#1 Timberjac

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPamplona, Navarra, Spain

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:26 AM

Hello.

I have an idea for a new map in the MWO, which I think might be interesting and visually appealing.

They would be two warships (for example two battleships or heavy cruisers), shooting each other, while one of the teams descends from their descent ships on the surface of one of the ships and their mech tries to destroy emplacements of weapons of the own Ship (while shooting the other); While the opposing team is deployed from descending vessels that are anchored or from within the vessel itself (something like the deployment of the Solaris Championship).

It would be great if the map outside had the three dimensions of the ship and the mech could move around its surface, looking for coverage and alternative paths. Otherwise, elements of the HPG map could easily be used.

And if things are to complicate, they could mark the areas where the ship attacked will receive impacts from the weapons of the other ship, which will hinder both teams, but I think this could be left out.

I do not know what will seem, but I think the map could be a great addition, with a surprising visual effect, with much of the possible elements already created in the HPG map itself.

Greetings Posted Image

P.D.: It would be a good addition to the game, if there were any tools for users to generate maps, providing the tool of the elements created for the game and if they were of the taste of the development team, could balance and add to Game, without needing to develop entirely, which would allow the game to continue to grow in content and variety, without diverting excessive resources to that area, focusing more on others.

#2 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:03 AM

no Ik ...no collisionsmodels and no Maps with different Gravitys or Zero G ..all to difficult

#3 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:59 PM

Unfortunately MWO's customized frankengine runs very poorly when it comes to maps. So user created maps wouldn't be optimized enough to run well. I mean Solaris City runs bad as it is. Player made maps has been requested since beta days. Hopefully MW5 will not have this hang up.

It's a good idea. Just not likely to happen without an engine change.

Edited by MechaBattler, 11 June 2018 - 02:59 PM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:45 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 11 June 2018 - 02:03 AM, said:

no Ik ...no collisionsmodels and no Maps with different Gravitys or Zero G ..all to difficult

While this sounds brutal, it is unfortunately true.

All maps currently run 3.6 times gravity to avoid the fact that the laws of momentum would have you float in the air for many seconds after your jump jets run out, which would be longer with the heavier you are.

Because this feels "weird", MWO runs at 3.6 times gravity to bring you back down quickly.

Due to the resistance in the change of movement, after going upward, the mech will suspend in the air as the upward momentum is gradually lost against the pull of gravity... For gravity at 1x to pull a 20 ton mech down after the thrust needed to launch the mech in the air would take quite a few seconds, during which the mech would slow down in its upward movement until at one point it'd be almost stationary in the air, and then gradually "accelerate" as it falls. A jump would last almost 10 seconds with the current power of thrusters on a 25 tons mech from launch to running out of gas to the loss of momentum, the fall and finally the eventual landing. (Which would do some serious damage to the ground btw...another thing this game can't do).

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:49 AM

View PostTimberjac, on 11 June 2018 - 12:26 AM, said:

I love the map idea.

Sadly if you want to experience that, Star Citizen is the route to go.

This game and PGI's design decisions make it impossible to achieve as described.

The moving parts could work. But beyond this, anything related to gravity cannot work in MWO. Have you noticed gravity is exactly the same on all maps, even when the fluff says otherwise?

#6 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:44 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 June 2018 - 03:45 AM, said:

While this sounds brutal, it is unfortunately true.

All maps currently run 3.6 times gravity to avoid the fact that the laws of momentum would have you float in the air for many seconds after your jump jets run out, which would be longer with the heavier you are.

Because this feels "weird", MWO runs at 3.6 times gravity to bring you back down quickly.

Good eyes....never thought about it
Do you have some old videos of the closed beta jumps? I think the "sailing" part without power was much longer.... not the pull we have i

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 25 June 2018 - 04:44 AM, said:

Do you have some old videos of the closed beta jumps? I think the "sailing" part without power was much longer.... not the pull we have i

I know for certain the gravity thing was already in effect in mid-2013, I'm uncertain as to before it.
But there's videos from prior to October 2012. I really wish a lot more of them survived but originally there was an NDA and I was a bit terrified. Some of my super long compilation videos are from that period, however.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:25 AM

In the upper right, the fall speed indicator. Do you remember it, Karl? When they added serious fall damage?

to help control this?

Anyway... The fall damage indicator would reach dangerous speeds in less than a second. Now to reach 30+ meters per second at gravity's rate, it should take 2.47 s to go from completely stationary to reaching 30 meters per second. That's not counting the time needed to reach that "stationary" or "almost still" moment where all the upward moment has finally been countered by the pull of gravity.

I'm certain you know that that it took less than 1 second to hit that speed and the only way to avoid it is to either spam the jumpjet or time it just right to thrust quite a bit and even then sometimes you'd hit the speed by stepping off the edge of a ramp from a height of from the knee down to the bottom of the foot of a Dire Wolf.

I know its not a factor in this gameplay, but you can see it on the right side of the [ ] effect around the HUD just below the compass.

Anyway what's important is that you can check whatever the game's gravity is at, by measuring how long it takes to reach a certain falling speed from an abrupt fall. (Or if you're recording, from the instant you start going down as a tangible reference point.)

Edited by Koniving, 25 June 2018 - 11:31 AM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

For an idea of old gravity, look at how slow mechs used to fall over and compare to when you kill someone now...

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:38 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 25 June 2018 - 04:44 AM, said:

Wait! Thought of the perfect one.

Shooting a Jenner out of the sky.
You'll know when you see it; it ends up getting replayed multiple times in different colors and speeds (along with footage where I headshot someone using a hacked super jump in the game Combat Arms).

And a year and a little over a month later, shooting a Victor out of the sky. Sadly due to the shutdown and PPC splash its really hard to see the fall.

Meh, actually you can't see either one of them fall. But at the end of the highest point on frozen city video, I die in mid air and you can see that landing.

#11 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:09 PM

OP cool way to think outside the box

#12 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:42 AM

Wow...a one post Legendary Founder. Had to login for this rare sighting.

#13 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

I want a map where the map's gimmick is that there's alot of mech-sized objects on the map that can be used as cover but can also be damaged and destroyed. But the REAL gimmick is that these objects are the map's objectives. The more of them that make survive the match, the greater the bonus rewards (both in CBills and XP) at the end for winner and loser alike. But the objects are strategically placed such that using them for cover would be REALLY appealing to all sides.

Now, the objects could be anything, but when I originally came up with this idea, I was thinking that the map was a mech factory and the valuable, destructible objects are actually new mechs fresh off the assembly line. Which means clever use of shutting down or even stealth armor could allow you to "hide in a crowd" as it were and stage otherwise impossible ambushes.

#14 NimoStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:57 PM

[color=#959595]Unfortunately MWO's customized frankengine runs very poorly when it comes to maps. So user created maps wouldn't be optimized enough to run well. I mean Solaris City runs bad as it is. Player made maps has been requested since beta days. Hopefully MW5 will not have this hang up.[/color]

AFAIK the performance problems with Solaris City have more to do with high polycount and animations than with "Objects".

And dumbly enpugh MWO doesn't do destroyable objects in maps, a feature Mech Commander had for p´ractically ALL map objects in 1998.

#15 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

View PostNimoStar, on 08 July 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

AFAIK the performance problems with Solaris City have more to do with high polycount and animations than with "Objects".

And dumbly enpugh MWO doesn't do destroyable objects in maps, a feature Mech Commander had for p´ractically ALL map objects in 1998.

Destroyable objects require work.

And MWO can do destroyable objects because they already exist in the game. Just play Incursion Mode and shoot some walls.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users