68 replies to this topic

#1 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:28 PM

Ermmmm.... ok then, I predict the exit of many "Comp" Teams from this game or at least from MWOWC.

#2 poopenshire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 684 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

[mod]

Please please please keep it civil guys. I am a lazy person and don't want to keep the peace here.

If your upset say that you're upset and why. I will leave those be, but if you break the rules I will have to remove content and since you all know me well, you know I hate doing this and that it will be me doing so.

[/mod]

Edited by poopenshire, 04 June 2018 - 03:55 PM.

#3 Asrrin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 200 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:06 PM

This is beyond nonsense. This is not competitive. This is not going to be fun, and PGI is going to lose a good chunk of it's competitive players over this.

#4 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

When lore gets in the way of the highest skill tournament

#5 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:47 PM

Sounded like a fun idea to me. But I guess not so fun for the people who have to play in the tournament?

#6 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:38 PM

Another bad decision. Who in their right mind would want to watch mechs with less than half their armor, single heatsinks, 1 ton of ammo, slow standard engines, the worst loadouts fight.

From a spectator viewpoint this is such a huge let down PGI.

We wanted to see epic matches, not pathetic excuses for matches.

#7 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:22 AM

But Russ says this will get all us "beer league"level players suddenly interested in the comp scene! LOL!!!

Like yeah, that's what all us laid back, play for an hour or two after work, "beer league" level players are going to do...get interested playing competitively because you take away the mech lab and force us to play with mechs with little armor, mixed load outs, and standard heat sinks.

Yeah. That makes perfect sense.

#8 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:20 AM

I don't drin, so I am not a Beer League player, but I am definitely not a competitive player. I am eager to see how competitive players will deal with this (assuming they play and don't run away as fast as they can). But I doubt that "Stock Mode" is in any way interesting to *play* myself.

I played during the Beta phase of this game, even before they brought Double Heat Sinks and Gauss Rifles into the game. And it was very obvious then that stock mechs were _all_ too hot. Mechs could produce at least 2 times as much heat as they were designed for originally. But we already had a mech lab then, so no player actually had to deal with this in practice. They'd just enter the mech lab, remove some guns or replace them with lighter ones, and add heat sinks to make the mech fun and effective to play.

The "Beer League" players then already decided that mechs were too hot and not effective or fun to play. I see no reason why their opinion would change now.

The competitive players I am certain can adapt and develop a new meta. I have no idea how it would look, and maybe it will be interesting to watch. I reserve some doubts. The meta could be ugly, say, a new "narcolepsy" meta where mechs shoot each other like mad hoping they can kill all enemy AC/20s before they shut down and can use that AC/20 to headshot the sleeping hotties in front of them.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 05 June 2018 - 03:20 AM.

#9 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:31 AM

Of the 48 chassis, 33 have a variant that MAY be viable for Range Or brawl.

Of the 152 mechs listed (including doubleups from champion etc), 62 (including double up from champion etc) may be / could be seen without being laughed at during the intial months of mwowc.

Of the 152 listed i count 16 mechs that may be seen in the semi's .
of 28 variants i consider ok for the intial months i have 13 so i guess i am doing better than most.

Actually I narrowed it down to 8 mechs. and i only have 3 of them and one thats arguably almost as good as the 4th.

I am not bloody buying and leveling mechs for this, and the "beer warriors" you hope this will bring into comp play that only play a few hours a night and you hope will spend money to get these dont have enough time to level them up with only a few weeks.

#10 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:13 AM

Yeah, not the best idea PGI. What are these guys thinking? I'm not a competitive player really, but if I were interested in partaking, this would certainly make me want to drop out right quick. Maybe PGI's idea of balance is pissing EVERYONE off?

#11 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:16 AM

The bad: it’s like making LeBron James and Stephen Curry shoot tiny foam basketballs at a plastic hoop hung over a door, in order to determine the NBA title....it’s ridiculous
The good: Would I watch LeBron and Steph do this?....yes, yes I would.

#12 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:28 AM

Have any of you guys moaning and whining actually ever actually played competitive stock vs stock games?
Foam ball basketball? Seriously... if you think piloting slower, less armoured and hotter mechs is easier than the usual min-max gameplay, then you will be sorely disappointed in your own results.

