Changing Division System In Solaris-7

2 replies to this topic

#1 drugon

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:28 PM

So we tried to play Solaris-7 group mode with my friend another day and we couldn't unfortunately. We waited for on hour in sum trying several different divisions but nobody came to play with us. I think the problem is there are too many divisions. Because of that players in Solaris-7 divided into 14 different groups (7 for 1 on 1 fights and 7 for 2 on 2 fights). Also because of little player rotation player rating system doesn't work. So if there are only two players in queue (usual thing as I've noticed) and ratings of these players differ a lot - they will fight against each other anyway. What I suggest is to remove division system and replace it with mech rating system. What does that mean? For example let's take LCT-1M and set its rating as 1 since it's in 7th division. Then we'll take SDR-5K and set its rating as 1.7 since it's in 3rd division (just an example - it could be 1.5 or 1.8, this should be tested and balanced). After that we'll multiply mech rating by player rating (name it a final rating for example). Why should we do it? In this case a not very skilled player will have a better chance to win against a good player because of a mech advantage. At the same time a skilled player will receive more interesting challenge instead of just beating the s**t out of a less skilled rival. In group battles we can sum end ratings to balance battles so two average players could fight against a skilled and a bad player. This should remove splitting player base problem because in this case instead of 14 queues we'll have only 2. Probably this system will let to make 3 vs 3 battles possible. Each mode should have its own reward in this case so player base won't stack only in 1 on 1 battles. So what do you think about it?

#2 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:41 PM

2 thoughts:
  • A unskilled pilot might not make a powerfull chassis shine as much as a very skilled pilot could rise a **** chassis to unseen heights.
  • The chassis doesn't make the Mech alone. The build does. So the build values (Alpha, DPS etc.) should be reflected in the MechRating as well.

#3 drugon

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:32 AM

View PostHurbie, on 07 June 2018 - 11:41 PM, said:

2 thoughts:
  • A unskilled pilot might not make a powerfull chassis shine as much as a very skilled pilot could rise a **** chassis to unseen heights.
  • The chassis doesn't make the Mech alone. The build does. So the build values (Alpha, DPS etc.) should be reflected in the MechRating as well.

• In current system unskilled pilot and skilled pilot in different divisions just won't be able to play at all waiting for who knows how much time before someone will come to their division. And most probably in that case these newcomers won't have similar skills comparing to players that are waiting for battle. I think it's more important to reduce waiting time before a match will begin then to wait for someone on similar chassis who most probably will play much better or much worse than you.
  • Current system doesn't count mech build also as I know. It's hard to detect which chassis is better. There could be two ways for balancing it. First - the game can gather statistics of how good some exact player on some exact build. But it can be hacked easily. Player can just change build slightly and so the game will count it as a new build. Another way - just take in consideration summarized mech cost (so the player in default IS mech without double heat-sinks would have a less final rating then the player who improved same mech). Of course expensive mech doesn't mean that its build will be more effective than less expensive but how else can we calculate build effectiveness? Anyway player skill should be most significant parameter in balance formula IMHO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users