Please Change Solaris

Balance

9 replies to this topic

#1 Viking Yelling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

Some things I would like done with Solaris:
  • No more than a 1 min Match Window. -- Solaris matches sometimes don't last 2 min and some games can be over by the time the player is shown the enemy mech.
  • Stagger matches for Divisions. -- Staggered match windows allow players to play multiple Divisions in a more consistent method.
  • Divisions should have better separation. -- Division 1 is currently dominated by 3-4 100 ton mechs that don't allow for much of any diversity within the division. Mechs could be grouped by a +/- ton scale.(personal preference) this way, each mech will not fight another mech with a considerably significant more health and firepower. Also possible is matching by greatest attribute, like mobility, flexibility, firepower, ect. In this method mechs would get paired with other mechs with similar play styles making matches more synonymous with the mech they are playing.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:49 AM

View PostViking Yelling, on 24 July 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

No more than a 1 min Match Window. -- Solaris matches sometimes don't last 2 min and some games can be over by the time the player is shown the enemy mech.

Terrible idea. The longer window allows for more players to enter the queue and therefore improves the quality of matchmaking.

Divisions should have better separation. -- Division 1 is currently dominated by 3-4 100 ton mechs that don't allow for much of any diversity within the division. Mechs could be grouped by a +/- ton scale.(personal preference) this way, each mech will not fight another mech with a considerably significant more health and firepower.
Grouping by tonnage alone would be just as bad if not worse.

#3 Alexandros

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 153 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:22 AM

Change something that is not in the game? This is not Solaris games bro. Solaris games consist of 6 divisions (Weight category) (5 viable on this form cause we dont have battle suits) and the arrangemnt is 12 people all for all. This has only the name. Although the effort is extremely respectable to bring this up and running, my opinion after so many matches on both seasons is that it will cause more frustration to entertainment (at least for new people experimenting).

"Over a hundred fighting arenas dot the two continents of Solaris, broken down into weight classes depending on the size of the machines they are certified to fight. Most small towns can only support a Class One or Two arena, while larger urban centers can boast Class Three, Four or even Five arenas. Arenas can host matches between 'Mechs up to their Class restriction, though with the permission of the Solaris Dueling Board they may host "out of class" matches. The entry fee to fight in these arenas is commiserate with their class rating: a Class One might cost 500 C-bills, while a Class Five can cost 2,000 C-bills. Of course, an unlicensed fight can occur anywhere on Solaris, but such matches tend to be organized by criminal gangs and lack any of the regulations or safety measures of licensed bouts.[1][5]

The most famous arenas however are the Class Six or 'Open' Arenas, found exclusively in Solaris City."

That's Solaris main event. What we have here is challedge matches which are also part of the Solaris games but they have another purpose.

Edited by Alexandros, 25 July 2018 - 05:23 AM.

#4 Viking Yelling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

View PostHorseman, on 25 July 2018 - 12:49 AM, said:

Terrible idea. The longer window allows for more players to enter the queue and therefore improves the quality of matchmaking.
Only theoretically true? I mean everyone has the time limit to enter the queue anyway. Also, ive been disadvantaged by mech builds within the division more often that ELO rating.

Grouping by tonnage alone would be just as bad if not worse.

Thank you for providing this without your reasoning.

@Alaxandros
These are mostly just recomendations/suggestions I would like as alternative methods to some of the problems I have experienced playing Solaris 7. Unfortunately, I am not the perverbial "DM." Pgi is, and even with my suggestions there's no reassurance for me that, even if these changes were implimented, they would work 100% to the desired effect. The exact same goes for mych of the decisions that PGI makes in regaurds to their own changes though they probably have more data and knowlege to their credit.

#5 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:49 AM

View PostViking Yelling, on 25 July 2018 - 09:59 AM, said:

Only theoretically true? I mean everyone has the time limit to enter the queue anyway.
The matchmaker is entirely useless when there's only two pilots in the queue, no matter how disparate their skill levels. More players being matched means higher probability of the matchmaker pairing off comparable pilots.

