Please Open Solo Queue To Small Groups

864 replies to this topic

#1 a le Roi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:33 AM

Currently, if you're in a group of 2-4 people, like you would be if you're just playing quick play with a couple of friends, the wait times can be insanely long.

10-15 minutes for a match that lasts a few minutes is not viable in the long run, as it discourages playing with friends vs. playing solo.

Meanwhile, that group of 2-4 in a random quick play match would not be terribly unbalancing. A solo player with a mic and charisma can cause far more lopsided results in quick play than a small band of merry friends that don't communicate with the rest of the team.

So, in short, enabling those 2-4 person groups to play in the same queue as solo players would
1) Shorten wait times for all
2) Make quick play matches no less balanced
3) Increase the game's attractiveness, which would eventually help with the player base

Please consider making that change, for your sake and for the sake of all of us non-unit players.

#2 Nema Nabojiv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:35 AM

No. Go away, your kind is not welcomed in solo Q.

#3 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:37 AM

I wouldn't go higher than 2 man groups. A coordinated lance can swing a pug game without much effort.

#4 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:38 AM

A 2 man can swing a pug game without much effort

#5 DarthLumiya

Rookie

• The God
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:41 AM

No. This will never happen. Solo is meant to be just that SOLO.

#6 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:41 AM

View Posta le Roi, on 14 June 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

Currently, if you're in a group of 2-4 people, like you would be if you're just playing quick play with a couple of friends, the wait times can be insanely long.

10-15 minutes for a match that lasts a few minutes is not viable in the long run, as it discourages playing with friends vs. playing solo.

Meanwhile, that group of 2-4 in a random quick play match would not be terribly unbalancing. A solo player with a mic and charisma can cause far more lopsided results in quick play than a small band of merry friends that don't communicate with the rest of the team.

So, in short, enabling those 2-4 person groups to play in the same queue as solo players would
1) Shorten wait times for all
2) Make quick play matches no less balanced
3) Increase the game's attractiveness, which would eventually help with the player base

Please consider making that change, for your sake and for the sake of all of us non-unit players.

Totally known and asked for many times and spoken out against just as many times. It might be a few more against it depending on the stack of players on the forum and whether you want small groups of 2, 3, or 4 in solo. It's rather a moot issue for me at this point, as anyone I could interest in playing with me, got seal clubbed in GQ several times over and decided against playing further.

Edited by Haipyng, 14 June 2018 - 06:43 AM.

#7 Wiley Coyote

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:44 AM

Smells like an alt account to me, created just to post this.

#8 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:49 AM

Nothing else comes to mind sorry.

#9 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:49 AM

Group queue, Invasion, Scouting, Even Solaris.

You have options. There is but Quickplay and Solaris for solo play.

Don't be greedy.

~Leone.

#10 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:54 AM

Solo. Google it and ask yourself: Did I just ask a remarkably stupid question?

Spoiler: Yes, yes you did.

#11 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:57 AM

Larger groups in group queue -need- your small 2-3 man groups to provide assault mechs, since we are so tonnage limited. If I'm dropping in an 8 man group, we're going to be mostly mediums / heavies, no real assault mechs, because of the tonnage penalties larger groups face. So, if you want to play group queue with your 1-2 buddies, make SURE you take some seriously heavy mechs, otherwise you are gimping your team.

I love it when I'm dropping in an 8 man, and our teammates are 4 new players in light mechs. We might as well just suicide and save ourselves the bother of playing it. At least 4 new players in assault mechs would stop a few enemy bullets before they die.

#12 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:01 AM

View PostDarthVitiate21, on 14 June 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

No. This will never happen. Solo is meant to be just that SOLO.

Odd question, why do we have a solo mode in a game designed to be a team game? Only reason logically is people want to kill other people but NOT want to teamwork?
I've never understood the big drive to play solo, online..in a multiplayer game.

If you want to super solo, surely you'd play singleplayer games? Isn't the main draw the other people?

#13 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:12 AM

View PostJon Gotham, on 14 June 2018 - 07:01 AM, said:

Odd question, why do we have a solo mode in a game designed to be a team game?

Odd question indeed. Understanding the game on a basic level ought to answer it, but I'll help you out:

Because a pre-made group has a significant advantage over a randomly assembled team and people don't like being at a disatvantage whenever they can't assemble a full group of twelve people.

