Underrated Old Mech

25 replies to this topic

#1 dragonkid11

• Pip
  • Wild Dog
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:53 AM

I was just randomly finding gameplay of MWO to try to get good and suddenly I found a youtuber with in-depth guide on specific chassis.

One of the mech he was mentioning was the Banshee, with builds that frankly made me very interested in buying one with the recent sale.

I bought one, gave it a build of 1 LL, 7 ML and 1 HGR with 5 tons of ammo, and I was not disappointed at all.

It seems the Banshee went so under the radar that nobody was sure what to make of it as I melt their face off with my laser and punch hole into them with the heavy gauss rifle.

Now I'm looking forward to purchasing the Kintaro, which has the reputation of being an incredibly ****** mech with its huge CT hitbox but then PGI gave it super high armor quirk and... probably fixed the hitbox? Not a single person I asked could tell, oddly enough.

So, what other underrated mech that you think people should play more, or you know, don't, so you can reap all the benefits of having a completely unknown mech.

#2 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:16 AM

That's the spirit!

I also have Banshee, although it's a Champion variant, which I won on some event (and I had it's normal version, so I pretty much did an upgrade. Managed even to get some C-Bills in process) :)

#3 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:24 AM

Honestly, Banshee is not that used for a reason. There is one good variant IIRC, which is ok mech, and other Banshee variants are pretty bad compared to alternatives. Atlases are better at tanking, Highlanders are better if you need something like a more mobile Atlas, Battlemasters are better energy carriers.

I agree that there are a lot of mech that are very good but not played much.

Lights:
Osiris - I can't say that it is better than its competitors, but I very rarely see the mech while it is better than some mechs I see often.

Mediums:
Wolverine - super fast and agile, firepower is good, one of the best medium mechs. IMO, it is much better than Griffins I see a lot more often.
Enforcer - tanky, heavily quirked medium mech with good amount of hardpoints. Very good for medium ballistics+lasers combos.
Hunchback - the hardpoints on this thing are very good, some variants have pretty crazy quirks. Is it out of fashion?
Hunchback IIC - not as durable as IS variants, but it is THE Clan medium weapon boat (missile/energy/BIG ballistics). It has viable builds that IS mechs have access to starting with 65t mechs.
Kintaro - the KTO-18 is basically an equivalent of Bushwacker BSW-P1. Some people think it is better. For some reason the Bushy is widely used and Kintaro is not. So, if you need something very strong and hipster for Scouting, you may use this.

Heavies:
Summoner - Wolverine of heavies. It has a mobility of agile medium mech, but very tonnage limited. It was a king of poptart meta, now it is almost forgotten. For those, who favor mobility over firepower, it is a very good choice.
Orion - super durable heavy. I believe people are using Roughnecks now instead due to better hardpoints. Orion has better weapon quirks and is very durable. Less love for pocket Atlas than it deserves IMO.

Assault:
Highlander - it is durable and has decent mobility. I don't see those much, the Cyclops is probably to blame.

In the assault class there are far less roles available than in any other class. So it is basically a tank (Atlas), or DPS (MkII, BAS), or better both (Anni, Fafnir). So there are some the best at the role mechs and taking the other feels like handicapping the team.
when you took a Banshee and see a couple of those in your team, while noticing a couple of Annies at the spearhead of enemy team, you know it won't end well.

The only close thing to this is seeing a Locust, Commando and Piranha in enemy team vs allied Panther, Raven 3L and Kit Fox. Yeah, you can only hope that there are some good light hunters in your team and those squirrels are piloted by potatoes..

#4 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:03 AM

Kintaro - the KTO-18 is basically an equivalent of Bushwacker BSW-P1. Some people think it is better. For some reason the Bushy is widely used and Kintaro is not. So, if you need something very strong and hipster for Scouting, you may use this.

Probably due to the kintaro's absurd size and ultra easy to hit CT, it and the treb are nearly heavies in terms of weight but in model size are easily the size of some assaults.

#5 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:11 PM

I like that list...

View Posttutzdes, on 17 June 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

Lights:
Osiris - I can't say that it is better than its competitors, but I very rarely see the mech while it is better than some mechs I see often.

For me at least, I tried a lot of close range builds early on and lost interest (srms, MGs and spls builds, which was probably a huge mistake on new, unskilled chassis). But I just went back and watched some of JuJu's videos of one of the variants (-4D with just 6xmlas?) and I was pretty impressed. But then again, he also did like 1200 or 1400 damage in QP on a 4xMlas 4xHMG Ember, and I've never been able to do well in that mech so YMMV, LOL.

