Yeonne Greene's Impressions

5 replies to this topic

#1 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:12 PM

Disclaimer: I disagree with the motivation and direction of this entire effort. I do not find the big Clan alphas to be overbearing in localized engagements or in the meta of the game as a whole. What I find to be an issue is that IS alphas are slightly too hot and too slow to cycle for the ~20% deficit they have in alpha damage on the live client and, in my opinion, the game would be more enjoyable if we buff those rather than nerf the Clans. I do not like this trend where IS and Clan equipment become more similar in how they behave and feel in the name of equality; PGI should be emphasizing the strengths and weaknesses of each side rather than dulling them.

I also do not appreciate PGI saying "the community asked for change XYZ", implicating the balance document we created, when the changes PGI makes are different in magnitude and context even if they are superficially similar. Thanks.

With that said, here are my impressions on the changed weapons and the changes I would make to them if we are still going to continue along the current course.

Spoiler

With a more holistic view, here is how I think the game will be affected by the current PTS changes sorted by weight class:

Spoiler

Honestly, I do not believe you can tweak only the Clan lasers; the entire suite of both IS and Clan lasers needs some adjusting because there is too much overlap within tech trees and because there is insufficient distinction across tech trees beyond "one side's version is better". With the current direction, we are going to end up with IS and Clan 'Mechs having not only quantitatively, but also qualitatively similar play. At that stage, I would have to ask "what is the point?" with regard to having distinct and mutually exclusive Clan and IS tech-trees.

Thank you for reading.

#2 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

not to nitpick but i think 6 is still too low.. 6.5 for erml and then id be "ok" with it.

aside from that they can shove the clan gauss shake back to hell where they thought that up from..

aside from that.

Posted Image

#3 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:58 AM

Well said.

#4 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:31 AM

View PostGrus, on 16 July 2018 - 09:24 PM, said:

not to nitpick but i think 6 is still too low.. 6.5 for erml and then id be "ok" with it.

aside from that they can shove the clan gauss shake back to hell where they thought that up from..

aside from that.

I had to think about it for awhile but, truthfully, if the goal is to reduce alphas then merely cutting half a point off of the cERML accomplish almost nothing. Hellbringers and Marauder IICs would go from 64 to 62, Deathstrikes from 80 to 78, Hunchback IICs from 50 to 48. I can't really justify some counter-buffs with such menial de-buffs to damage. While the above changes still suffer from making Clan lasers more IS-like, I believe they are at least more tightly tuned to deliver a more usable and satisfying experience than what PGI has done. My way, a Hellbringer will only deal 60, but it has a slightly better nominal damage rate than the live version and runs significantly cooler; this may actually end up being too good relative to a 'Mech like the Warhammer, which in comparison is absolutely scalding hot in the same range bracket, but we would have to see.

#5 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:50 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 17 July 2018 - 06:31 AM, said:

[color=#959595]While the above changes still suffer from making Clan lasers more IS-like, I believe they are at least more tightly tuned to deliver a more usable and satisfying experience than what PGI has done. [/color]

Again, in my opinion...

that's like asking a Ferrari to be built like a Ford.. no.

I keep saying this but the clan alpha isn't the issue, nether is the numbers of that alpha. we could be doing 150 damage but if it only scratches the paint on a IS mech and Clan mechs are still made of paper the clan mech will win that fight... if they want to nerf our damage they need to up or HP or damage resistance or do a nerf to IS HP and damage resistance.. just a blanket nerf on our side is telling of the bias that the balance team has...

and then there is the clan gauss shake... morons...

#6 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:30 PM

View PostGrus, on 17 July 2018 - 09:50 AM, said:

Again, in my opinion...

that's like asking a Ferrari to be built like a Ford.. no.

Fords are built better than Ferraris, for starters, and it's more like the Clans are Fords from 2018 running rings around IS Ferraris from the 1970s. Clans would never build Ferraris, that would be wasteful.

Regardless, so you know where I stand: I do not give a single, flying f*ck about the lore. It is poorly written, uninteresting tripe. What I care about is the fact that this competitive (read: PvP) game has two mutually exclusive factions and that there is no point to that being a thing if one is better than the other or if they are indistinguishable in look and feel. Any attempts to use lore as justification for any mechanical game change when conversing me will be met with a cold and unyielding lack of sympathy.

I keep saying this but the clan alpha isn't the issue, nether is the numbers of that alpha. we could be doing 150 damage but if it only scratches the paint on a IS mech and Clan mechs are still made of paper the clan mech will win that fight... if they want to nerf our damage they need to up or HP or damage resistance or do a nerf to IS HP and damage resistance.. just a blanket nerf on our side is telling of the bias that the balance team has...

IS 'Mechs are not THAT durable, and the entire point of PGI reducing Clan alphas is because they believe they are tearing through 'Mechs too quickly, including with the extra durability. Whether or not we agree with that is besides the point, it just doesn't make sense from their perspective to simultaneously lower the alpha AND lower the durability because that leaves them exactly where they started. Right change or wrong change, that sort of problem has plagued PGI for years; whenever something needs buffed or nerfed, they always end up buffing or nerfing its counter at the same time, meaning no net change. Around and around we go!

That aside, the alphas matter relative to hitpoints, but so does how efficient your trade is in terms of damage rate. Neither IS nor Clan vomit at 400-500 meters is cold enough to really push with, so that means trading. Both IS and Clan 'Mechs take essentially the same amount of time to expose and acquire the target. Both IS and Clan 'Mechs will do roughly the same amount of damage on the target in the same time frame (i.e. ~0.9 seconds), the difference is that the Clans have the potential to do more because the IS 'Mech may not be physically capable of twisting a component out of the way fast enough (due to shape or lack of torso agility or both), and against competent players they typically aren't fast enough. Even if that remainder isn't focused on one spot, it's still less armor across whatever components it does scrape so the next shot hurts more even if it isn't to the same place.

This is fine.

What isn't fine is that the IS trading 'Mechs do not have the same kind of output when heat capped and that they do not cycle fast enough to actually mean a damn thing even if they were cool enough to push with. If the theme is supposed to be Clans get big alphas at the cost of slow cycling, and the IS are supposed to be fast cycling at the cost of smaller alphas, then we ain't there yet. My suggestions in this thread do not address this, and in fact run counter to this, but that's because it's what PGI wants and not what I want. What I want is closer to what was in that Community Balance Proposal, but PGI is not interested.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users