#14 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:16 AM

Odd question, why do we have a solo mode in a game designed to be a team game? Only reason logically is people want to kill other people but NOT want to teamwork?
I've never understood the big drive to play solo, online..in a multiplayer game.

If you want to super solo, surely you'd play singleplayer games? Isn't the main draw the other people?

If this where true, why is there a 10-15 minute wait in the group que while the solo que is instant? And please, OP, the idea that a four man team would not affect balance in the solo que is so laughable it makes me believe you are trolling.

Edited by Cloves, 14 June 2018 - 07:17 AM.

#15 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:29 AM

The fallacy on display here is the assumption that solo queue doesn't involve teamwork. How very wrong. Solos form a team each time they drop into a match. And the team that works together best most often wins. The community's aversion to letting premade groups into solo isn't an aversion to teamwork or playing with others. Rather, it's about not allowing players who coordinate their builds and strategies to drop into an environment in which no one else has. You see how that might be unfair? Or do you just want what you want and screw everyone else?

Also, consider the new player. I mean, we have people here who think a few minutes reading and clicking on the skill tree is too much for anyone to handle and quit. Imagine if we told new players they have to find a unit immediately before they can enjoy the game.

Finally, most of this community plays solo queue more often than any other game mode. More people like solo queue than group queue or faction. It's the biggest, best part of this game. You guys are always on about PGI trying to fix things that aren't broken. Look in the mirror.

#16 ZippySpeedMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 356 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dropship Earth

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:31 AM

No

#17 a le Roi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:38 AM

View PostNightbird, on 14 June 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

A 2 man can swing a pug game without much effort

One man with a mic can swing a pug game without much effort. That's still not a reason to ban everyone with a mic from the solo queue.

View PostCloves, on 14 June 2018 - 07:16 AM, said:

If this where true, why is there a 10-15 minute wait in the group que while the solo que is instant? And please, OP, the idea that a four man team would not affect balance in the solo que is so laughable it makes me believe you are trolling.

Of course it can affect balance. But so can two random players who decided to talk to each other. Or four players in a lance who decide to actually play as a lance.

There's nothing magic about 2 friends who want to play together vs. 2 strangers who decide to cooperate.

#18 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

You realized that in solo games you still have a whole team around you? The only difference is that this team consists of random players instead of well-attuned groups. Solo only refers to the queue, but each match itself is only as solo as you are willing to work with your team.

There are several reasons why players prefer random teammates. I guess the most important one is time. For instance i usually only play a couple matches in a row and then take a longer break. Within a coordinated team this can be problematic, those usually require a bit more and consistent time investment. And you also have quite some overhead from starting the game until you are in a group ready to play. You know, someone needs to finish a build, the next one needs to pee ect.

So for players who only want to invest 0.5-1h on a given evening, group play may not be the best choice. So as a nice dev you give them a mode where they can make the most out of their limited time.

And needless to say that there is no singleplayer game like MWO and even MW5 won't change this because bots can't replace true opponents. It's a false assumption that solo players don't want other players in their games. For instance you would be surprised how many solo players can be found in MMORPGs like WoW, never joining a guild.

TLDR: Solo only means you are not part of a fixed group and prefer to play with random people. That's the only difference.

Edited by Daggett, 14 June 2018 - 07:49 AM.

#19 a le Roi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:51 AM

View PostLuminis, on 14 June 2018 - 06:54 AM, said:

Solo. Google it and ask yourself: Did I just ask a remarkably stupid question?

Spoiler: Yes, yes you did.

Is it written in the laws of physics that it has to be called "solo" queue?

No, in fact the game UI makes no such distinction. It's just "Quick Play" whether you join solo or in a group. The division to solo and group queues is an underlying dynamic that can obviously be changed - and should be changed at least for groups smaller than a full lance.

#20 Anastasius Foht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:52 AM

Groups care only about themselfs, i saw many multiplayer games where soloQ was allowed to play with small group, all they do -its only care for each other using another team as meat shields and not responding at ANY team calls like "Help" or "We need to push". Im not even talking about "genius" who trying to ask for "small" 4 mans group, its not small its 1/3 pls use math.
Instead, my proposal to DIVIDE "SoloQ Rating" and "Group Rating", top stats guys play like 40 games for season in 12 mens groups, get 3-4 KDA and 2-3 W/L, i see no point to mix this guys with solo only ones.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users