#6 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 17 June 2018 - 09:03 AM, said:

Probably due to the kintaro's absurd size and ultra easy to hit CT, it and the treb are nearly heavies in terms of weight but in model size are easily the size of some assaults.

It is not really the case. Kintaro's size is the same as that of Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Wolverine - so it is exactly as big as other 55t humanoid mediums and not any bigger. It does have close to "absurd" "size" of its durability quirks.

View PostErronius, on 17 June 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

I just went back and watched some of JuJu's videos of one of the variants (-4D with just 6xmlas?) and I was pretty impressed. But then again, he also did like 1200 or 1400 damage in QP on a 4xMlas 4xHMG Ember, and I've never been able to do well in that mech so YMMV, LOL.

These super skilled light pilots can make some terrible mechs to perform like ungodly OP machines of destruction, sure :}

I'm an average pilot and I like my mid-range harassment 5xERML OSR-2V a lot (and it is definitely not the best variant/build).

#7 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

Kintaro is an awesome mech and unlike the bushwhacker it does not have an XL engine .

#8 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

View Posttutzdes, on 17 June 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

It is not really the case. Kintaro's size is the same as that of Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Wolverine - so it is exactly as big as other 55t humanoid mediums and not any bigger. It does have close to "absurd" "size" of its durability quirks.

Thats like saying this fat guy isnt fat cause hes standing in line with four other fat guys. -.-

#9 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 18 June 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

Thats like saying this fat guy isnt fat cause hes standing in line with four other fat guys. -.-

Fat (tall, big or small) is a comparative term. It means that the thing has some characteristic feature which makes it different from other things of the same other parameters.

For the Kintaro the "same other parameters" are tonnage (55t) and shape (humanoid). It is the same size as all other 55t humanoid mechs, it is slightly bigger than humanoid 50t mechs and slightly smaller than 60t humanoid mechs. You told that Kintaro is of the size of some assaults, which is FALSE. You continue using metaphors instead of facts as arguments. It looks like you weren't mistaken about the size as I assumed at first, but just intentionally spreading misinformation. Which is sad.

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,681 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:55 AM

I've got a BNC-3M, retooled it with 2xLPL and 6xERML recently and found it devastatingly effective een after the supposed hardpoint nerfs.

View Posttutzdes, on 17 June 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

Hunchback - the hardpoints on this thing are very good, some variants have pretty crazy quirks. Is it out of fashion?
Seems so. I found the 4J to be excellent for MRM40+4xML build (as a pure MRM carrier it loses to TBT-7M).

Hitboxes, the Kintaro loses arms too easily. Math-wise, its' cooldown quirks let it reach almost the same DPS as the BSW-P1 with one less hardpoint (if I recall my napkin math, on a 5xSSRM-4 vs 6xSSRM-4 the difference was within 5%). You get more tonnage, though, so you can get a bigger engine or better cooling.

Edited by Horseman, 20 June 2018 - 05:56 AM.

#11 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

Can the Wolverine get some leg armor quirks ktxbai. Posted Image

#12 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:58 PM

I own all of the Hunchbacks (minus the hero) and they're all actually pretty good. They're not meta mechs y any means but I don't think that they're anywhere near the botto - at least in quickplay queue. The 4G has that massive AC20 buff while the 4H can run a variety of heavy ballistics with energy weapons to success including the HGR. The 4P actually has gotten better over the years with more hill-hump maps at larger ranges, something it can keep up to the clans with thanks to IS ERMLs from the Civil War update. The 4SP has massive armour quirks and can fight quite well as a skirmisher with no-gimmick builds. The 4J, while a LRMboat, is one of the best LRMboats in the game IMO, thanks to its quirks and its six energy hardpoints, allowing it to pack as many as six MLs or 5 MLs and a TAG all while mounting two LRM10s. While it gets a bad rap from just appearing to be a LRMboat it can switch between direct firesupport and indirect fire support at any given moment. It's like a Tempest that is twenty tons lighter.

Again, I'm under no illusion that it is some high tier chassis but none of the C-Bill Hunchbacks are bad. They all have their strengths and can do fine in quickplay. Some are a lot more flexible than others but they all have at least one good build.

Edited by IllCaesar, 30 June 2018 - 06:07 PM.

