you have been misled about what Solaris is all about. Someone clearly gave you the impression that Solaris was about honorable combat where two warriors with totally unique builds and equal skill duke it out to a narrow win or loss. That's not correct. Solaris is about using the most effective mechs and tactics to as quickly and effectively achieve a win and graduate higher in the rankings. There are no dirty tactics, there are only viable tactics. If you're not legging, then you're playing the game wrong and you need to correct yourself. I don't say this to insult you, but to help you adjust your frame of thinking.

This is not unique to the game, either, as far as I'm aware. Solaris in lore is riddled with tricks FAR more dirty than this, not to mention plain dishonorable actions like disabling an enemy mech completely to then waltz up and destroy the cockpit to purposely kill the enemy pilot. If you want actual honorable combat, then you'll have to wait for a Clan-based equivalent to Solaris.

#15 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

I'll take you seriously on one condition OP: Can you tell me what ELO stands for?

Edited by RickySpanish, 05 June 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#16 Rick T Dangerous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 354 posts
  • LocationExactly above Earth's center

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

View PostAv3 M0rt3m, on 03 June 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

ELO Penalty for “Dirty Legging - One of the behaviors/tactics used be a number of Mechwarriors is the practice of “legging” an opponent, winning through focusing on a mech’s legs. While some of this is accidental, the majority is purposeful and undoubtedly displeases the Solaris crowds as much as it does the honorable Mechwarriors.

To help deter this abhorrent behavior, I suggest an ELO penalty for winning strictly through leg destruction. If all you do is shoot the legs, and fail to at least open up one of the other six components to structure, I recommend a -75% ELO penalty. In the same vein, the victim of these hollow low blow victories will only be penalized the reduced ELO amount. For example, if Mechwarrior Victor legs Mechwarrior Kai, Victor’s ELO win is reduced to 4 and Kai’s ELO loss is similarily reduced to 4.

This penalty will NOT get rid of legging, but I think it is a better solution than a lot of the other ones I’ve seen and does not penalize for the single “dead leg” strategy. Considering the palty Solaris payouts, I don’t necessarily think that penalty should extend to C-Bills or XP but definitely to Accolades.

Though I understand the motivation, this idea would not solve the problem.
Look at how it's now: some folks use the cheesy mechs and get lots of wins, so their ELO is high. Then spectate a match with two high ELO pilots and you might see two dudes in Annihilators standing on their favorite hills and sending long range dakka at each other. That's how they got their high ELO and their ranking: by going boring, playing it "save" and hiding behind armor quirks, doing the META (Massively Exploiting Tech Advantages).
Your idea of giving an ELO penalty for legging would result in the legging people being longer in the medium ELO bracket, spoiling the fun for everybody else that has to play in that bracket. People just getting into S7 would quickly stop playing, thinking that S7 is all about legging. Or worse: they would stay and adopt that bad habit.
Also, leggers in S7 aren't that big of a problem. They tend to stare down on your legs without twisting, so you can core them faster than they can take both your legs. Just don't forget to use all chat to tell them "...AND DON'T LEG!" after you scored that easy kill.

#17 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:28 AM

View PostRick T Dangerous, on 05 June 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

Though I understand the motivation, this idea would not solve the problem.
Look at how it's now: some folks use the cheesy mechs and get lots of wins, so their ELO is high. Then spectate a match with two high ELO pilots and you might see two dudes in Annihilators standing on their favorite hills and sending long range dakka at each other. That's how they got their high ELO and their ranking: by going boring, playing it "save" and hiding behind armor quirks, doing the META (Massively Exploiting Tech Advantages).
Your idea of giving an ELO penalty for legging would result in the legging people being longer in the medium ELO bracket, spoiling the fun for everybody else that has to play in that bracket. People just getting into S7 would quickly stop playing, thinking that S7 is all about legging. Or worse: they would stay and adopt that bad habit.
Also, leggers in S7 aren't that big of a problem. They tend to stare down on your legs without twisting, so you can core them faster than they can take both your legs. Just don't forget to use all chat to tell them "...AND DON'T LEG!" after you scored that easy kill.

I am not gonna lie, sometimes I go for legs but that is when I am at a severe tonnage disadvantage and that is a legitimate strategy. Anyone who disagrees is just salty.

#18 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:32 PM

View PostSurn, on 03 June 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

The irony of "not how 95% of us play the game"

And yet a few nights ago you came straight for my legs.

ok. Posted Image

#19 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:08 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 June 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

The irony of "not how 95% of us play the game"

And yet a few nights ago you came straight for my legs.

ok. Posted Image

Like I said if you outweigh someone don't be surprised if they go for legs.

Edited by Ghost Paladin117, 10 June 2018 - 06:16 PM.

#20 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:43 AM

PGI invested so much effort in Solaris yet somehow it fails. If you ask me, they themselves are their own undoing. People complain about the long load times affecting cbills/h when Solaris was just released, PGI resolved the issue by loading only the game mode that players are in (not loading FP/CP when playing Solaris only). Everyone was happy.
Then they shoot themselves in the bloody foot during the May patch by increasing queue time to 180s. So now players have a longer down-time and cbills/h drops. Now even less people play Solaris before the patch hit the live server and that game mode dies even faster.
Until PGI devote a sizeable amount of time playing their own game, I would highly suggest that they do community polls with regards to game changes. Because it seems that almost every single thing that they touch has resulted in a deterioration in gameplay. Faction Play, LRM velocity, BNC-3M hardpoints, JM6 armor redistribution and etc. Prominent players in the community have said that nerfs and buffs to a mech should not be solely based on a 1v1 game mode yet PGI still thinks they know best. To think that they even wanted to nerf the Clans bread and butter (high alpha laser vomit) shows how out of touch they are with the gameplay of their OWN game. In all honesty I think PGI is just out there milking their cash cows with mechpacks. When is the last time FP had an event? Tukayyid back in November. When is the last time QP had an event? Whenever there's mechpacks to sell. It is just so pathetic how PGI is treating its players, especially those who have been playing the game for years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users