Inferno Missiles For The Is And How To Implement Them - A Proposal

4 replies to this topic

Poll: Infernos: Yes or no? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MWO have Inferno missiles?

1. Yes (14 votes [77.78%])

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

2. No (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:56 AM

Infernos were mentioned from practically day one in the Lore of the BT novels and I think it would not be Melee-level complicated to implement. So, here's my proposal how to put some Inferno into MWO:
  • Make Inferno missiles available to IS only. It has been one of THE guerilla weapon of choice during the lore succession wars and considered terribly barbaric by the Clans. Therefore no Infernos for the Clans.
  • Introduce them as SRM2/4 and LRM5 Inferno launchers (no streak).
  • Introduce matching ammunition amounts per ton comparable in amounts to its non-inferno versions. I could be discussed that Inferno Missiles could be bulkier and therefore only e.g. 80% of missiles per ton compared to their standart missile cousins.
  • Inferno Launchers can be installed in missile hardpoints.
  • No more than 1 Inferno launcher can be equipped to a Mech.
  • Give them the characteristics of a NARC missile regarding "sticking-to-a-Mech" and half of time that it sticks to the Mech (-> 15 sec).
  • Unlike NARC missiles that always hit CT, Inferno missiles have the hit characteristics of SRM and LRM.
  • To keep it simple, Infernos “stick” to the NARC skillnodes.
  • Calculate the heat transferred to the target in seconds times a base HPS times the amount of missiles.
  • Inferno missile heat will be transferred to the target further even when it’s shut down.
  • Inferno launchers will create the heat of its respective non-inferno version +1 tier. For example, an iSRM4 will create the heat of the SRM6 and the iLRM5 the heat of the LRM10.
  • In the event of an iSRM/iLRM component destruction, the damage of exploding ammunition and/or weapon will be X times the dmg compared to its respective version.
  • Inferno components have a higher crit chance compared to standart missile components.
  • In the event of an iSRM/iLRM component destruction, a heat penalty of X times the amount off missiles will be applied to the Mech. For example an iSRM4 destroyed applies 6 heat points to the Mech.
  • iSRM/iLRM will hit friend and foe.
  • iSRM/iLRM cannot be used against Generators, Turrets etc.
  • Since iSRM and iLRM are more NARC type missiles, they will not inflict any dmg.
  • iSRM/iLRM are strictly adding heat points to the target Mech parallel and independently from any heat generating mechanics within said target Mech.
All in all Infernos would be a very high risk weapon with interresting tactical usage. The amount of risk involved with it could be adjusted to make it not too appealing to mass-use them. You reallyhave to be mad enough to use it :-)

#2 Ghoja

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:44 AM

I would just like to melt Fleas.

#3 Absaint

• PipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:33 AM

Cool stuff, would need to apply alot of heat when crit, and the crit mechanics would have to be explained better so that players could go "crit hunting" inferno mechs.

Edited by Absaint, 16 November 2020 - 11:33 AM.

#4 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:32 AM

Seems a bit to strong and I think you could tell that already and why you limited it to one launcher.

The biggest issue is there is no way it should continue to add heat to a shut down mech. this would be highly exploited and ultimately become an unrecoverable situation. You could go with the flamer solution of capping it at 90% heat but even that would be to strong do to the range particularly if you are going to add them to LRMs.

a better solution would be to have it so that each inferno missile reduces the effectiveness of heat sinks on a mech. The actual numbers would need to be fiddled with but of hand 25% reduction to both heat cap and dissipation of a heat sink for LRMs and 50% per SRM.

This would mean that if every missile of an LRM 20 hit a mech you would be temporarily disabling 5 heat sinks and if every missile in an SRM 6 hit you would be disabling 3. You can then remove the limit of 1 per mech as a soft cap would already be implemented based on the total sinks in the targeted mech. Two LRM 20s would disable every heat sink on a mech carrying only the minimum.

You would still see a heat spike when the missiles hit you (represented by your heat cap being lowered) but the biggest effect would be felt when the target mech could no longer bleed heat and can even start gaining heat when moving. The penalties would not be applied to shut down mechs to prevent unrecoverable situations as mentioned before but would begin again if the inferno effect was still ongoing when the mech powered back up.

How long the effect lasted would again need to be fine tuned but I feel 5 to at most 10 seconds would be enough considering you can keep hammering the target with the missiles to keep the effect going.

as for the higher crit chance it would probably be better just to lower the HP of the items rather than making them more likely to get hit. It would have a similar effect but be cleaner do to how crits work. I'm also not sure it would still be needed if you went with the way I suggested implementing it. If they were to strong than it would be better to limit how much each missile effected a mech or remove the effect on heat cap.

This is because just making them more likely to crit or more devastating if they do crit is going to do little to dissuade the back line LRM boat who's probably in a situation they are going to be killed in anyway if they are taking structure damage so.

Edited by Cichol Balor, 22 January 2021 - 01:39 AM.

#5 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:06 PM

I somehow have never commented on this post...

I had a discussion with a player how flamers are a light mechs weapon, so this inferno lrm would give a heat weapon for the heavier mechs. As in other games, have them work like normal lrm 20 except, they deal 8 points of damage and not 20, but each on that hits deals 9 heat damage, double that of flamer, with cap still 90%, same tons, and unlike a flamer that always hits, ams or lams can block it.

Definitely could use a fresh weapon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users