7 replies to this topic

#1 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:07 AM

In my opinion mixed weight class divisions are just not working. Maybe if the maps were twice as large they would work, but since they are so tiny I think you mostly have to put the mechs in their own weight class divisions. The tiny map size forces a brawl and that is an armor and weapons contest, so lighter mechs which exchange armor and weapons for speed end up being stripped of their speed.

I suppose if a mech were a real loser and unable to compete with mechs it's own weight you could drop it in with lighter class mechs, but if it is just going to face a bit of honest competition vs mechs of it's own class, then that is the Solaris 7 challenge.

#2 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:42 AM

eh.. you got it wrong.
*assuming 2 halfway decent pilots*
on the open maps, a pure brawler has no joy if the er-med-light doesn't want to engage. instead the brawler has to waste 10min of his life and hope the light is finished by then (which often they are not, cause lack of ... things).
on closed maps the same, does take even longer in most cases.

but I agree: fighting very different weightclasses often ends in at least 1 of 2 fighters having no fun. a stupid idea to implement it in the first place, and 5minutes of testplay would have brought this up. but no... can't have that. and yes, I'm a bit salty that they invest recources into S7, only to eff it up royally by not testing it.

#3 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:38 PM

The 7 divisions work well as they are. No matter how its was done some mechs would be good and some would be bad. I have seen 1800ssr + matches with wolfhounds and commandos beating king crabs and pirahna's beating atlai and kodiaks. It is as balanced as possible based on potential firepower output. You cannot donitnby tonnage. What they have done for division seperation i thought was stupid before launch. After playing about 5000 1v1 matches i realise they actually split mechs pretty decently.

#4 CrossMalaki

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 1
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

Honestly, I just hate that there's no one playing Solaris 7 at all any more, and that's my problem with the divisions. Splitting it into 7 just means that now people have to decide which of seven different queues to get into, and then they have to pray that at least one other person picked that same queue. I understand that they wanted to make the 'Mech match ups relatively fair, but that doesn't change the fact that having seven queues is just too many. People aren't going to sign up much for something if there's a good chance they won't be able to play it, especially when there are other options that are almost guaranteed to get them into a game.

#5 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:38 AM

Part of the problem is people LOOK for a match instead of just queueing for a match so people think no ones is there when everyones waiting for someone else to queue LULZ !

#6 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:14 AM

View PostCadoazreal, on 11 June 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

The 7 divisions work well as they are. No matter how its was done some mechs would be good and some would be bad. I have seen 1800ssr + matches with wolfhounds and commandos beating king crabs and pirahna's beating atlai and kodiaks. It is as balanced as possible based on potential firepower output. You cannot donitnby tonnage. What they have done for division seperation i thought was stupid before launch. After playing about 5000 1v1 matches i realise they actually split mechs pretty decently.

Straight tonnage winds up needing so many exceptions to have more than a few 'Mechs engaged it starts to look a lot like the current setup.

Hell, Division 1 would be better if contained more speedy brawlers. A Dire Wolf or Annihilator has little to fear from anything else in its weight class in a 1v1 shootout. They do have to fear things that can get behind them.

#7 d00mchild

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

I agree. The Divisions do not work as they are. It feels more like rock paper scissor like it is now. Id like to see Divisions by weight class with minor deviations and one open division with every mech in it. I will come back to solaris when they get that right. its too frustrating for my. the best matches i had, were in same mechs with very similar builds. only in that case it is about, who the better pilot is. everything else seems like a wheel of luck to me. not interested in that.

#8 Rick T Dangerous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 354 posts
  • LocationExactly above Earth's center

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

The sad thing is that with the "adjustments" that came with the May patch PGI gave the impression that they either don't care any more about Solaris... or they really don't understand their own game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users