How Much Should I Be Listening To "build Advice"

52 replies to this topic

#1 darkeyed

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:35 AM

so I am a new player and had a friend set up my mech after they watched some of my streamed games and recently every couple of matches I have been getting rather rude comments on how i need to change my firing groups " I'm sure you can find more than 2 buttons" I was set up with 2 gausses 2 meds and 2 heavy lasers on a madcat and my firing groups put all the lasers in one group and the gauss in the other grouping. essentially I poke my nose out fire everything then pull back and reposition. Posted Image now in this game, i pulled 900 but still my team gave me crap about firing all my laser in a group when I'm having a solid game my damage tends to be between 400-800 and every now and then a couple of players will harp on my firing setup. so should i listen to them? will I see an improvement by splitting my laser into 2 different groups or should I just keep honing my current build and tactics?

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:52 AM

If you out-perform them then you can safely ignore their advice.

#3 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:05 AM

The salt is always strong on the losing side...

To add to what Elizander says: Make sure people actually know what they are talking about before listening to their advice.

Advice is good. I listen to everything people tell me. And then I research it. And then I may or may not try it out. Because something a lot of people do not seem to get is:

Just because it works for you, does not mean it works for everybody else.

I have a lot of Mechs that the pros consider "Potato Mechs". I enjoy playing them. I do well with them. I bought a real overpowered Mech and could not get it to work for me. I did not manage to do what I set out to do and it wasn't any fun to play.

Having said that, some advice. Posted Image 935 damage is great, but 0 kills indicates you spread the damage out too much. You might want to look into staying with one target for a longer amount of time to secure a kill.

***EDIT: Also, the results look very familiar... Was that me in the Nova? ;) ***

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 08 July 2018 - 08:49 AM.

#4 darkeyed

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:17 PM

well unless you use a different name for you gameplay than Nova is not you as for the getting 0 kills the biggest flaw with my tactic is that after firing I have to pull back behind cover to let my mech cooldown and reload,(on reflection its the very same tactics I learned playing world of tanks, which might be why he sat the mech up this way) which means if my haymaker doesn't kill them it tends to send them fleeing to cover or they are picked off by an ally which is why my assist count tends to be extremely high. i thank you both for your advice I just wanted to make sure that was right to write off the very rude ways people were complaining about my firing set up.

Edited by darkeyed, 08 July 2018 - 12:20 PM.

#5 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:25 PM

Just do what I do, politely ask them if they would like to perhaps also come over to your place and play for you while you go to their place and sleep with their mother.

#6 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:43 PM

I had a number of matches that were bad stomps yesterday, most of them happening when my team had 2-3 Warhawks. I rotated through my favourite Mechs, which include the Nova, trying to get some wins at least. In the end I logged all frustrated, with a 3:13 record. So it could have well been me. :) I had a few matches where I died relatively quickly. Turned a corner and found all of the enemy just waiting for me. But I do play under the same name as the forum name.

Having said that, how much heat does one full alpha produce for you? If you want us to, and post a smurfy link, we can take a look at your build and see whether we can squeeze some more performance out of it.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

Any advise should be taken with a grain of salt Posted Image What tier are you in? If you just started last month then either tier 4, maybe tier 3. As for firing groups, were you one of the last few to die, and during the matches was the mech shutting down due to overheat? And when you said poke, fire then reposition, are you in the middle of the pack or rear and how far? Below is only a possibility, each match is different and many times is determined by which side is most aggressive when an error occurs.

This is whether or not to use the team for a meatshield and not sharing armor, ie not making oneself a target in an assault an assault, thus saving that armor til the end with the entire surviving team left with one or two targets. The difference MIGHT have been enough to change the result from that 12-6, ie allowing a team mate to survive a few more moments to get a kill or savage its target enough to fall to the next incoming fire.

The bad thing is there is an event going on where the setup requires for specific Clan mechs to be used and get x amount of Most damage done and/or kill shot, that is why ya see those Warhawks (C) (trial mech) Neat mech, took only two drops to earn 5 Kill or KMDD in it.

On the Gauss Rifles, put them on 4-5-6 grouping too. Around the crosshairs are bars to show charge/cooldown, a helpful indication for the GR line.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 08 July 2018 - 01:22 PM.

#8 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

View Postdarkeyed, on 08 July 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

will I see an improvement by splitting my laser into 2 different groups or should I just keep honing my current build and tactics?

Either split medium and large laser or make a new group for just the large lasers.
Thing is, sometimes your mediums will be out of range and firing them will do nothing except generating heat.
You could also set one group to chainfire, sometimes, an enemy is one or two points of damage away from dying, sometimes you're close to your mechs heatlimit.
It's all about options, you might not need them most of the time but having the option to only shoot one laser can make a difference at times.

#9 darkeyed

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:00 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
time played is at 28 hours tier 4 I am very new
as for where I tend to be I tend to play on the frontlines and middle of the pact depending on how the match is going. as for my heat firing once puts me up above 50% but by the time can fire again my heat is down to 20% and that point if I just wait 6 seconds my heat is at zero.
and toha at the ranges I tend to be fighting at both my med and heavy are both within range, and if my team is sitting back and sniping I spend my time patrolling the flanking spots or moving to reinforce somewhere where the enemy is trying to push.

Edited by darkeyed, 08 July 2018 - 02:17 PM.