Setting up a viable team of 8 mechs which can each play a useful role, are maneuverable enough to actually keep 3-5 cap points as well as stand a chance of taking damage and giving out damage is a challenge in itself.
You don't have to worry about how to build the mech and distribute components and so on... but finding mechs which are actually good and then playing them as a coherent team is just as much of a challenge as in the past tournaments.

#13 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 05 June 2018 - 08:28 AM, said:

Have any of you guys moaning and whining actually ever actually played competitive stock vs stock games?
Foam ball basketball? Seriously... if you think piloting slower, less armoured and hotter mechs is easier than the usual min-max gameplay, then you will be sorely disappointed in your own results.

Setting up a viable team of 8 mechs which can each play a useful role, are maneuverable enough to actually keep 3-5 cap points as well as stand a chance of taking damage and giving out damage is a challenge in itself.
You don't have to worry about how to build the mech and distribute components and so on... but finding mechs which are actually good and then playing them as a coherent team is just as much of a challenge as in the past tournaments.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that it’s easier to play Stock-mode...just that it’s a much less evolved way to play the game and doesn’t come close represent the best of the game as it currently is. To try another analogy.....The Cavs and the Warriors play basketball for the NBA title....just using Dr. Naismith’s original basketball rules. It would be still basketball, doable and even more of a challenge actually...but I get why the top teams might not be down with it. Would be fun to watch, but less fun to have to change the way you play to compete at the highest levels.

#14 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

And how would we have done that? It's not a game mode PGI has ever offered in the past. Since it's only ever been a private lobby thing, many of us haven't done it. While it sounds fun, I don't appreciate being told I have 2 weeks to figure out how to pay an entirely new game mode before the freaking world championship.

If PGI wanted to have a stock World Championship, then they should have offered a quick play mode for stock months ago to prep for this.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 05 June 2018 - 09:39 AM.

#15 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 05 June 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

And how would we have done that? It's not a game mode PGI has ever offered in the past. Since it's only ever been a private lobby thing, many of us haven't done it. While it sounds fun, I don't appreciate being told I have 2 weeks to figure out how to pay an entirely new game mode before the freaking world championship.

If PGI wanted to have a stock World Championship, then they should have offered a quick play mode for stock months ago to prep for this.

I agree with what you are saying. There should have been more than 2 weeks run up between the announcement and the start of the tournament. However, don't be scared of playing in the stock mechs... you have to keep in mind that you are not playing stock mechs against a team of ERPPC/ATM/Heavy Gauss mechs... your opponents will have to fight against the same constraints as you are.
What I would suggest to start up is to get a team set up (what you would need with or without the stock mode rules anyway) and first split up into 4 or more player teams and open up a private Lobby on Terra Therma with stock loadout and no quirks/skilltrees enabled.
If you can manage to consistently kill each other (and not always overheat yourselves to death) on that map with no skilltree/Quirk help, then playing stock mechs on cooler maps with the help of quirks/skills is simple... all that is needed is to figure out, which mechs are meta (a hint here is, dont look only at the weapons, but also take Armour, ammo and heatsinks into consideration) and what tactics you want to use... after those points have been clarified, playing comp stock games is no different than playing comp open games.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 05 June 2018 - 10:29 AM.

#16 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

MWOWC 2016 was the Golden Age of MWO Comp
MWOWC 2017 was the Silver Age of MWO Comp
MWOWC 2018 will be the Dumpster Fire Age of MWO Comp

#17 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:20 PM

I played some scrims in stock mode. Was funny for the first drop since the lobby host snuck it in. Then it got really boring really fast for everybody.

#18 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

Played a tournament in Stock-Mode with 3025 Mechs. Was incredible... not only to play, but also to watch the other teams on the stream.
I welcome this!

#19 VaudeVillain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:32 PM

Forget stock. Level 1, 3025 era tech, customizable 'Mechs, excluding Star League 'Mechs too. Much more fun than stock. Then again, more fun that 3050+

#20 Jexvrok

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:34 PM

i like this idea for competitive play. and if you are a competitive player in any game, you spend the time to figure out what works and what doesn't with the given rules. i like the idea of being forced to try something different and at the moment difficult to figure out.
welcome to hard mode :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users