Breaking The Meta

13 replies to this topic

#1 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:06 AM

Anyone else boldy and bravely taking mechs that break the meta? IE: Not an Annie in Div 1.

So here's where I'm sitting at.

Div 1: Probably get some flak for this, but my Death Strike. Only thing that I have that can take on an Annie and win. Anything else is just painful.
(2 Gauss, 2 HLL, 4 ML)

Div 2: A Banshee 3S: (3 LL, 5 ML)
Gurlges the Gargoyle: (1 UAC20, 4 HSML)

Div 3: Phannytos: (Dual Heavy Gauss)

Div 4: Black Knight: (3 LL, 5 ML)

Div 5: Griffin (XL, 4 SRM 6)

The last two I think are a bit too meta for me so I'm aiming to switch it up at some point.

Edited by DrtyDshSoap, 03 July 2018 - 12:44 AM.

#2 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:36 AM

you have your divisions inverted.

Yes I have some off meta picks,

I've vs someone regularly recently whos now top 10 who has used a lot of off meta picks.

#3 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:44 AM

Woops. Lol

#4 aardappelianen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 195 posts
  • Locationamsterdam

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:21 AM

9x atm 3 arctic wolf with 3 tons of ammo an active probe and a 117kph engine in div 1
Went straight to the top 200 in this build absolutely murdering any assault i faced, bu recently the ac boats seem to have swapped to heavy gaus buils that can take me in 2 shots
And higher tier assault pilots know how to stick to cover so my ratio has taken a beating
If only atms didn't have such a strong tendency to go to the legs :P

#5 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:52 AM

Yes

In division 5:
Locust 1E 6x SPL

In division 6:
Flea FL-17 with 5xSPL + 2xSL

#6 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:20 AM

Division 6: Hunchback 4G with 2 RAC5s and a medium laser.
Division 7: ECM spider with 2 snub-nose PPCs, only 1-2 JJs, and 104kph speed. It runs hot, and requires a hit-and-fade strategy, but even the fights I don't win are usually close. I'm usually taking on mechs with more hardpoints and 50% more tonnage.

#7 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:31 AM

I'm not sure if it's meta in Div 3, but I ran a VTR-9S to get my 25 games in, 22-3 with it. It's pretty good. Div 4, I used a ZEU-9S with 6 MPL + MRM40 for most of my games, but I can't beat a Jagermech with it, so I switched to the dark side of using Jagerspam after a while. Div 5 I just used a KTO-18 with 4x ASRM6 + RL10. It did OK, but died to anything fast enough to kite it.

#8 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:18 AM

Running Eisenhorne's suggested BK build and crawled my way back up passed the starting Elo without issue. I reckon I can get to top 500 in it, will try tonight. I have an MRM Cent I'm setting up for Div 6 which ought to be fine. I run a Scorch for Div 1 but until I get another 'Mech passed its ranking I'm hesitant to pilot it again, as I could easily plummet on an evening's worth of Annihilator encounters.

#9 tacorodwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 200 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWexford, Ireland

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:03 AM

Yea For Div 1 and 2 i just stuck with the anni's. Went for Med pulse laser brawl builds. Got inside the top 500 in 25 games. Actually in Div 2 i was considering throwing a few as it looked like I might reach top 100 lol. Div 3 I went for the Victor as well and got to 300ish in 25 games. Div 4 was my Roughneck Reaver with 2 UAC 10, that thing got me to 112th in 25 games. It is amazing for beating the AC2 spam builds. As are the Anni's in Div 1 and 2, never lost a game to an ac2 spam King Crab. Just twist until in range Shoot CT twist repeat until it is dead.

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:52 AM

Building a Warhawk now, I've run out of gxp on the last 20 nodes so I have to farm that the old fashioned way, but I think it's going to be fun running a mini-Scorch.

#11 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:47 PM

Div 7 I usually run the Spider-5D with 3mpl. It's not easy but can be pretty satisfying if I get the win.

Haven't spent enough time playing the other divisions to settle on builds yet.

#12 Dartangan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:09 PM

The only example of "breaking the meta" I can say I've seen, if "breaking" involves "winning consistently enough to break the top 10." Is that GhostPaladin fella in Div 1. #3 in one of those aforementioned SRM boat light/mediums.

At this point, we're in day 89 of 90, statistics tells us, if someone hasn't found a way to make some off-kilter thing work by now, I wouldn't. But I like seeing that stuff, and can't say I haven't killed that GhostPaladin fella with my Annhilator more times than he got me.

...and speaking of things not likely to get or keep you in the top 10, if I could just NOT play Solaris when I get home intoxicated. (I'm working on that.... yoyo'd from #7 overall, down to #25 and back to #12 currently)

#13 Uakari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:10 AM

Mad Cats are strong against anh. Won quite often against those ac2 ******* with double UAC 20 and 2 SRM6.

You can snipe them a bit from afar. Double tap and you ve got an 80 alpha. Ghost heat yes, but enough time to cool down and its very good dps.

Edited by Uakari, 17 July 2018 - 02:10 AM.

#14 Dartangan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 104 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:54 AM

Uakari....

And how did that really work out for you? Winning "sometimes" or "quite often" simply doesn't cut it on the @#$@% scoreboard. And that's what we're talking about here, right?

I mean, hell, inconsistently you can do all kinds of weird Sh@$ with bull@$%# mechs. If a 500th place, or better yet, participation trophy is what you're after, then congrats.

When you can SHOW us on the leaderboard rather than type about it in the forums, I'll be impressed.

This is Solaris, not quickplay, there's a scoreboard dudes and dudettes.

-Dart

Edited by Dartangan, 17 July 2018 - 06:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users