Are Clan Lasers Really An Issue?

9 replies to this topic

#1 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:44 PM

I didn't get to spend much time on the PTS so I'm mostly just talking about how the game currently is. I've brought this up in a few threads before but figured this was a good place to actually ask what people think. Do you guys think Clan laser boats are an issue? More specifically the high alpha erml/large combos?

I personally don't think they are all that great. They are very good for peak trading because you can put out a good amount of damage in a short amount of time and then hide. However if somebody gets in your face they don't really have that good of sustained dps. Which I would think would make them balanced. If you want to peak take lasers or ppc or gauss, if you want to brawl or midrange use things like uacs and srms maybe some mpl.

I haven't really noticed clan laser boats dominating in any of the modes. Didn't see much in mrbc, didn't see much in solaris, don't see them a whole lot in scouting, don't see them dominating qp or invasion. As far as I can tell they work, but are not op.

Now I wouldn't be opposed to a rebalance if it was equal part buff and nerf. Something like dropping the damage of the cerml down by 1-1.5 but giving it buffs to match. However if they go to far then it could remove the style of play that lasers currently do.

What do you think? What have you seen that makes you think they are op?

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

My guess is that they kill newbies too quickly. A newbie out in the open getting LRMed by 2 boats will still take 10 seconds to die. With 2 laser vomit mechs at 500 meters? 1.5 seconds.

#3 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

Pretty sure Jarl and Taragato were the ones to champion this issue in the first place via a thread.
Pretty sure thats how the current discussion about laservom op got started.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally I don't fear it nor use it that much, but then again I'm talking solo queue.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 18 July 2018 - 03:26 PM.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

they are good enough to make up at least half of my usual drop deck. if anything they need to break the large-medium gh free synergy and stop nerfing the small end of the spectrum. i dont mind that the large alphas are possible they just shouldnt be free.

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 18 July 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

Pretty sure Jarl and Taragato were the ones to champion this issue in the first place via a thread.

Personally I don't fear it nor use it that much, but then again I'm talking solo queue.

Started way before that. It has been going on since Clans came out, and the debate gained another wind when the Deathstrike was released.

#6 CometArmagon

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:34 AM

"stop nerfing the small end of the spectrum"

best point made.

#7 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:26 AM

View PostCometArmagon, on 19 July 2018 - 07:34 AM, said:

"stop nerfing the small end of the spectrum"

best point made.

Ditto. Small laser nerfs are just salt directed at the nova.

#8 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

Literally everything else except for LRM's have been nerfed into the ground, what makes you think PGI is going to actually buff all those mediocre and under performing weapons that were only OP because of one Mech? I mean, the 2 UAC10/2UAC 5 Kodiak can now be done on at least a few other Clan Mech's in the game. Yet dakka has been trashed. So many faster Mech's without a lot of tonnage can't compete against larger chassis because all of the smaller and heat efficient weapons have been nerfed. SRM's and SPL's have been nerfed into oblivion because a few Mech's could utilize them. It's pathetic.

#9 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:03 AM

Well yes. I tried to play 2 ebon jaguar variants. 9 medpulse and 2ultra10+6ersmall. There is no alternative, laser vomit is always too good to pass. Lasers are too easy to use and if they are so easy then they should have seriously gimped damage to compensate.

Edited by lazorbeamz, 20 July 2018 - 12:05 AM.

#10 IronEleven

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:09 PM

The main issue is that everything that naturally counters clan laser alphas has been nerfed, and LRMs, weapons that encourage poking and hiding even more have been buffed.
  • Torso twisting to take advantage of lasers' beam duration to spread damage
  • Brawling weapons that put heavy pressure on laser vomit's poor heat management
  • PPFLD (Gauss+PPC) that could take full advantage of the short windows where a laser mech is exposed

Dane's video and the Community Balance Proposal (which involved Taragato) weren't intended to (majorly) nerf clan lasers, but to buff weapons and playstyles that have been nerfed to mere shells of their former selves, creating the laser/gaussvom dominance we have today. While it's true that the community balance proposal contained minor clan laser nerfs specifically targeting the main components of laservomit (HLL, ERLL, LPL, ERML) while buffing weapons that got nerfed a little too hard or were never good to begin with, including clan lasers that aren't part of the laservomit meta.

Edited by IronEleven, 20 July 2018 - 02:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users