Roughneck Powerhouse With Gauss?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Pippykins

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:13 AM

I have a setup with 2 lmg, 2 er med, 3 mrm 10, and a gauss rifle. there's a fairly usable amount of ammo and I'm used to using multiple weapon groups at once (usually 4), but I'm having trouble with this one. Is this build awful, or is it just me being terrible with gauss rifles?

I normally don't use gauss much and would like to figure it out, but I'm not sure if this is the way to do it.

edit: I'm also using a light 280

Edited by Pippykins, 13 June 2018 - 03:27 AM.

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

From a "try-hard, meta, competitive", or whatever point of view that is a pretty lousy build.

First of all, in practice you have one of every weapon type (kitchen sink build), which in general is a very bad idea.
They all behave and act differently, which makes the build relatively complex to use. Worse yet, you have a build that has no strong suit or defined purpose.

That said, the META builds for the powerhouse revolve around mimicking traditional Atlas brawling builds. This means an AC20 (the regular one) combined with SRMs (regular SRMs, not Streaks). Typically, 3x SRM6, OR 2x SRM6 and 1x SRM4 w/ Artemis.

The reason this weapon combo is idea is that all your firepower will behave similarly. The optimal range of the AC20 matches that of the SRMs, and they have near identical cooldown times. In practice, this means you could effectively play with just one trigger group that just alpha strikes everytime (though you probably should at least break up your triggers into AC and missiles).

Good luck!

Edited by Boogie138, 12 June 2018 - 03:26 PM.

#3 Pippykins

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:18 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 12 June 2018 - 03:26 PM, said:

First of all, in practice you have one of every weapon type (kitchen sink build), which in general is a very bad idea.
They all behave and act differently, which makes the build relatively complex to use. Worse yet, you have a build that has no strong suit or defined purpose.

Now That I've figured it out a bit I should try and justify the build a bit. The idea here is to work at mid range and lower while being built around the gauss rifle, also noting that the powerhouse has a little bit of everything when it comes to hardpoints. gauss and mrms have similar cooldowns, target lead, and face time at 400 to 550 meters in the same way that AC20s and srm 6s have at closer ranges. The lasers can be used at similar ranges but shine more once you get a little closer, and around 300 meters and lower lmgs are great to throw on anything. the weigh next to nothing, cause no heat, and on my MMO mouse set up I can comfortably use 4 weapon groups off my mouse at the same time without sacrificing anything. so it's essentially mid-range harassment that can brawl reasonably well.

the point of the mid to close range is that the lack of mobility and jump jets means you don't always get to pick your distance. hpg manafold, frozen city, and the canyon are perfect examples of this. those can stay at midrange, turn into a brawl, or dance between them, but you don't get to dictate that. it's better to have something that can mid range and brawl than to have something that strictly does one or the other.

your right about the complexity though. the gauss rifle charge up makes the lasers and mrms harder to snap fire, while the lmgs give me the terrible habit of not torso twisting when being focused. it's been a lot to learn my way around. the upside is the no heat from lmgs and guass make heat management during brawls idiot proof, so it's all learning how to juggle the guass in with the rest of the weapons. I also find now that i've been surviving longer ammo is a bit of an issue, so I may have to drop lasers to smalls and/or shave a half ton of armor for more ammo, or just picking up a lot of the firepower tree.

Edited by Pippykins, 13 June 2018 - 03:21 AM.

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:27 AM

Try it with an AC10 if you are going for mid-range. Also no charge up and gives you a little more tonnage. UAC10 would be an option as well.

#5 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

The shoulder gun on my PH is a crit magnet so I wouldn't suggest a gauss personally.

#6 Pippykins

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 13 June 2018 - 04:27 AM, said:

Try it with an AC10 if you are going for mid-range. Also no charge up and gives you a little more tonnage. UAC10 would be an option as well.

I'm seeing a lot of suggestions for acs over ultra acs, any reason for that?

View PostSteel Raven, on 13 June 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

The shoulder gun on my PH is a crit magnet so I wouldn't suggest a gauss personally.

that's something i've been noticing. the gauss does well if i can keep it, but a lot of time I take a lot of damage too quickly, so my match damages are all over the place.

#7 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:40 PM

The only thing ive been able to make work on that mech is AC20+SRMs or UAC20+MRMs. both of those combos sync well with each other and are useful over similar ranges+similar projectile velocities. If you want more alfa at a slightly longer range, use the UAC+MRM, if you maximum brawling capability on something reliable (wont cook and wont jam), use AC20+SRMs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users