Average Life Span Of A Mercenary?

4 replies to this topic

#1 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:26 AM

I was thinking about how much the mechwarriors in Battletech get paid. I think even on the low end they make like 16K a month in a c-bills. Assuming that all other expenses such as food and lodging are provided by the unit. Within a year a low end merc could make $192K. I mean it doesn't account of space inflation. But then there's probably plenty of slightly under developed planets. That are cozy enough and have a favorable cost of living.

The question is how likely is your average MechWarrior mercenary to make it to a year?

There's that qoute that I heard people mention several times. Spare the metal, meat is cheap? Or something to that effect. Which suggests that mechwarrior lives are played with fast and loose.

Edit: I also remember in one book a merc commander told some Clan additions to his unit that everyone gets paid the same. So I guess payment differs.

Edited by MechaBattler, 18 July 2018 - 10:33 AM.

#2 Tetatae Squawkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:27 PM

16K a month sounds really high. I'm pretty sure that was close to the yearly salary for a green mechwarrior in one of the FASA era Merc sourcebooks.

e: Yeah here is the pay table from FM:Mercs. Keep in mind that this is from 1999 so it might be outdated but I'm not going to dig through every sourcebook or errata.
Posted Image

This is base salary and does not include whatever kind of other compensation they might receive.

Edited by Tetatae Squawkins, 18 July 2018 - 01:37 PM.

#3 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:50 AM

Ouch. x.x

Makes you wonder what the cost of living is like. But then there's so many planets..

#4 Tetatae Squawkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:37 AM

I'd think cost of living would vary drastically from planet to planet. Even inside the same realm.

Depending mostly on import/export requirements and the crappiness of the local/planetary/regional/central governments.

#5 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:18 PM

Keep in mind that, aside a from major war occuring, most mercs are pulling garrison duty against bandits, pirates, and raids. A merc pilot might go 5 years and only see 1d6+1 battles, especially in a small or poorly equipped unit that only gets backwater assignments.

Edited by Jonathan8883, 20 July 2018 - 12:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users