Suddenly No Sound

2 replies to this topic

#1 Finnigan

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:26 AM

So as of a few days ago, there is absolutely no sound in game. Not on the startup logos, no music in the mechbay or sound effects, nothing in a drop, zip, zero, nada.

I've tried disabling/enabling the exclusivity settings on my sound to no avail. I found an earlier thread with the same issue in which the problem was remedied like that, but there was also something about the Omicron file in the logs, this is what mine says:

<12:17:53> Sound initialization
<12:17:53> <Sound> Initializing AudioDevice now!
<12:17:53> <Sound> Initialize FMOD with dynamic memory callbacks
<12:17:53> <Sound> Starting to initialize Windows Audio Session API output!
<12:17:53> <Sound> Playback drivers found: 1
<12:17:53> <Sound> Available playback drivers:
1. Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
<12:17:53> <Sound> FmodEx-AudioDevice: Now running on driver: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
<12:17:53> <Sound> Record drivers found: 1
<12:17:53> <Sound> Available record drivers:
1. Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)
<12:17:53> <Sound> Record config is set to autodetect using record driver 0
<12:17:53> <Sound> Using speaker mode: FMOD_SPEAKERMODE_7POINT1
<12:17:53> <Sound> Initializing FMOD-EX now!
<12:17:53> <Sound> Error: Cannot initialize SoundSystem!
<12:17:53> [Error] <Sound> Couldnt create the sound system interface
<12:17:53> <Sound> Using DummySoundSystem now!
<12:17:53> Renderer initialization
<12:17:53> [Error] Failed to create stereo device
<12:17:54> used GeomInstancingThreshold is 8

I'm running Realtek Audio HD on Windows 10 with the latest drivers.... but I know how sucky Win10 is with drivers, any help would be much appreciated!

#2 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:37 AM

assuming you've got the proper version of the sound manager installed, open it up, find the button that opens the advanced settings, it may be located on the top right hand side, next to minimize / close, in the middle of that popup menu, should be options for 'playback device', try changing the mode, which will software reset the chip, and then flicking it back to its normal mode

do you have a front headphone connector on that case ? I've seen instances where 'dust bunnies' sitting over the AAFP port can make enough of an electrical connection to cause strange issues ...

beyond that, windows 10 can have multiple volume levels, and its completely possible to accidentally mute one app, without affecting the others

your best bet in relation to drivers, is to start with what the manufacturer offers for the motherboard, and try upgrading from there ... in my experience, I've found that not all driver versions work well in all scenarios ...

are you actually using a 7.1 channel setup ?

#3 Finnigan

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:12 AM

I think the version I'm using is specific to my laptop's make - it's and MSI GP62 7QF Leopard Pro - as the Realtek HD Audio Manager seems customised with the MSI logo. I don't appear to have an option for advanced settings.

I don't think dust bunnies are an issue as it's all internal, I've checked the volume levels on MWO and it's on maximum. I'll try rolling back the drivers, but apparently these latest ones are from 19/12/2017....

I'm not using a 7.1 setup at all actually, just laptop speakers.

Thank you for the swift reply!

----EDIT----

I tried simply disabling and the re-enabling the playback device to try to emulate what you were saying about changing the mode and it seems to have worked, I now have sound back. Weird.

Edited by Finnigan, 30 July 2018 - 06:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users