Blood Asp Vs Fafnir

9 replies to this topic

#1 Gluten

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:08 AM

I started playing 2 months ago and I'm really enjoying myself still. I'd like to throw PGI a bone with real cash money.

I don't own any assault mechs at the moment and want to start piloting one.

My current go to mechs for IS are my CTF-0XP with Heavy Gauss and MPL, and JMS-S with 2x Gauss. Clan is EBJ with LPL and ML vomit. If that helps you help me.

Honestly the stock Fafnir 5 looks really fun to me. The build for the Blood Asp with Gauss, 2xLL and 6ML looks like a roided up combo of my JMS and EBJ.

#2 D34DMetal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts
  • Locationin a Mad Cat duh...

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:10 AM

I would pick the Fafnir because it can carry dual heavy gauss AND ECM all in one package. And if you're not that fond of heavy gauss you have plenty of room for other ballistic-centric builds.

#3 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:47 AM

They are both fun and good. Just have to decide if you'd prefer the range of standard guass or the punch of heavy. Either way, can't go wrong.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

Fafnir will be more durable (the extra 10 tons + additional armor from quirks) and hasmore tonage to play with

Blood Asp being an omnimech means you have a lot more flexibility in hardpoints (you can fit the arms, torsos, legs or head from one varient on another to customise hardpoints), and (unless you sacrifice a lot of tonage for a 400 engine in the Fafnir) the Blood Asp is faster.

no Fafnir can mount Jumpjets but all Blood Asp can (thanks to the side torso omnipods from the BAS-A), both can carry ECM and comparable firepower.

if you value mobility take the Blood Asp (or something lighter than 90 tons), if you value durability take Fafnir

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

Max. engine on the Fafnir is 325.

#6 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

Dual Gauss ECM Fafnir is incredibly fun. Many people swear by the Cyclops hero, but the ECM and extra armor quirks put the Fafnir ahead in my opinion. It's also got decent hitboxes and good cockpit/weapon placement relation.

#7 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:37 PM

The Fafnir can facetank and kill 2x BlAsps without much trouble if you're running dual HGauss, and they're within about 500m of you. Of course, that's only considering the meta builds of the BlAsp, not the most powerful ones. One on one, the Fafnir will ALWAYS win if the pilots are of a similar adequate skill level, and they are running decent builds.

The only thing the BlAsp has going for it over the MCII is ECM, everything else is better in the MCII. Fafnir is basically the IS version of the MCII.

#8 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:30 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 05 June 2018 - 08:37 PM, said:

The Fafnir can facetank and kill 2x BlAsps without much trouble if you're running dual HGauss, and they're within about 500m of you. Of course, that's only considering the meta builds of the BlAsp, not the most powerful ones. One on one, the Fafnir will ALWAYS win if the pilots are of a similar adequate skill level, and they are running decent builds.

The only thing the BlAsp has going for it over the MCII is ECM, everything else is better in the MCII. Fafnir is basically the IS version of the MCII.

Glad I learned about the Blood ASP before I bought it.

#9 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:51 PM

Drtydshsoap talks about blasp changes and blasp vs faf in the video he put up in the 1k club thread. In the video he uses the faf to take 9 kills. He’s usually good for six in the blasp.

Edited by Cloves, 23 June 2018 - 06:52 PM.

#10 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:40 AM

If you're wanting to duplicate my Fafnir build (it ain't far off the stock, so it shouldn't cost much) here is the build code:

A[:820b1|^<2|i^|fbp;1|Q@|[<2q;1|Q@|[<2r41|=P|=P|c?s41|=P|=P|c?tD1|=P|=PuD1|=P|=PvB0|c?w:09090

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users