group play playing with friends Question groupplay

11 replies to this topic

#1 Omedave

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:32 AM

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get my friends into playing Mechwarrior Online. But I can't seem to get any luck with starting a Quick Play match when I start a search for a lobby while in Group play.

I meet the required tonnage. Everyone is ready. The search starts, and nothing happens. It just keeps searching. I have left it searching for sometimes up to 5 minutes.

My friends are skeptical about the game and I am trying to get them excited for it. This isnt helping. Am I doing anything wrong?

#2 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:08 AM

When are you playing?

#3 Omedave

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

Around 13:00 here in The Netherlands (GMT +1 I believe)

#4 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

That's a pretty low ebb for activity on the NA side and probably not peak hours for EU if I'm guessing. Sorry, don't know why it's taking you five minutes, but I'd contact support@mwomercs.com if you think it might be a technical issue.

That being said, it might merely be a symptom of the lower population during that timeframe and it might be taking that long to match you up with a properly mixed 12 v 12.

#5 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:07 AM

[mod]I've moved this thread to "New Players Help".[/mod]

#6 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,589 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:20 AM

View PostOmedave, on 28 July 2018 - 07:32 AM, said:

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get my friends into playing Mechwarrior Online. But I can't seem to get any luck with starting a Quick Play match when I start a search for a lobby while in Group play.

I meet the required tonnage. Everyone is ready. The search starts, and nothing happens. It just keeps searching. I have left it searching for sometimes up to 5 minutes.

My friends are skeptical about the game and I am trying to get them excited for it. This isnt helping. Am I doing anything wrong?

Hi Guys,

Hm, if you dont find a match, you can otherwise:
To show your friends a bit of the game,open a private Lobby and play against each other.when you dont find a match.
Good to show them the Basics. Make a private Lobby, invite your friends to the lobby set up the options. Map, time time, tonnage etc.. , you can drag and drop your friends to your team or enemy team.
To play quickplay matches is best to set the Server search to EU and NA.

Edited by Mighty Spike, 29 July 2018 - 04:32 AM.

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:17 AM

Hi Guys,

Matchmaking speed depends on group sizes. My best guess is that the matchmaker only uses small groups to pad out larger groups and never tries to build a match out of only smaller groups.

Try having 4+ people in your group - or you can use the private lobby option for a private match with your friends and nobody else.

Edited by Horseman, 29 July 2018 - 05:18 AM.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:22 AM

How many friends you running a group with? If you've four or less you could try scouting matches to ease in for quicker match times. 4 v 4, and if you stick together you'll do okay against pugs. It'll be rough against another group, but that'd happen with group queue as well.

~Leone.

#9 Tomahawkpipe

Rookie

• The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:36 AM

It's getting so old to hear it all blamed on what time of day it is. Just fix it?! I've attempted the same thing trying to get my friends on, but they're all not going to come rushing to the game, when a small group of just 2 or 3 sit and wait for an infinite amount of time (and it seems regardless of time frame it happens), and the only solutions seem to be blame the time of day, or make a bigger group. In the meantime smaller groups are just getting jaded and calling it quits. This is a stupid thing to drive people away. We already spend crazy amounts of time staring at a Searching screen, where the computer is totally locked out of doing anything else in the game (why isn't chatting globally an option or working on side mechs while we wait available?). So far 10 am eastern time, 4 pm eastern time, 10 pm eastern time, 2 and 3 man groups I've been in have sat collective for just under 2 hours waiting for a stupid match! Killing the idea of small groups one match at a time.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:08 PM

It is a combination of several factors. Overall population size play at a specific time of day, how much of said population is actually playing the Group queue, as there tons of queues from lots in Solaris, Solo queue and the ability to select a specific server and Faction Play with its Invasion or Scout mode.

There is no clear cut answer to an immediate fix, only ways to help reduce it, possible solutions, even if just temporary
  • Solaris - Player selects mechs and which Tiers he wants to drop in so a player does not have to bounce around from one tier to another attempting to find a match.
  • Allow Solo players to opt into group queue with a max of 3 per side.
  • Allow duos into the Solo queue
    • Duo are able to opt into Solo but can not opt out of Group. DC/suicide/dying early duo are locked out of dropping into another game until that match has been completed, even if they disband the group.
    • ONLY 1 duo per side and taking highest tier of the pair
    • Duos have to take different weight classes
  • Faction Play... needs lots of work, including minimizing outstanding tech differences with out engines are handled with the 1st side torso is destroyed, among other things.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 09 December 2018 - 02:10 PM.

#11 Mad Dok

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

hey guys,

seems like nobody cares for the problems with quick play as group with some friends. i tried playing with a group of 2 (me and a friend) for many times and many minutes, sometimes we searched for 10-15 minutes without any reaction. i can' t understand why 2 people can't find a group/ match with other players when timeframe and location of the servers can't be an issue because there have to be enough players online at the weekend on saturday and sunday afternoon. we're almost in the same tier ranking (2) Posted Image
(north american, oceanic and europe servers selected)

when each of us starts searching solo quick play everyone is able to find a match after seconds or max. 2-3 minutes. Posted Image

other games like world of tanks are able to handle such things... sad for MWO. because it's a lot of more fun to play with friends even if thats just 2 or 3 guys.

this problem is already known since a year where players exactly talk about this in public.
is there an reasonable issue to ignore such annoying problems in the game?
i guess some programmer should be able to fix that... can't imagine it is that hard.

think about:
maybe the focus should be more on working with known problems/bugs instead of bringing constantly new contents and old things have low priority.

i really would like playing the game-mode 'quick play' with friends of small groups Posted Image

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

Lot of factors involved including multiple different queues. And to be fair, forming up a group is not a requirement to play the game, thus solo queue is the most popular.

See below, group size, the population in the group queue is affected by time of day as well as how long they are willing to wait for a drop. And once players have been bitten by the not-getting-a-group-drop-today bug, fewer players group up. And obviously there aren't 12x 2-man attempting to drop at the same time. Nor is there anything to indicate if anyone is actually queue'd up in the group queue.

Population and tons of different and separate queues. And group queue does not have any solo pugs to "fill" in the spots.

Group size requirements and this is for BOTH sides..... And PSR is out the door after 30secs.

12-man makes up one side, then only need the other 12-man to be matched up, or a combination of the following....
10-man requires a 2-man
9-man requires 3-man
8-man requires 4-man or 2x2-man
7-man requires 5-man or 3+2-man
6-man requires 6-man, 4+2-man or 3x2-man or 2x3-man
5-man requires 7-man, 5+2-man, 3-man+2x2-man
4-man requires 8-man, or 6+2-man, or 5+3-man or 2x4-man or 4x2-man
3-man requires 9-man, or 7+2-man, or 6+3-man, or 5+4-man, or 5+2x2-man, or 3+3x2-man
2-man...etc...

And the above has to be done for BOTH sides, which is the reason many suggest dropping in a larger group, to be less of a gap filler. Of course, it would also mean that there are not 12 2-man dropping at the same time, there is no actual incentive, and once it is attempted a few times one who is less enthusiasm about MWO then stops playing. A vicious cycle.

Would allowing solo pugs (max 3 per side) and/or 2-man to opt into the other queue without opt out of their default queue help? Go with the solo pugs into group first, may allow for fillers but until there is something else in place to actually encourage players forming up teams for other than FP, I do not see it changing too much. Maybe reduce the max group size for the teams down to 8-man.

/shrugs....

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 24 August 2019 - 02:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users