5 replies to this topic

#1 Dan54

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:15 AM

Over the last while I have notices the balance was off per game so I started logging them, As it turns out 80% of the games are very unbalanced with final out comes around 12 to 2 or 12 to 3 . I was told by players that the tier system was no longer in use which is supported by the scores. I started asking in game and found many pilots see the same thing and the general consensus is PGI does not care and are wondering if they are going to let the game die. It is hard to keep players engaged if they keep losing 80 to 90 % of the time and obviously they will not spend money on a dying game. Does anyone else see this ?

#2 IIXxXII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:13 AM

If anyone wants to "save the game" encourage people you know to play.

I've tried to recruit people into playing this game in the past.

I think the learning curve and grind might be a bit too high for most casual gamers who just want to blow !@#% up.

HbS "Battletech" game seems to have introduced a new influx of players.

Things aren't that bad.

What makes things hard is some players have been playing mechwarrior 4 and similar games over the past 20 years. Others have never played before and are completely new as to how everything works. Throwing those two demographics into the same mix is punishing to beginners--which makes the game seem more unbalanced than it actually is.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:39 PM

Just going to copy/paste from another thread.

View PostKubernetes, on 13 July 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

This is exactly correct. In a high level match with all true T1 players, most matches will end in 12-3 stomps or worse. A 12-11 advantage is huge in this game, especially if teams are good at cycling damaged mechs to the back, so if one guy goes down there's a large potential to start the snowball. Whenever you see a 12-11 end match score, it's usually because a whole bunch of potatoes fought in small groups and wore each other down through slow attrition.

Last night I had a match where 8 enemies died in less than 20 seconds. We were trading and trading, and finally one of their assaults went down; it opened up a firing lane, and suddenly all their damaged mechs got hosed down in quick order. A close 2-2 match became 10-2 in a blink of an eye.

#4 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:20 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 17 July 2018 - 06:39 PM, said:

Just going to copy/paste from another thread.

Yeah, that seems about right to me. When ever someone calls a 12-3 a stomp, they're often unaware how damaged the winning team might be under the surface - 12-3 to 12-6 is a decent matchup where one team has been outplayed. 12-1 or 12-2 is usually indicative of a very one sided match, while anything over 12-6 is an extremely close game - maybe not at the end where one guy is in an impossible situation, but it means there were moments earlier in the game where a few individual choices could have determined the out come, and turned the snowball around.

#5 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:45 PM

So the lesson is to strive as a team to get the first few kills and make the snowball work for you.

#6 The Smoked Jaguar

Rookie

• Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:42 AM

Unfortunately these games are unbalanced. I have friends who go into quickplay on weekends and end up fighting with or against them. They are far from tier 1. You can tell the skill difference almost immediately when the real heat of battle begins in each game. I play an ACH with 2 ER lrg and ecm 95% of the time now because of this. I have turned 12-3 games into 11-11 games because of the skill level on the other team. If you play frequently you can tell which players are truly tier 1 and those that are not. The best you can do is just to go in with a mech you enjoy playing. Communication helps as well, just be ready for players who do not like to be told what to do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users