New Player Looking For A Unit.

Question Help Me

7 replies to this topic

#1 Kali AllardLiao

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

Okay So I am Sorry to add yet another of these, but most I see have their last post somewhere in 2011-2013. Which I Think means dead chat. And while I recognize that there is a Faction and recruitment section I do see a lot of people stepping in to help new players find Units here and will take my shot.

So I am Dead New to MWO (just started playing last night) and am enjoying it so far but realize that if I don't get people to play/hang out with I will most likely just end up taking my leave.

So I was wondering if there where any active units in 2018 and if they would have me.

A little bit of relevant information to see if you would be interested in me:

1) Mostly a Casual Player but loves Game modes where you have to take over a Continent or a Galaxy.

2) Loves Cooperative Game-play and Teamwork

3) Shoots like a Storm-trooper

4) Has Known and loved MW since Mechwarrior 2: "31st Century Combat" on the ps1 (But has like next to no lore knowledge)

5) Loves Roleplay Elements in Guilds/Companies and the like with a passion

all that being said and done with. I look forward to hearing from and working with y'all.

#2 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:01 PM

Hi Kali. HHoD (Headhunters of Davion) might be a good fit for you. We're a Davion unit, though we're doing a tour of duty as Steiner right now. We're usually Davion Loyalists, but we have done a brief tour as Davion attached Mercenaries. We're Inner Sphere only, so if you're looking to use clanner mechs in faction warfare you'll have to pick a different unit.

You can check out our website at mwo.enjin.com, and you can join our teamspeak at ts3.hhod.com:7345. You don't have to be a member to join the teamspeak and join groups, though if you're brand new you probably want to stick to Quick Play groups instead of Faction Play groups until you have at least 8 mechs built up and ready to go.

As far as game modes where you can take over a continent or galaxy, you're gonna have to manage your expectations on what this game has to offer. Faction Play was supposed to offer that, but what PGI has delivered doesn't really deliver on that feeling. it's mostly just 12 v 12 with different game modes, where each player on each side can use a drop deck of four mechs that respawn when they die. It has a lot of depth and complexity in what mechs you pick, how they work together, and how your team works together, but in the end there's no real persistent world that has any meaning. I still find it a lot of fun though and it's my preferred way to play the game.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 18 July 2018 - 07:39 AM.

#3 Kali AllardLiao

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

I must download Team Speak as this seems to be a running theme. And Yes I have seen your group everywhere on the recruitment type posts. Y'all must be fairly large and importantly: Active. I will definitely be giving y'all a look.

as for my 'mech, no need to worry the Wolverine is my baby~ though I know i need to buy more 'mechs right now I am just building up my wolverine.

#4 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:01 AM

View PostKali AllardLiao, on 17 July 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

So I was wondering if there where any active units in 2018 and if they would have me.
HHOD has been going on for years before MWO (as I understand the unit has its' roots in some of the earliest multiplayer MW games) and is likely going to continue long after it as well.

1) Mostly a Casual Player but loves Game modes where you have to take over a Continent or a Galaxy.
We run both "casual" and "competitive" battallions.

2) Loves Cooperative Game-play and Teamwork
This is what we do, and we have training courses (and training excercises) to get you up to speed.

3) Shoots like a Storm-trooper
You don't want to know how badly I was aiming my first few months in MWO. Posted Image
Aim is a skill you can train - try using the Training Grounds and make it a goal to run through killing all eight dummy mechs as fast as possible, preferably firing on the move. This also makes a good eval for new mech builds.
Solaris, on the other hand, is helpful if you want to try a live-fire excercise against opponents who are actively shooting back. When you see the enemy mech preview there, note the weapons and their placement, then use that to crush your opponent, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their tech crews. Depending on the mech, you will either aim for the main weapons battery, side torso or legs. To me, doing Solaris taught me to do that MUCH more often than before (I tended to just go center-of-mass)

4) Has Known and loved MW since Mechwarrior 2: "31st Century Combat" on the ps1 (But has like next to no lore knowledge)
Sarna.net has a wiki with a lot of helpful material: http://sarna.net/wiki/

View PostKali AllardLiao, on 17 July 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

I must download Team Speak as this seems to be a running theme.
Yeah, pretty much every established unit uses either Teamspeak or Discord.

