I.s. Perspective - No Clan Mechs

3 replies to this topic

#1 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:02 AM

I play Mechwarrior Online due to fondness for Battletech. I love the Sucession Wars era and mechs, the only Clan mechs in my bays are giveaways: Timberwolf, Sunspider and Nova; which have never been used. I played some matches on the Pts using Cyclops, Warhammers, Cataphracts, and Jagermechs. Many opponents were Madcat MkII, SuperNovas, Kodiaks, Direwolves, Novas, Hellbringers and Ebon Jaguars (and an occasional Pirahna).

- Enemy mechs built for laser vomit were noticably weaker; primarily Novas, Hellbringers, and Ebon Jaguars.
- MadcatMKII and others relying on autocannons (dakka) seemed unchanged.
- More than one gauss heavy mech showed up, including two x4gauss Kodiak on Polar Highlands and my opponents did not seem to be hindered much by gauss shake.

So, if the PTS was setup to test curbing Alpha damage from x2gauss plus lasers I would call it a failure. My opponents Gauss builds seem just as effective as Live servers; only laser heavy builds seem weakened, which is not the problem PGI stated they seek to fix.

I would suggest PGI consider this an issue with Specific mechs which sport the High Alpha Build rather than a weapon balance issue requiring global changes.

As a suggestion, I started a topic a month ago to change the way dropdecks and the MatchMaker work. The MatchMaker cuurently looks for a similar skill pilot first and a similar tonnage mech second. Changing the second step to a similar performance mech (think similar to Solaris Tiers but a different system). i.e. the Spider 5V and Arctic Cheetah are both 30 tons so the Matchmaker thinks it is good, when a Spider5V should really be matched to a Locust 1V.

https://mwomercs.com...77#entry6113577

How would this fix High Damage Alpha?
- In Solo Quickplay Mechs able to sport those builds would be classed together; thus the Matchmaker would attempt to place them on both sides.
- In Group/Factionplay TeamTonnage/Dropdecks would be built using Point Valves rather than tonnages. Think of a mech's point rating like a golfer's handicap. Some need a few stroke's advantage to hang with the Pros. So instead of the Spider 5V taking 30 points, it would realistically be closer to the Locust 1V, so have it take 20 points (or less) when using it in a dropdeck. Similarly, the mechs capable of the High Alpha Builds may take more Dropdeck space than mechs of equal tonnange which cannot sport that build.

**edit**

Link below to funny match ending with both remaining opponents weaponless. Goes on for a long time before one gives up the cap! https://youtu.be/IKSDXBFdvig

Edited by SilentScreamer, 15 July 2018 - 06:09 AM.

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:06 PM

Sounds like your solution is the same as every player has ever said... Nerf the specific chassis/variants that are a problem, and fix the matchmaker.

#3 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:49 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 14 July 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

Sounds like your solution is the same as every player has ever said... Nerf the specific chassis/variants that are a problem, and fix the matchmaker.

Not quite. I would prefer matchmaking changes to allow for balancing without nerfs.

Moving to a simple point system for mechs in Matchmaker/TeamTonnage/DropDecks it would be possible to put all "High Alpha" mechs in a group by themselves, sure MadcatMkII, Direwolf and other Clanners throw out damage, but if they can be matched on the I.S, side by Annilators and Fafnirs, changing the matchmaker may fix the problem without nerfs.

Another way to put it, Gargoyle, Timberwolf and Ebon Jaguar can carry similar laser vomit. The EJ is prefered because it takes only 65 tons and has the best hitboxes. The Timberwold and Gargoyle are not used as much for regular laser vomit because it does not have favorable hitboxes/hardpoint placement and take 75 or 80 tons of dropdeck space.

So what if "units" were used instead of tonnage for dropdeck space and the EJ took more units than the Garg or Timber? Would players take the "cheapest" mech capable of their favorite build or would they take the more expensive unit cost with better hitboxes/weapon locations?

Edited by SilentScreamer, 15 July 2018 - 05:49 PM.

#4 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:58 PM

That's just a fix for the matchmaker that people have been asking for for years... At best, PGI might be trying to use Solaris to build that comparison list, but I doubt it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users