Visual Heat Warning

5 replies to this topic

#1 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:15 PM

By its very nature, Betty is limited in the amount of information it can deliver from moment to moment. It's not uncommon for the computer voice to "warn" the pilot several seconds too late of incoming missiles or shutdown warning. While the HUD does display something when missiles are inbound, the heat warning gets to us only when she gets around to it and by that time it's often too late and you are shutdown or in the process of.

I would suggest adding a flashing icon ( say a flame like in HBS battletech for instance ) in a central position. Perhaps just over the map display or somewhere else that would attrack the eye without clogging the HUD.

While we're on the subject: Could she also be more succinct when listing catastrophic damage ? When loosing an arm for instance, it would be nice if she could hold herself to right/left arm destroyed instead of X weapon destroyed, X ammo destroyed, Heat sink destroyed,etc.. and that brings us back to my first point: She can't give warnings on time because she's too busy talking about other stuff.

Thanks

#2 TheoLu

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 73 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNapier, South Africa

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:43 AM

Personally I've also encountered the issue you're describing, but have only *really* suffered it when I'm using a new build (particularly on a new mech) which I'm not used to the heat thresholds for just yet.

Growing used to what your mech's doing heat-wise and is capable of, and using the already-present heat bar –which is, in my opinion, only a little less than optimal in its positioning– comes with experience in that mech and build, so I don't know that what you're asking for in terms of UI would really be necessary. It may help those more prone to heat-of-the-moment (haha) stress, but for those able to keep a calm head it's of limited practical use if any.

What may be closer in usefulness to that though is something akin to how the MASC works, but based on the circular reticule itself; the reticule could fill in a darker shade from the bottom to top to represent the mech's heat. That wouldn't introduce any new element and shouldn't be particularly distracting either.

Just subtle enough it doesn't get in the way and more tactically-relevant for those who take the time to pay attention to it than completely looking away from their direction of aim to check their heat.

#3 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:06 PM

Eh, they could put a Heat Meter on the opposite side of the Reticule from the MASC Meter? And why isn't there an easily-noticed sound alert, like back in the MechWarrior 2&3 PC Games? What do you think of those thoughts? :huh:

~D. V. "I knew some indication was missing... Thanks for the reminder." Devnull

#4 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:30 PM

I like those ideas better than mine.Posted Image

#5 KhanBhacKeD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 280 posts
  • LocationDans les branches du skill tree

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:31 PM

When you are at 80%, or plus heat. Betty even if she can't call you, start to play a really annoying alarm sound. So you are always warned about heat critical.(just in case some of you didn't notice)

But if pgi want to add something and if it's don't overcharge a quite charged hud. Why not!

#6 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:18 PM

Yes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users