#61 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 31 July 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

Any noobie can kick butt in a custom cheese mech build he found on google . This is good for balance , good for testing the best of the best players . This is also nice and different , A breath of fresh air . I am sure every other tournament has had cheesy builds and clan mechs . Whoever wins the prize will truly deserve it .

I am quite excited to watch the fun and games .

You are the kind of person this tournament was designed to attract then, since you like the idea. Are you going to compete?

#62 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:04 PM

The 2018 winners are gonna have some serious brag rights . Winning in a trash mech makes you ten times better than all winners of yesteryear .

A battlemech with two arms , back armour and able to engage at multiple range ? That's amazing .

Now all we need for a perfect esport entertainment is a close up of one or two team buddies breaking down and crying in public .

Edited by Pain G0D, 31 July 2018 - 03:30 PM.

#63 Phyrce

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:38 PM

View PostPain G0D, on 31 July 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

The 2018 winners are gonna have some serious brag rights . Winning in a trash mech makes you ten times better than all winners of yesteryear .

A battlemech with two arms , back armour and able to engage at multiple range ? That's amazing .

Now all we need for a perfect esport entertainment is a close up of one or two team buddies breaking down and crying in public .

Because none of the actual quality players actually competed because the rule set was a mockery of what competitive play is about? There is no out thinking or outbuilding your opponent its all about lucky shots and who figured what the least worst mech was. Sounds awesome.

#64 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:01 PM

View PostPain G0D, on 31 July 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

You do realize that winning in a trash mech only grants bragging rights if your opponents are not also running trash mechs, yes?

#65 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:54 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 07 August 2018 - 08:01 PM, said:

You do realize that winning in a trash mech only grants bragging rights if your opponents are not also running trash mechs, yes?

I found it pretty fun overall. I did *not* find it more challenging than regular mech drops - honestly it made the "mech shoot flashcard game" part (what enemy can do what) vastly easier. It seems like teams had to dedicate a lot harder to a specific strat (range, brawl, cap, etc) and mech variety was higher if only because it mattered a bit less because all the mechs were pretty bad.

Population seemed much lower and even regularly competitive teams seemed to struggle to get people in to play. While I was never a proponent of a stock mech gamemode for MWO this did reaffirm for me that it wouldn't be that fun and wouldn't be popular.

I still get why PGI did this, it'll be more useful for the MW5 release and will probably increase viewership a bit but I get why so few participated.

#66 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

We lost no less than a dozen people across our three squads due to lack of excitement over the mode.

While I still enjoy the intensity that competitive play brings, the overall fun factor for me has been definitely reduced.

In the end it hurts MWO and likely in my opinion MW5. I'm a die hard BT fan, hell I own hardcopies of almost every novel written of the damned genre. And even with MW5 being the only available "next chapter" of the IP available in the near future, the handling of MWO gives me serious pause.

There is a very good chance they've lost even a fan as strong as myself, which doesn't bode well for the casuals, the less nostalgic etc. Unfortunately, the one trick pony that is HBS-BT and its stability rocking LRMs, failed to keep me excited for the franchise after a singular pass through of the game.

#67 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:34 AM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 09 August 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

We lost no less than a dozen people across our three squads due to lack of excitement over the mode.

While I still enjoy the intensity that competitive play brings, the overall fun factor for me has been definitely reduced.

In the end it hurts MWO and likely in my opinion MW5. I'm a die hard BT fan, hell I own hardcopies of almost every novel written of the damned genre. And even with MW5 being the only available "next chapter" of the IP available in the near future, the handling of MWO gives me serious pause.

There is a very good chance they've lost even a fan as strong as myself, which doesn't bode well for the casuals, the less nostalgic etc. Unfortunately, the one trick pony that is HBS-BT and its stability rocking LRMs, failed to keep me excited for the franchise after a singular pass through of the game.

Roguetech mod for BT. You'll pull your hair out a lot early on as you adapt to the changes but it's a lot of fun.

For MWOWC it's important to understand that events like that are not something companies do out of casual generosity. It's an investment with an expected return. The expected return on a third MWOWC like the other two wasn't going to get a big change. Clearly the idea here was maybe get some more views and advert for MW5. Not as fun to play but still a worthwhile investment for PGI.

#68 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:34 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 11 August 2018 - 07:34 AM, said:

Roguetech mod for BT. You'll pull your hair out a lot early on as you adapt to the changes but it's a lot of fun.

For MWOWC it's important to understand that events like that are not something companies do out of casual generosity. It's an investment with an expected return. The expected return on a third MWOWC like the other two wasn't going to get a big change. Clearly the idea here was maybe get some more views and advert for MW5. Not as fun to play but still a worthwhile investment for PGI.

That's an assumption (on their part, not yours) based on no real metrics.

The stock scene has never been particularly strong in MWO, so why utilize that mode to attract looks? It's counterintuitive given the information they have on hand.

If the stock scene had been stronger, a community driven effort with real teeth to it would have developed akin the lines of MRBC, NBT or any of the regularly promoted leagues and competitions. As it was, it was a niche, within a niche, within a niche group playing in very low numbers. Lobbies and the added "stock only" feature should have demonstrated an identifiable uptick in stock events if the mode was that popular, but clearly it didn't.

In the end, I'm fine with PGI making business decisions when it comes to the game, the WC, etc -- because that's their bottom line. But this wasn't a great decision, business, balance or game-fun/community wise and they should have seen that. They should absolutely be pursuing growth and profit, as a company....this wasn't a decision that improved either of those facets for them, clearly.

Edited by Lukoi Banacek, 11 August 2018 - 10:35 AM.

#69 TTV Hotokuken

• Pip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:17 AM

I'm gonna play some devil's advocate here. This is coming from an old player that has been playing MechWarrior since the 90's on MSN gaming zone and only recently started looking into the Comp play scene for MWO.

I agree that PGI should have given advanced notice. That's about all I agree with.Yes timing is everything and, yes if teams had more time to prepare they may have looked deeper but even on the first day of building a strategy I noticed some strategies and mechs that stood out for one reason or another. With the events that they have been putting on and the fact that this is IS only it made it very cost affordable to pick up new mechs for players that don't have the lineup.

From the matches I have watched in the semi finals there is a lack of diversified strategy. Basically lets bring fast mechs that have MLasers to cap and then load as many PPC / LLaser / AC10s that we can into our decks. A few time we saw some LRM boats mainly the ARC-2R and the HBK-4J but that was really only dependent on the map. Were there other mechs? Sure but out of the 5 matches ( 14 rounds ) only 20 of the chassis were used (27 different variants). A majority of the mech lineups were the same. It's as if the teams only cared about the weapons loadout. I guess those who win defined the meta in a short period of time.

There are some good players in comp play and some good teams. Stock mode opens the door for newer pilots with natural talent and for pilots that don't have a huge amount of C-Bills at their disposal because they haven't been here since beta. It also opens the door for new team captains that have their own fresh ideas and strategies. The same teams win over and over again due to people not stepping up to the challenge and trowing something at them that they haven't seen before. Playing custom builds vs stock builds makes no difference. Meta is meta, only the strategies, pilots, and teamwork will change the outcome of comp play.

At the end of the day PGI is the one who will determine the rules with community feedback. These rules need to be ironed out and standardized early so there aren't any last minute changes. They need to stick with a rule set from year to year. People will disagree and people will complain but it is what it is. I felt the rule set this year was very straight forward and fair. If the sole issue comes down to Stock vs Custom loadouts then have separate leagues with the same rules. The community already has an external modified league (MRBC) that is separate from MWOWC anyways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users