Why Nerf Pulse, Small And Heavy Medium Lasers?

3 replies to this topic

#1 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:12 AM

The problem is cERML, Heavy Large and to some extent cERLL (also cGauss). Why? Because of the effective damage (damage/duration) and range to weight ratio. HLL duration is long but the damage is so high and the weight is so low that it doesn't matter. ERML does 7 damage per ton with 460m optimal range, that's just bananas. Nerfing those is reasonable.

BUT

Pulse lasers are heavy
Heavy medium has long duration, shorter range and lower GH cap
Smalls have very short range

So why nerf them?

Edited by kapusta11, 29 July 2018 - 07:13 AM.

#2 Hiten Bongz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 228 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:34 PM

cMPL weighs 2x that of cERML yet PGI is trying to turn it into the same weapon regardless of tonnage. On the live server it's already barely worth it over cERML, and that's only if you have tonnage to spare...it does NOT need nerfs.

cHML is already pretty bad too...why is it getting nerfed?

Smalls definitely need little buffs, not nerfs...

In fact Clan laser damage isn't even a problem IMO, it's all the no-heat PPFLD Gauss rifles that are more of an issue (well, definitely more so than lasers).

Edited by Hiten Bongz, 31 July 2018 - 05:38 PM.

#3 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:41 AM

All they needed to do was:

6 damage CERML and 16-17 damage HLL with cooldown, duration, heat adjusted accordingly.
-AND-
12-13 damage clan gauss with faster rate of fire and increased range. No reticle shake.

Those are the problem weapons.

"but clan gauss should do 15 damage waa waa waa"

no it really shouldnt. just like CERPPC shouldnt do 15 PPFLD damage.

because it weighs a lot less than its IS counterpart.

Edited by Khobai, 01 August 2018 - 11:42 AM.

#4 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:33 PM

I agree. And I think they missed a bit of opportunity. The C-ER Medium should have been compensated with better heat efficiency. Making it a good option for lights and mediums that can't always afford to stack dubs. The lower damage would have kept it from being too abused on the high end. Meanwhile the ER-LL damage reduction combined with raising GH to 3 places it solidly as a heavy to assault weapon.

I actually felt the pulse weapons were fine during the first iteration of the PTS. I have no comment on Gauss. But small lasers in general are in a weird place. Makes me wish they would rethink them a bit. They should be light knife fighting weapons. But they're just kind ehhh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users