#13 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:49 AM

I wouldn't say the Banshee is Underrated; (it might be, but imo, its nots...) its just people have piloted Banshees for years, and now have shinny new toys to play with. Annihilator is out for c-bills... and people who purchased their fafnirs with $$$ want to get some mileage out of their purchase.

what surprises me, is occasionally seeing Victors on the battlefield again! (I'm guessing we have the Heavy Gauss Rifle to thank for that!)

#14 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:59 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 13 July 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

I wouldn't say the Banshee is Underrated; (it might be, but imo, its nots...) its just people have piloted Banshees for years, and now have shinny new toys to play with. Annihilator is out for c-bills... and people who purchased their fafnirs with $$$ want to get some mileage out of their purchase.

what surprises me, is occasionally seeing Victors on the battlefield again! (I'm guessing we have the Heavy Gauss Rifle to thank for that!)

The Victor VTR-9S is honestly one of the best brawlers, pound for pound, in the inner sphere. Especially after the recent ammo buffs. Mine goes 70 KPH, has jump jets, runs cool, packs 3 ASRM6 + AC20 for a mean punch, and has armor for days because of the armor quirks it gets.

The VTR-9A1 is interesting for it's triple ballistics points, I've been running 3x LBX10 or 2x UAC10 + UAC5 on them and they're quite effective.

The VTR-9B and VTR-9K are both pretty useless though, which is sad. The VTR-DS might get some life back if they ever buff assault jump jets, as 2 HPPC + AC10 might make a decent poptart, but it can't jump well enough to do it ATM.

#15 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 13 July 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

The Victor VTR-9S is honestly one of the best brawlers, pound for pound, in the inner sphere. Especially after the recent ammo buffs. Mine goes 70 KPH, has jump jets, runs cool, packs 3 ASRM6 + AC20 for a mean punch, and has armor for days because of the armor quirks it gets.

The VTR-9A1 is interesting for it's triple ballistics points, I've been running 3x LBX10 or 2x UAC10 + UAC5 on them and they're quite effective.

The VTR-9B and VTR-9K are both pretty useless though, which is sad. The VTR-DS might get some life back if they ever buff assault jump jets, as 2 HPPC + AC10 might make a decent poptart, but it can't jump well enough to do it ATM.

^this post brings a smile to my face! Glad to hear your rockin it in the victor! Happy hunting (sad the victors that I own are the ones that are not so good... but I’m very interested in buying the 9A1, and after that, I’ll try your 9S

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 13 July 2018 - 08:07 PM.

#16 Raroo

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

I run the VTR-9K with MRM 50 an 2 SNPPC, the VTR-9B with SNPPC, ULTRA 20, 2 SRM 6+A. Maybe little hot, but who cares ;) I'll have fun with it.

#17 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:57 AM

The Cataphract-1X is seriously underrated thanks to the Heavy Gauss it can mount coupled with its chassis bonus to ballistics firing rate.

1 HGauss, 5 Medium lasers and you've got a durable close range brawler. High mount for the HGauss allows you to crest hills and ridges to annihilate 25 points of armor in a second.

#18 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:24 PM

Still enjoy my free Centurion.

#19 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,681 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:24 PM

View PostNine-Ball, on 15 September 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

Cataphract (...) High mount for the HGauss

Does not compute. Cataphracts' torso ballistics are waist-level.

#20 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:26 AM

It took me a year and a day wrangling with my Banshee 3S before finally also ending up with the build the OP has (although mine has one less laser in favor of AMS and less ammo in favor of a CASE, both on account of the mech's propensity for catching stray bullets with its massive profile). I can confirm it's extremely lethal, and only one of the two sides explodes at the drop of a hat unlike double HGR builds.

I also get a lot of mileage out of the Banshee Siren, which surprises me more than anyone. The shoulder-height arm MRM mount that doesn't expand its hitbox is super good; it's one of few assault brawlers that can take on mechs at a much higher or lower elevation than itself because it doesn't rely on torso pitch to bring most of its firepower to bear.

The Cataphract 1X was the first mech I ever got in the game back when the Ilya Muromets was just about to become The Meta and tbh it's only gotten better with age (which unfortunately can't be said for the Muromets!). The armor quirks and 20% ballistic cooldown are crazy with an AC/20, and people love to forget how high the shoulder energy mounts are. It's one of an extremely small number of mechs that I willingly put an ER PPC on because it gives the mech some reach and also combines well with the cooldown-boosted ballistic mount with a cooldown bonus of its own.

Edited by Mister Maf, 16 September 2018 - 01:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users