Good Heavy Mechs With 2 Ams?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:49 PM

I am aware that there is a number of Mechs out there with 2 or more AMS. AFAIK, the highest a heavy Mech can bring is 2 AMS, correct? I also have a list (possibly outdated) of the existing 2 AMS Mechs, from 2017. The info is a bit further down on the page.

https://mwomercs.com...0-is-ams-boats/

Can anybody more knowledgeable about all those Mechs give me some pointers in regards to which of the heavy Mechs with 2 AMS perform well damage wise / tanking wise? I do not have a preference IS or Clan wise. As far as mediums go, I currently have a Crab 27 I am skilling up, so that works for me for now. I also do not have any MC atm, so suggestions would have to be CBill only.

#2 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:08 PM

Not very familiar with the various heavy mechs but I know mediums have a few options on hand, including a 2ams bushwacker and the 3ams nova model.

#3 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

I already own the 3 AMS Nova. :) But I felt it was not strong enough for combat, which is why I went for the Crab as a good mixture of AMS and combat ability. I already have a Nightstar Assault with 2 AMS and a Light with 3 AMS (Kitfox), so I just need a Heavy. :) Ideally something with decent combat capabilities. :)

And as I have not played any of the Mechs on that list and do not know which ones have come into the game since then, I thought I would ask you lot. :)

#4 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 16 July 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

I am aware that there is a number of Mechs out there with 2 or more AMS. AFAIK, the highest a heavy Mech can bring is 2 AMS, correct? I also have a list (possibly outdated) of the existing 2 AMS Mechs, from 2017. The info is a bit further down on the page.

https://mwomercs.com...0-is-ams-boats/

Can anybody more knowledgeable about all those Mechs give me some pointers in regards to which of the heavy Mechs with 2 AMS perform well damage wise / tanking wise? I do not have a preference IS or Clan wise. As far as mediums go, I currently have a Crab 27 I am skilling up, so that works for me for now. I also do not have any MC atm, so suggestions would have to be CBill only.

The Grasshopper 5J 70Tons has 2ams. I run mine with 4medlaser and 2llaser 320 lfe A very tall mech but has good speed 79 km/h with full sped tweak and 320lfe. In the hands of a good pilot with good positioning and Weapon group managment a fine Mech. I like mine

Here´s the mwo import link / code for my build

Al3220>1|Y?|Y?|Zg|i^|i^pb0|i^|i^|i^|f?qb0|i^|i^|i^|f?r\0|`?|Y?s\0|`?|Y?tg0|NG|aOug0|NGvB0|AOw:0:0:0

Edited by Mighty Spike, 17 July 2018 - 12:49 PM.

#5 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

GHR-5J is... not a strong 'Mech. If you have good results with it, that's more a reflection on you than the machine, which is as tall as an Atlas, with the armor of a 70-tonner, no high hardpoints to compensate for its size, and hitboxes which are rather easy to isolate. If you already (like me) have one, especially the cbill-boosting (and un-sellable) Resistance pack variant, then you might as well use it, but there are about a million and a half reasons to give it a pass if it's not already in your inventory.

A better choice, if you're not opposed to spending MC/$ on the game, would be the Jester- same number of hardpoints (6xE, 2xAMS), but it's only about 2/3 as tall, has all cockpit-level mounts or higher (with two of the mounts in the sides rather than the arms, so arm loss doesn't hurt your alpha as much), and spreads damage better. In my experience, it holds up better under fire despite having lower base armor and only structure quirks, because of the difference in scale and hitboxes. The compactness of the 'Mech also results in better weapon convergence, especially between the 4 torso hardpoints. It's effectively the same 'Mech as the GHR-5J, but with 5 fewer tons... and nearly every other conceivable advantage.

The Black Knight BL-6-KNT is an option also- although it shares many of the GHR-5J's weaknesses (extremely tall, easily-isolated hitboxes, nearly all low mounts, etc), it has more hardpoints to work with, a high base agility for its size, and arms which are better for shielding (and, since it has a bunch of torso hardpoints, losing them doesn't effectively neuter the 'Mech like it does with the GHR-5J).

Another possibility is the Thunderbolt 9S, which offers a little more flexibility with the option for ballistics or missiles (opening up Gauss+vomit or MRMs with backup lasers) rather than pure laservomit. It has fairly weak quirks, but solid geometry. There are a pair of cockpit-level energy points in the RT (great for PPCs or LL/ERLL), loads of torso mounts (again, arm loss doesn't neuter the 'Mech).

For a dual-AMS heavy, I'd go with either Jester or the TDR-9S. Unfortunately, there aren't any great options on the Clan side; the only two on the table are the Summoner, which is generally too short on tonnage to spend 2-3 tons on AMS (although it has some flexibility with hardpoint choice for AMS-equipped builds), and the Sun Spider, which can't take its best builds with both AMS torsos (one of which has no other hardpoints at all).

#6 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:54 AM

Oh jeeez that high hardpoint thingy again^^. but yeah i know clanners cant work without it Posted ImagePosted Image .....I played for 3 years nothing else then Cataphracts in more then 50k matches.and all possible builds-oh wait, one build not. Lurms on the 2 x^^ -
. I dont need high hardpoints or anything else what the people today are asking for. I didnt even had one of the weapon modules that we had before skill tree . I can work with the basic stats of the mech and weapon systems..I dont need all the luxus goodys like high hardpoints Closed beta was a good training grounds for:" be comfort eith what you get "
I didnt say that mech is good. Just said . in the hands of a good pilot a fine mech.

Edited by Mighty Spike, 18 July 2018 - 06:02 AM.

#7 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:09 AM

The BL-6-KNT does a pretty decent job for me as long as you:

-- DO NOT try to hill hump/peak
-- DO NOT try to brawl

The mech is good at corners and running among a group of other mechs.
You have okish armor and struckture but you are quite large and especially vulnerable to concentrated salvos of direct fire wpns.
You are fast and twisty enough to distribute damage when you see it comming in, but your mech needs time to cool down between salvos so med range and running among the pack or corner peaking on engaged mechs is your best bet.

#8 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:24 PM

I am not averse to spending money. If I enjoy a game, I feel it is fair to spend money on it so I can continue enjoying it. Someone has to pay the developers salary.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will take a look at them over the course of the weekend. See what fits my playstyle. :) Any further suggestions are also welcome. :)

#9 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:32 AM

I checked out the different Mechs and the Thunderbolt kinda looks the most like something I could get used to. :) I already have a number of Laser Vomit Mechs, so this would give me a nice change, I hope. :)

***EDIT: Don't currently have the CBills to buy it, but seeing as it is not all that expensive, it should not be a problem to get it soon. :) ***

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 21 July 2018 - 05:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users