Crash, Crash, Crash

20 replies to this topic

#1 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

9th time I crashed today.

We just played HPG and one after another there was a mass crashing going on. 7 ppl discoed simultaneously.

Dunno what kind of malware you introduced into the servers.

#2 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

View PostLowSubmarino, on 09 June 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

We just played HPG and one after another there was a mass crashing going on. 7 ppl discoed simultaneously.

There is definitely something going on. I've been having a crash every 3-5 games the last week or so. Seems to help if I go into mechlab between each game, but no guarantee.

Always crashes after map/mode selection completes. I've read through the error reports (I stopped sending them after the first couple days, they are all the same). Bunch of errors listed about failing to load movies (I guess the animated cut screens). Very irritating. Surprisingly I haven't been ganked by a light while waiting to restart the app (app completely crashes each time), but my team contribution is diminished in most cases.

BTW, with all these crashes, I found that you can fast forward through all the pre-login animations on the app by clicking the loader as each one comes up. Saves about a minute getting back into game. Sad that I had the opportunity to find this out for myself, but there you go.....

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

Are you playing Full Screen or Full/Borderless Window?

I haven't crashed once.

#4 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:42 PM

I play full screen myself. Thing is I've always played full screen and never had these issues until recently. Pretty decent PC too (laptop actually, Alienware R3 i7-7700, GTX960)

Ever since the Grim mass disconnect bug last month I've been having major issues with the game.

#5 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

Play full windowed mode only, full screen only works if you never tab out. If you tab out, you'll crash.

#6 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:54 PM

View PostNightbird, on 09 June 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

Play full windowed mode only, full screen only works if you never tab out. If you tab out, you'll crash.

I will give it a try

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

I had three crashes yesterday.

All happened when the game was transitioning between the match lobby and the actual match.

#8 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:57 PM

View PostNightbird, on 09 June 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

I never have a problem, unless I tab back in at the very moment it goes from the load screen to the pre match lobby.

I kind of wonder what the cause is, because my computer kind of sucks.

#9 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:36 PM

As long as I don't run anything unneeded in the background my 2012 pc can hold the game at 30fps. Solaris however causes it to drop 25-29 fps; more if i'm running bandicam and recording. If anything my pc hardware was down graded when water got spilt into the case and took out my video card with it. The vid card sacrificed itself so only it and ony the rest of the pc components died. The local repair shop just gave me their stock gtx 660 so that's what I run now on an amd system originally costing $ 1,200.

I could have bought a newer pc but a new car and payments take higher priority. At least a video card upgrade on the old ASUS M5A97 R2.0 is under $300 but the money can be saved for a whole new-er and better system and going back to intel instead of amd.

I still crash out and disco a few times. Pretty normal for 1-2 mechs to do it in a qp match. Any time I try and go to settings to change them the game just freaking dies. No patcher,no repair tool, no man you do a full reinstall. I blame that on the 660 as that isn't even the ti or oc or any other better version. Just plain 660.

For me to upgrade the vid card and up the 8 gig system ram to 16 gig minimal would cost me about 5-600 which would be the price of a low low budget gaming pc now days so saving up the other 600 for a better pc is the way to go for me. Plus I can still use my current machine as a great emulator and retro box.

#10 DFM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:06 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 09 June 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

As long as I don't run anything unneeded in the background my 2012 pc can hold the game at 30fps. Solaris however causes it to drop 25-29 fps; more if i'm running bandicam and recording. If anything my pc hardware was down graded when water got spilt into the case and took out my video card with it. The vid card sacrificed itself so only it and ony the rest of the pc components died. The local repair shop just gave me their stock gtx 660 so that's what I run now on an amd system originally costing $ 1,200.

I could have bought a newer pc but a new car and payments take higher priority. At least a video card upgrade on the old ASUS M5A97 R2.0 is under $300 but the money can be saved for a whole new-er and better system and going back to intel instead of amd.

I still crash out and disco a few times. Pretty normal for 1-2 mechs to do it in a qp match. Any time I try and go to settings to change them the game just freaking dies. No patcher,no repair tool, no man you do a full reinstall. I blame that on the 660 as that isn't even the ti or oc or any other better version. Just plain 660.

For me to upgrade the vid card and up the 8 gig system ram to 16 gig minimal would cost me about 5-600 which would be the price of a low low budget gaming pc now days so saving up the other 600 for a better pc is the way to go for me. Plus I can still use my current machine as a great emulator and retro box.

Probably around $275-400, assuming a moderate GPU and DDR3(which should be safe as the 2012 era build stated). I get the point though, just wanted to state prices are going down again :)

#11 TheBossOfYou

• PipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:17 AM

Just had a match on Solaris City. 4 DCs per team, some people reconnected and crashed a second time(one person actually reconnected again to tell us he crashed twice).

#12 Mr Steinbrenner

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 73 posts
  • LocationFreo

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:31 AM

I had my first crash, tried to rejoin crashed again. I sent that crash report thing. is that enough?

#13 Antares102

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:07 AM

You do know that when you crash its the CLIENT that crashes which has nothing to do with the server.
Unless you talk about the server commanding the client to crash which is tin-foil-hat material since this function would need to be explicitly designed into the client-server functionality.
99% of times software crashed ebcause of memory access-violations, unhandeled exception and so on, which is simply an indication of bad software design or programming or both.
Crashes may also be caused by heat CPU issues which is soley your problem to solve by ensuring adequate cooling.

Edited by Antares102, 10 June 2018 - 02:10 AM.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:10 AM

mwo is notorious for cooking power supplies. you can be running at 1/4 of the psu spec and still have issues. psu manufacturers should use mwo as a quality control test.

View PostAntares102, on 10 June 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

You do know that when you crash its the CLIENT that crashes which has nothing to do with the server.
Unless you talk about the server commanding the client to crash which is tin-foil-hat material since this function would need to be explicitly designed into the client-server functionality.
99% of times software crashed ebcause of memory access-violations, unhandeled exception and so on, which is simply an indication of bad software design or programming or both.

server crashes are rare but they do seem to happen. ever get booted from a game in progress and find that you cant get back in because its not in the active games list? that was a server side crash. they are rare but they have happened a few times.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 June 2018 - 02:14 AM.

#15 Antares102

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:15 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 10 June 2018 - 02:10 AM, said:

server crashes are rare but they do seem to happen. ever get booted from a game in progress and find that you cant get back in because its not in the active games list? that was a server side crash.

But that's a partial node crash or something what you are talking about as long as the client still can basically communicate with the server. If you are thrown out of the game it can very well also be that many client receive an invalid command or enter an invalid state all simultaneously which leads to an unhandled exception which leads to client crashing from the game.
Since timing is very important in a multithreaded client only a bunch of clients crash and others still survive.
Typically client/server games have a much more robust server and a weak client and this is also the case for MWO.

Edited by Antares102, 10 June 2018 - 02:16 AM.

#16 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:43 AM

View PostAntares102, on 10 June 2018 - 02:15 AM, said:

But that's a partial node crash or something what you are talking about as long as the client still can basically communicate with the server. If you are thrown out of the game it can very well also be that many client receive an invalid command or enter an invalid state all simultaneously which leads to an unhandled exception which leads to client crashing from the game.
Since timing is very important in a multithreaded client only a bunch of clients crash and others still survive.
Typically client/server games have a much more robust server and a weak client and this is also the case for MWO.

im a programmer so i know all about exceptions. not handling them is a very bad habbit to get into. you go in and say 'i just want to test this, il write the exception handler code later' then you get called away from your desk and never write that code. next thing you know you have random crashes that are hard to reproduce.

then again you got a complex client server system, probably multiple servers for different things (matchmaking, database, etc) and not being able to talk to any of them for even a breif period is enough to cause undefined behavior. server is always going to protect itself over the client so if something comes out of it that it didnt expect (and the programmer is going to prioritize making the server side code as solid as possible). its going to send a kill packet to dc you so the server can keep running. trying to get back in will reset everything on the client side and you are usually allowed to reconnect.

sometimes the server might think you are still connected for some reason and refuse your re-connection. in this case it shows you a game in progress but attempts to rejoin will fail. i believe this is what happens when you have a zero ping. sometimes after a few attempts it might let you back on, and thats usually because the server realized its been several seconds since your last packet and it caused a timeout event that resulted in the connection finally being closed, allowing you to reconnect.

when the server is just gone, that seems to indicate that the current game server went down. there is no way to reconnect and you usually do not get penalized for those.

lots of things can go wrong, somethings an exception is to blame, sometimes its just an intermittent networking issue. it could be the cat chewing through your mouse cable mid game causing access to the usb device to fail, throwing an exception (this has happened to me before).

Edited by LordNothing, 10 June 2018 - 02:45 AM.

#17 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

Played about 2,5 hours today and hat another 7 crashes.

Ive never had this many crashes. When they took grim out of rotation I didnt have a single crash for about a week.

Now its worse than ever. I just crash every 5 - 10 matches.

#18 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

View PostLowSubmarino, on 10 June 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

Played about 2,5 hours today and hat another 7 crashes.

Ive never had this many crashes. When they took grim out of rotation I didnt have a single crash for about a week.

Now its worse than ever. I just crash every 5 - 10 matches.

It has been increasing as of lately. Four times on me so far. decided to reboot the modem and reboot the pc but that shouldn't matter at all since i'm hard wired to it with a cat 6 cable and the modem was put it by the cable. Recent storm saw the box get replaced as a just-in-case. Still blaming my archic video card though. That 660 can run mgsv:ttp on default settings no problem but mwo just ugh. Also ran skyrim and fall out new vegas so the card can do the games I want except mwo. Gotta rack up the automated penalty system because pgi gona pgi.

#19 Galaxie 500

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:52 PM

I've just returned to playing (mostly QP queue) after drifting away a year ago.

In just the week since I've been back, the MWO client is crashing on me frequently in both the Academy mode and in various Training Ground scenarios. Both when training grounds are accessed from the Home menu and when I go directly to them out of the Mech Lab (very cool and useful new ability to do that before deciding to save a mech configuration, unless that was there before and I missed it).

I will just be cruising around firing my weapons, blah blah, and I'll get a crash with no obvious reason why. I am not seeing my graphics card and driver crash -- there's been no lockup and not even a momentary screen blank like you would get when a driver panics and reloads. And my temperature graphs show I'm not overstressing my GPU or CPU. NVidia 970SC here with no extra overclocking, just the factory spec and good ventilation; 8-core Intel cpu, endless RAM, stable system other than this problem. Great quality wired broadband too with low latency.

Since I'm not pushing my system and thereby asking to crash, so far I can't think of much that I can do to make this less likely to happen, unless maybe if I just start turning down graphics options like MSAA and other stuff. But if the graphics driver doesn't seem to be crashing then that shouldn't be necessary.

I hope they're getting the data they need to diagnose this and make the MWO client more stable again. It's a bummer to be left without much of any clear reason why the problem is occurring.

Edited to add: the patches applied smoothly, both today's patch and the bigger set of them that were applied when I came back after a year. I naturally also ran the MWO Troubleshooter exe just in case it found anything, but it didn't seem to show any problems or it fixed whatever it could.

Edited by Galaxie 500, 13 November 2018 - 10:53 PM.

#20 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:12 PM

I never crash

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users