And Yes I have seen your group everywhere on the recruitment type posts. Y'all must be fairly large and importantly: Active.
Currently around 120 players going by the in-game head count. Attendance times vary, of course, but there's typically at least one group around on evenings and more people on during the weekends. We're also trying to increase our European complement so that we have drop groups covering more time zones.

as for my 'mech, no need to worry the Wolverine is my baby~ though I know i need to buy more 'mechs right now I am just building up my wolverine.
Don't worry about this for now, it always takes a while to bootstrap to a full drop deck (and then a while to bootstrap from a single multi-function deck to multiple decks suitable for different scenarios). If you're ever looking for mech advice, don't hesitate to ask BogGnarr, myself or any of our other trainers - we also have recommended chassis/build lists for Faction Play that you can reference for that.

Edited by Horseman, 18 July 2018 - 01:02 AM.

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:18 AM

If you'd happen to be german, you could join our small mercenary outfit for a few drops and see how it goes down from there. Just call me. We're no racists, btw, it's just the speech barrier is real for some of us. TS is necessary. Cheers!

#6 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:45 AM

Faction Warfare is a deep rabbit hole. Do you take the red or blue pill?

I started during a Faction Event and that is all I did for a long time. I did a lot of Sieges using Trial Mechs.

With the extra matches added to faction, my FW list has gone up to about 26 mechs. Some are for Conquest only etc.

The Units that do Faction well will explain all of this to you. You will have about 60 seconds to change your deck so practice it ( renaming the mechs helped me in this). I learned a lot from the Praetorian Legion and o7 (Bacon)

I'm looking to get back into it and I take a spot from anyone that offers one, lol.

LikeUntoGod LUG) is a Merc and LikeUntoBuddha (Buddha) is in the Wolf Clan.

#7 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

HEY YOU, YEAH YOU! BEHIND YOUR HOLOVID MONITOR.

NO, NOT YOU. YES, YOU!

ANGERFIST IS LOOKING FOR ONLY THE ANGRIEST PILOTS IN ALL OF THE INNER SPHERE. CLANNER? INNER SPHEROID? SOME WEIRD COMBO OF THE TWO? I DON'T CARE!

WE, and by that I mean me, AREA A COLLECTION OF HIGHLY (somewhat)SKILLED MECHWARRIORS FROM ALL OVER THIS CRAPSHOOT OF A GALAXY. WE'RE ANGRY BECAUSE OF SOMETHING, AND WE CHANNEL THAT INTO OUR CONTRACTS.

House Liao wants a Lyran compound destroyed?

WE'LL DO IT WITH

[Redacted]!

Clan Ghost Bear wants us to wreck havoc on the Draconis Combine?

WE'LL PAINT OUR

'MECHS LIKE [Redacted]!

So what are you waiting for? Get Angry, get mean!

Get [Redacted]!

[In an Urbanmech playing a 'Mech-sized guitar and headbanging, there's an exit stage left while the Theme-Song plays]

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 26 July 2018 - 05:42 PM.
inappropriate references, video included inappropriate language

#8 SpeedyRR

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:41 PM

It sounds like you are keen and that enthusiasm will help, one thing that helped me out was using in game coms and asking for help or to join groups when I first started out. Ask for then use the different discord and teamspeak with groups/players. Dropping in groups with other players and being in comms with them helps to work out if you are a fit for their group, and mainly if the group is the right fit for you.
If you want to drop in on the FRR hub teamspeak, address is frrhub.isengrim.org password Dragon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users