Thank you for providing this without your reasoning.
There's a wide disparity of performance profiles to be found within each tonnage bracket (and sometimes between variants of the same chassis). Isn't that self-evident to you?

#6 Viking Yelling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:07 PM

View PostHorseman, on 25 July 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

The matchmaker is entirely useless when there's only two pilots in the queue, no matter how disparate their skill levels. More players being matched means higher probability of the matchmaker pairing off comparable pilots.

This is a moot point. Having 2 players in a MM queue is still having 2 players in a MM queue. If there's only two players playing in that division at the time, then why wait longer than the match is going to take? Plus if a third shows up, one of you is still getting kicked. Which means that person has to wait even longer.

The only time longer MM queues makes sense is to level for extra players so an odd number doesn't occur or to have one person wait for at least one other to match with. Solaris participation is the only thing that seems to warent longer wait times for queue, but for me the long queue times, coupled with short lopsided matches is exactly why I don't like playing Solaris.

There's a wide disparity of performance profiles to be found within each tonnage bracket (and sometimes between variants of the same chassis). Isn't that self-evident to you?

No, if you read my post, that is acknowledged. Also that the main thing that grouping by tonnage would provide similar armor and structure pools. There are in fact a few flaws with this idea, but you're not hitting on any of them. I also fail to see any creative input from your posts. As I stated these were ideas for improving Solaris 7 for discussion on an open forum. Just throwing up negative feedback while implying that the current Solaris is also bad is paradoxical.

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:36 PM

This is a moot point. Having 2 players in a MM queue is still having 2 players in a MM queue. If there's only two players playing in that division at the time, then why wait longer than the match is going to take? Plus if a third shows up, one of you is still getting kicked. Which means that person has to wait even longer.

You missed the point. Waiting longer gives time for more players to enter queue and reduce the frequency of situations where there's only 2 people queued. With more players in queue, the matchmaker can make better pairings between skill ratings.
That's the entire reason PGI increased it to 2 min in the first place, and the consensus seems to be that the matchmaking improved after that.

Also that the main thing that grouping by tonnage would provide similar armor and structure pools. There are in fact a few flaws with this idea, but you're not hitting on any of them.

Solaris fights aren't won by tanking. Similar tonnage doesn't mean similar firepower, and that's the main flaw I'm pointing at. Tonnage disparities can be overcome with the right builds and properly applied skill (or "skill"; these days you either have a metric ton of overkill or you go for legs and legs alone).

Edited by Horseman, 27 July 2018 - 02:49 PM.

#8 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:27 AM

It seems to me like several of these problems could be solved by just letting players queue for more than one division simultaneously. Just have a set of tickboxes next to the queue button or something. Increases the player pool for the matchmaker and fewer players would be left over waiting for the next two minute cycle.

#9 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

I’d be happy with Solaris in general f they’d make a new division and only have annihilators and ach’s in it.

You say division one is dominated by a few 100-ton machines but I don’t think that’s true...albeit this is coming from someone who runs a 100-ton assault. In order for me to win a match I have to be smarter and more skilled than than whoever I’m fighting...unless it’s an Annihilator. If I beat an annihilator it’s becuase he was playing stupid.

Edited by Makenzie71, 29 July 2018 - 03:03 PM.

#10 Viking Yelling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:50 PM

View PostMakenzie71, on 29 July 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

I’d be happy with Solaris in general f they’d make a new division and only have annihilators and ach’s in it.

You say division one is dominated by a few 100-ton machines but I don’t think that’s true...albeit this is coming from someone who runs a 100-ton assault. In order for me to win a match I have to be smarter and more skilled than than whoever I’m fighting...unless it’s an Annihilator. If I beat an annihilator it’s becuase he was playing stupid.

Thats kinda my point with the MM by mech abilities. If the mech is similar to a direwolf, then other mech might fight that mech in a similar method. The smartest pilot skill wins. At least that the idea.

I cant do diddly in tier 1 with my Victor. everyone's a 100 ton mech and there's no point using a mech designed more for field strategy than raw firepower in that competition.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users