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

so I am a new player and had a friend set up my mech after they watched some of my streamed games and recently every couple of matches I have been getting rather rude comments on how i need to change my firing groups " I'm sure you can find more than 2 buttons" I was set up with 2 gausses 2 meds and 2 heavy lasers on a madcat and my firing groups put all the lasers in one group and the gauss in the other grouping. essentially I poke my nose out fire everything then pull back and reposition.

When listening to advise, you can take as much or as little from it as you wish. Listen to it, but that doesn't mean you "have" to nor "must" you follow it.

In this case, I know my preference would be to split it up into three groups (if possible). Gauss in it's own group, then (because their ranges as so similar), I'd have my lasers set up for "Right" side and "Left" side (if applicable); or I'd have the HLLs on their own and the ERMLs separate in another group (as HLLs do have a slight bit more range).

Personally, I'd do this for two reasons. The first is heat management, as if I'm running too hot to shoot all the lasers, I can at least shoot some of them. The second is if someone is standing in front of my left guns (if applicable), I can shoot only my right guns and have a lower risk of causing team damage (rather than choosing between dealing some damage to the enemy and my allies, or not dealing any damage at all).

However, if your preference is to shoot all the lasers at once, and it works for you, then go for it. Ignore those who complain, because it's a rather minor point overall. Of course, people will complain about anything and everything. Bring a sniper build, people complain when they charge in recklessly by themselves that you were not with them (though you should still be near your team). Bring LRMs? They complain just because you have LRMs, even if you are in front of them for the entire game. Sometimes, it's best to ignore the complainers.

#11 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

Meh, I purposely stick to 2 firing groups. Not because I 'can't' do more firing groups with my mouse, but because I can't find a mouse that fits in my hand and trying to hit the side/top buttons with my bear-paws is uncomfortable as hell (and scroll wheel/button doesn't feel much better). My hand ends up twisted like some sort of crab trying to touch its own belly with its claws, so I don't even bother trying anymore.

I've only rarely had anyone say anything to me though.

#12 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

View PostErronius, on 08 July 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

... but because I can't find a mouse that fits in my hand and trying to hit the side/top buttons with my bear-paws is uncomfortable as hell (and scroll wheel/button doesn't feel much better).

I have my third weapon fire group set to left shift, because I only have a two button (and a wheel) mouse. Just a possible suggestion/concept to think about. Typically good for locking weapons, such as LRMs or SSRMs, but can work for any weapon. Only weapon it doesn't work with are press and hold weapons, such as MGs and Flamers, because if I hold left shift, forwards and try to turn... my keyboard kinda stops working...

#13 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

Huh, I might have to look at my keyboard map sometime

#14 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:54 PM

The weapons sync up well enough that I probably would not bother changing anything. People are right with the heat potentially being an issue. You produce about 44 heat (minus skills) with the laser alpha. But I would assume that it is not much of an issue except when you are brawling heavily. And even then, you still have the double Gauss. In most other situations it should work out fine, actually reducing the amount of time people are shooting at you.

#15 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:11 PM

Evaluate the advice, if it doesn't make sense then ignore it. If not sure, try it out.

#16 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:43 PM

so I am a new player and had a friend set up my mech after they watched some of my streamed games and recently every couple of matches I have been getting rather rude comments on how i need to change my firing groups " I'm sure you can find more than 2 buttons" I was set up with 2 gausses 2 meds and 2 heavy lasers on a madcat and my firing groups put all the lasers in one group and the gauss in the other grouping. essentially I poke my nose out fire everything then pull back and reposition. Posted Image now in this game, i pulled 900 but still my team gave me crap about firing all my laser in a group when I'm having a solid game my damage tends to be between 400-800 and every now and then a couple of players will harp on my firing setup. so should i listen to them? will I see an improvement by splitting my laser into 2 different groups or should I just keep honing my current build and tactics?

A lot of people will tell you not to do this...But turn VOIP off. Nobody has anything constructive to say. Me especially.

On another note: Normally I wouldn't have more than two main firing groups, other firing groups are just to mitigate heat/heat management.
Another note note: When 11 other people have to watch you play, they'll often criticize everything, doesn't matter how good you do, "they can do it better" mentality. More often than not, they're people who struggle not to drool on themselves when they tie their shoes, best not to take advice from people that can't tie their own shoes. Just let the match score/damage speak for itself.

#17 darkeyed

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:47 AM

thank you, everyone, for your replies I just wanted to say that started to clear up doubt that I was starting to get because it the salt i was getting was always about my firing groups and so I thank you in reaffirming my faith in my views. I had seen that it was salt the fact that it was only about my firing groups was starting to shake my belief that I was right using said fire group.

#18 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:17 AM

2 groups is fine. Just ignore dead players who are usually bad.

#19 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:07 PM

It's best to gleam what you can about the mechanics of the game and come to your own conclusion through a filter of common sense.

#20 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

I actually would suggest rebuilding your mech to put the heavy lasers on one side and mediums on the other. Then, you can rebind your laser groups so they fire from one side and the other. Allows for a bit more precision whilst poking, but I 'unno if you wanna branch out into multipule weapon groups this early. I know I stuck with two button mechs for quite a few months before I started making three an four an five button monstrosities.

Anyways. Food for thought, having the lighter weapons on one side'd allow you to favour twisting to a less valuable shield side an save the heavies for later into the fight.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 11 July 2018 - 01:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users