Direwolf Still Plays

18 replies to this topic

#1 Steel your Life

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

People keep saying to me the DW is no good anymore, but i find its still good. But i would like to know why people say the Kodiak is a better choice?
my Load out for Direwolf is:

4 x U-ac5
1 x ATM 12
1 x ATM 6
4 x small pulse
4 x ER-micro lasers

#2 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

Yep, you can't do that kind of build with a Kodiak, that's for certain.

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

Personally I perfer the 5lbx 5 with five small er for backup. It's a blast!

~Leone.

#4 D34DMetal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts
  • Locationin a Mad Cat duh...

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

I love my dire whales, BUT they are such easy targets to hit and they lack the mobility to effectively spread damage like some other mechs. Not trash mechs but they have definitely fallen from grace since their release.

#5 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:36 PM

Dire Wolf is not a easy mech to master so allot of players give it grief but the 100 ton gun turret. I know Dakka Wolf is still feared in the hands of a skill player

I prefer the Kodiak myself simply because I prefer the mobility but even the Kodiak has been overshadowed by the Mad Cat MKII and Marauder IIC more recently.

#6 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:55 PM

View PostSteel your Life, on 06 June 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

People keep saying to me the DW is no good anymore, but i find its still good. But i would like to know why people say the Kodiak is a better choice?
my Load out for Direwolf is:

4 x U-ac5
1 x ATM 12
1 x ATM 6
4 x small pulse
4 x ER-micro lasers

Good to see you have all ranges and weapons covered there...

#7 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

I like Quad LBX-2s or UAC-2s, 2 ERLLs,and 3 ERMLs.

#8 Rattler GUNZ

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMontreal,Canada

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:27 PM

Quad LBX-10
3 CERMLs

https://mwo.smurfy-n...dbd88d4a390ce70

#9 Jorgamundir

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:06 AM

https://mwo.smurfy-n...205f3034a60a758

chainfire alot of the MPLs and when mechs want to push they run into the moby **** of direwhales that fire a constant stream of PL with little to no heat. its great for hitting hard to open up them delicious cores and hitting them with a blast and you can sustain a good amount of longevity with this build

#10 Rattler GUNZ

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMontreal,Canada

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:49 AM

https://mwo.smurfy-n...6b2092eacbdbb7f

3 X CUAC 5
2 X CUAC 10
1 CERmed

#11 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:34 AM

Very recently I saw a Direwolf with 1700 damage in QuickPlay, he just stood far far away and spamming his little ballistics away, on Forest Colony Classic.
Direwolves are not really good at close combat due to their poor armor, giant hitboxes and terrible mobility. Thus it makes for an exceptional turret that melts you from far away.
It is hard to play due to insane alphas and DPS that exists in the game right now and a Direwolf just gets melted due to its imposing name and appearance. Plus it is not hard to kill a brick.

#12 Achle

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

I gave DW another chance now that I am better with Assaults. You can not brawl with this thing you will get wrecked badly...a lot of times sniping you will get a flea up your butt...

I do really well with dakka build but recently I have been getting in some decent games with alternative LPL build that has like 5 HMG to detour lights and as many large pulses as I can fit. I have one alpha set and one chain fire set. It is NOT fantastic and it allows you to remain close to the group. I average 500 damage per game...nothing like running Dakka but it does hang in there without being completely embarassing. Multiple times I have had lights come at me and sent them scampering away with all the HMG. Its pretty funny.

#13 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

2ERLL, 2LRM20, 3UAC2, Tag, been doing good today. Need them MC.

#14 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

Direpig is still viable but its just been obsoleted at everything by other mechs. The most dakka that thing can carry (without ghost heat) is 2xUAC10+3xUAC5, and 1 UAC5 is just not worth it when your survivability goes down compared to MCII-B or even BAS.

Still, it has 1 build that nothing else can bring, 8xAC2 spam. Its super niche, and arguably not worth bothering with in QP, but if you can get LOS on enemy and somehow keep em from getting within 800m, you can just sit there and tank all day since few weapons are gonna do much at 1km or so. So for that alone, it remains niche viable.

That said, it just isnt meta and with its hitboxes and 0 armor quirks, i doubt itll ever be meta anymore since there are other choices there with superior everything but raw hardpoint count for dakka and tonnage.

#15 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:03 PM

I still love the Dire Wolf.

#16 Nix Axer

• 1,079 posts
  • LocationMariupol

Posted 18 May 2020 - 06:37 AM

#17 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:44 AM

Two builds I've been enjoying lately:

2 GR
6 ER MLas
1 ER LLas
Streak 12
Light AP

Stay medium to long range or you will get rest. Don't let teammates convince you to share your armor at the front line. They are patently wrong and don't understand that your strength is ranged combat and you're more useful alive than dead. Lights who backstabbing don't expect streaks, so they get punished accordingly.

Another build I like is based on the canon Widowmaker LRM variant:

2 LPLas
1 ER SLas
1 UAC20
LRM40

Devastating from medium to long range.

Skill with an emphasis on range quirks, and the UAC20 is great out to around 420 meters, which is pretty awesome. GRs are good out to 740 meters as well.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 03 November 2020 - 11:45 AM.

#18 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:28 AM

Here's mine. It took some tweaking to be able to not shut down in Tourmaline. Max heat reduction nodes and max heat capacity in operations. Shoots 101 damage alpha with no missiles or lbx.Pretty much anything that isn't an assault that stares at you for 1 second will end up with an open CT and mediums can just outright die.

DWF-PRIME Gauss-Vomit 101 Alpha

https://kitlaan.gitl...s=Miscellaneous

Edited by Elizander, 10 December 2020 - 07:04 PM.

#19 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:54 AM

there are builds that no other mechs can do on the DWF. I still take mine out regularly. the hitboxes are huge, but you can somewhat mitigate it by taking the correct omnipods with armor quirks

the viable Direstar. people see this and they laugh, until you realise if you chainfire only, you can fire off all 6 without overheating, take a short break and do it all over again. i have suppressed entire lances with this mech. and you have a last stand button that takes whoever is killing you, together with you.
https://mech.nav-alp...3de52_DWF-PRIME

Gauss/Laser. Not min-maxed, and I don't care. 3 alphas before needing to take a break. It deletes Medium/Heavy mechs
https://mech.nav-alp...e5789_DWF-PRIME

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users