As7-Kraken Build Opinions

11 replies to this topic

#1 rook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

Trying to compare some Atlas builds, not sure which one I like best? Any suggestions or opinions?

KRAKEN - AC20/2xSNPPC/3xMpulse

KRAKEN - AC20/2xSNPPC/2xSRM6

KRAKEN - AC20/2xHPPC

#2 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:06 PM

I'd probably roll with something like KRAKEN, as personal preference

Edited by Audacious Aubergine, 10 July 2018 - 11:06 PM.

#3 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:17 PM

Since I already have a dedicated brawl atlas, I went with the current fashion of mounting MRMs on everything, including my KRAKEN.
The medium lasers are mainly for taking out UAVs.

Edited by Brethren, 10 July 2018 - 11:19 PM.

#4 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

Been debating what I wanted to do with my Kraken since I bought the solaris pack mainly for the urbie and maddog. Seems made for brawling with the generic range and cooldown quirks along with the nice armour quirks for added fun. No skills yet but it still hefty armour even for an assault. Guess I'll know when I run it and either do ok or get reamed. Not really all that good at the big heavy slow mechs. Posted Image I prefer my zippy lights and mediums. Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Shinichi Yamamoto

• PipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:58 AM

I run mine with a UAC20, 2 MRM30s and 2 ERMeds for shooting down UAVs. Good burst, armor, speed, and heat mgmt when you dont shoot your lasers.

#6 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:54 PM

No ams? Been seeing a lot of atm and srm spam lately and atlas are not exactly able to leap into cover if they get targeted.

#7 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

If you're going to go AC20+SNPPC+MPL, lose the third MPL and just deadside that sucker. Big disclaimer: I haven't had much success with the Atlas in general ever since the halcyon days of the very first wave of loyalty 'Mechs, when the AS7-S(L) was one of the best assaults. I've been rotating through Kraken configs, and AC20+SNPPC+MPL is the only combo I've gotten any traction with at all... the 'Mech is just too tall and too wide for my taste, even with all that extra armor. It's always the first thing people focus, but it's rarely able to give as good as it gets. I have lots of respect for good Atlas drivers... I am not one of them.

Also... never skip leg day. Just don't. If your leg armor rating is hovering around 50% of your total possible leg armor, then you're asking for trouble. If a single alpha strike from pretty much any decent medium 'Mech config on up can crit your leg out in one go, there's a serious flaw in your build- especially if that's where you've stored most of your ammo. Because stripping leg armor for tonnage is so common, many experienced players will test your legs first before targeting another location, if they have a chance to... and if they see that you're weak there, they will mercilessly devour you- and in a 100-tonner, there is nothing you'll be able to do about it. In a 'Mech this big and slow, it is absolutely worth the couple of extra tons to avoid an early, messy, embarrassing death by kneecapping. 3/4 total leg armor or more, every time, every config (except for lights and smaller mediums, where it should always be 100%).

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 08 August 2018 - 07:15 PM.

#8 rook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:35 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 08 August 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

Also... never skip leg day. Just don't. If your leg armor rating is hovering around 50% of your total possible leg armor, then you're asking for trouble. If a single alpha strike from pretty much any decent medium 'Mech config on up can crit your leg out in one go, there's a serious flaw in your build- especially if that's where you've stored most of your ammo. Because stripping leg armor for tonnage is so common, many experienced players will test your legs first before targeting another location, if they have a chance to... and if they see that you're weak there, they will mercilessly devour you- and in a 100-tonner, there is nothing you'll be able to do about it. In a 'Mech this big and slow, it is absolutely worth the couple of extra tons to avoid an early, messy, embarrassing death by kneecapping. 3/4 total leg armor or more, every time, every config (except for lights and smaller mediums, where it should always be 100%).

For the Atlas specifically, I would disagree. With the quirks and a full armor tree, 48 points of armor in a leg is equivalent to 75 leg armor + 48 structure (total of > 100 points of heath). It would take several large alphas to cut out an atlas leg, and people usually put those shots into your torso or CT.

#9 Ryan256

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMaylene, AL

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:40 AM

I'm kinda torn on how I want to set up my AS7-KR.
My first thought was a heavy gauss brawler. - HG, MRM40, 5 MPL
Second thought was the standard AC20 brawler. AC20, MRM40, 5ML

Any thoughts or suggestions on improving these?

Edited by Ryan256, 18 October 2018 - 07:42 AM.

#10 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:47 AM

View PostRyan256, on 18 October 2018 - 07:40 AM, said:

I'm kinda torn on how I want to set up my AS7-KR.
My first thought was a heavy gauss brawler. - HG, MRM40, 5 MPL
Second thought was the standard AC20 brawler. AC20, MRM40, 5ML

Any thoughts or suggestions on improving these?

I'd tweak the AC20 Brawler build a bit... like this. AC20, MRM60, 2 ML. Faster moving, will run colder (5 medium lasers will just get too hot) and a bigger MRM punch.

#11 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:41 AM

Smurfy's acting up so I'll just list it.

Zombie KRAKEN

STD 300
1 x Heavy Gauss Rifle
2 x ASRM6
5 x ER Medium Lasers

17 DHS
5 tons HGR ammo
2.5 tons SRM ammo

CASE Left Torso
CASE Right Torso

592/614 armour points
Standard armour
Standard structure

Due to slot restrictions, the SRM ammo is in the left torso and left arm, hence CASE. I put another CASE in the right torso to protect against HGR explosions.

You can swap them for an AMS and 0.5 ton of ammo instead.

#12 Freedom Eagle

Rookie

• Winged Reaper
  • Winged Reaper
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:42 PM

I have been running 3 LL, AC20, MRM 40. Almost Full Armor with the exception of the legs being at 102. It does run hot but it is very effective. When you get hot swap the 3LL over to chain fire and go to town.

GL HF.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users