- - - - -

Reached Tier 4, Now What?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Umbriel the Dark

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

So after 2 months of playing just reached Tier 4, with a few good builds I'm getting good damage / support, and with other builds, well it's just fun. My best fit seems to be heavies followed by mediums, though now I'm starting to have decent fights with a Kraken build of my own.

What's the next step to find a decent group where I can improve my skills? I admit I don't play for hours daily, but about 3 or 4 times a week for 2 hours straight is the norm. Maybe I'm just writting to the wrong thread but hey, I'm a newbie anyway.

#2 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:26 PM

Well unfortunately the way MM works is you are placed within two ranks of your own tier so the only things that really changed is you have greater chance of more skilled opponents and (In theory) a faster que time for quickplay.

#3 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

check the unit recruiting threads is joining a unit for training interests you.

#4 Khan BuRNeR

• Pip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

@Umbriel the Dark
Don´t worry, to reach higher tiers is just a matter of time. You will find a lot of players in tier 1 which playing much worst then some tier 5 players.
If you dropping in a group then tiers are completly ignored. You can face tier 1 player like the world champions from EMP or some complete new or bad players. This is totally random.
To improve yourself you should looking on twitch and youtube for good players and watch them. Twitch is helpful because you can ask them live.
Good streamers are for example: The_B33F, justcallmeAsh, Juju Shinobi, prtN_spz, bear_cl4w, Writhenn or TwinkyOverlord.
These are also very good players btw.

#5 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:30 PM

Also, Baradul (On YouTube as "MoltenMetal") is a dude I love to watch because he is not only good, but also entertaining. He also explains the reasoning behind his builds as well as his strategies.

I personally feel I learned a lot about the game watching him. Although I keep having to change his builds when I try them, because they do not work for me most of the time. ;)

#6 Umbriel the Dark

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:30 PM

Thanks a lot for the help and explanations, I've watched a few Youtube videos of The_B33F and MoltenMetal, mostly the last one as they are really entertaining as @Darakor said, and in fact my CPLT-K2 build with Heavy Gauss comes from there.
I'll try joining a unit and improve my team play, in Quickplay it's just too random.
And yeah, I haven't noticed much difference in Quickplay so far, it might even be easier even. Perhaps pilots coordinate a tad more and that helps.

#7 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:49 PM

For me, moving from T5 to T4 felt like a big improvement. I suddenly had a lot more coordination going on (well, compared to T5, anyway), and there were fewer people where I wondered what they are doing. Things got much easier.

That changed, btw, when I hit T3. :) Suddenly I am playing more regularly with T1 people and boy does that bring down your own score. ;) If they are on the enemy team, you die quicker, if they are on your team, the enemy dies quicker. In both cases, less chance to shine for me. ;) On the plus side, Lurmspam is a thing of the past now.

I wonder if I will ever hit T2. And what change I will notice when I do. :)

#8 Umbriel the Dark

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:58 AM

BTW, I meant dual Heavy PPC on my CPLT-K2, HGauss is far from that build.

It does feel faster to find a match in Quickplay, having more to choose from. About lurmspammers I do see them often in Invasion play mostly when the other side (never is my side, I wonder why) has a lot of pilots from the same unit, and they do look like high tiers. I guess it's different in Quickplay.

#9 Fade Deklin

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:30 AM

I Just get T4 in my first 6 hours playtime, how can I go up faster?

#10 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:56 AM

Fade, it is game score dependant, based on your performance. If you win, you go up. If you lose and do badly, you will go down. If you do well, you will go up even while losing.

So if you want to go up faster... Get better... ;)

#11 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,829 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:55 AM

View PostFade Deklin, on 12 June 2018 - 02:30 AM, said:

I Just get T4 in my first 6 hours playtime, how can I go up faster?

It's not unusual for newer players to go up in Tier fairly quickly, as least into T4. As you play more matches, your progress (or lack of) should stabilize. In my case, when I started playing, I moved up T5 quickly, then my noobness began to take hold and I went back to the basement of T5 and stayed there for months Posted Image .

I'm just into T4 now, after over a year of play. In other words, I lack 'git gud' in a big way! Posted Image

Still enjoying the game though Posted Image .

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#12 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 11 June 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

For me, moving from T5 to T4 felt like a big improvement.

The improvement is 100 percent illusory. T5 and 4 are the same bucket to begin with.
It can get a little different when you hit 3, because you are now more likely to face T2 and T1.

Of course, if you play on "off" hours it is all moot. Sometimes when I drop solo later at night I often see (new) pilot names that I recognize from the new pilot forum, despite being an old salty MW vet myself.

View PostCFC Conky, on 12 June 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

It's not unusual for newer players to go up in Tier fairly quickly,

This is because it is based on averages. A couple of strong games early on can really catapult you.
On balance, if you are new and getting completely smashed into the ground for long enough, then it can take you a while to crawl out of the T5 pit.

Similarly, when vet pilots create "smurf accounts" you have to "throw" your first few matches otherwise you will get catapulted into the higher tiers all too quickly (thus partially defeating the purpose of a smurf)

Edited by Boogie138, 12 June 2018 - 03:15 PM.

#13 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:09 PM

Tier is not really a significant thing. It's just to meant to have some degree of MM.

#14 Throe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 09 November 2018 - 12:20 PM.

#15 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:30 AM

View PostThroe, on 14 June 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

Tarogato has some good suggestions which have surprisingly been out for well over a year now regarding matchmaker balance. Unfortunately, PGI seems either unwilling or unable to take action based on his suggestions(unless I'm just behind the curve on information in saying this, which is distinctly possible).

PSR is broken, Tier means very little, and yes, PGI is still using it as a valid metric with which to match opponents. The matchmaker currently appears to consider all players of a given tier as being equally skilled, and then favors higher tonnage as a secondary consideration(which, ironically, is contra-indicated for forming a better team, according to Tarogato's data from last year).

paul explained that PSR is basically made to get vet players playing with vet players. the community is to small for a real MM system..

I'm actually torn on this. If the MM was better and better players were always paired with better players, then leveling a mech, or playing something for fun could blow the whole team. The way it is now, you can play subpar mechs, or just out to have fun and actually turn the tide and win anyway.

to me QP should just fix the MM a little during high pop times, By that i mean adding some formula that takes leader board rankings, Battlevalue and Tier..

But really if you want to play with good players, join a unit, unless of course the game suddenly has 50k players online, one can hope!

OP: all you need to worry about is having fun, playing mechs you like, and trying mechs you think you might like.. getting good will come.. And if you are inclined join a like minded unit

#16 Throe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:54 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 09 November 2018 - 12:19 PM.

#17 Throe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 09 November 2018 - 12:18 PM.

#18 Noguchi-san

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

Hello,

i play this Game since the 15.April 2018 and i am close to Tier 1, so what is the Problem? Posted Image

#19 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

View PostNoguchi-san, on 15 June 2018 - 09:22 AM, said:

so what is the Problem? Posted Image

Oh boy, don't get us started. Posted Image

#20 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts