78 replies to this topic

#1 0Carbon0

• PipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 32 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationDERP Community PR Officer

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:05 AM

Before the LURM patch, I used to get matches until 5AM EST constantly in the group queue. Now, I can wait an hour in the queue for nothing.

I don't really care about the LURM buff, but its obviously having a negative effect on the population. PGI needs to do something about this.

Posted Image

#2 A Headless Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 273 posts
  • LocationImmersed in Stupid.

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:35 AM

The game isn't dying, it's in the best state of balance it has ever been in for a long time!

#3 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:53 AM

View Post0Carbon0, on 02 August 2018 - 01:05 AM, said:

Before the LURM patch, I used to get matches until 5AM EST constantly in the group queue. Now, I can wait an hour in the queue for nothing. I don't really care about the LURM buff, but its obviously having a negative effect on the population. PGI needs to do something about this. Posted Image

This is how it appears on Google Trends, which can be regarded as an indicator of interest.

Posted Image

#4 Composite Armour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:58 AM

I'd much rather lose braincells by going out and replacing the water content of body with **** alcohol instead of reading about the "balance" changes that each patch brings.

It would be more fun to sit in a bathtub full of salt in the middle of Australia and bottle myself twice rather than spectate the builds and gameplay of "tier 1" players.

#5 Pelmeshek

• 2,256 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:02 AM

Posted Image

#6 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:03 AM

no really Evolution, ideas and targets and content since 5 years ...its a ship with to many leaks, a captain thats set the course by the loughest crys passengers ,nothing experience and not enough crewmember ...the ship is not sinking and not driving ...more a holding over the waterline ...and now many working by a new Game

best example ...MW5 and of the PGI MW5 website the newest News is ,thats its testing by the Mechcon 2017 !!!!!!

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 02 August 2018 - 02:06 AM.

#7 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:12 AM

Nothing lasts forever.

This is especially true in the video game world. New games come out, new fads hit (like Battle Royale), and older games (this one about 6 years old) will have less and less active players as people move on to newer and different games.

It isn't dead though and it probably won't be for quite a long time, so enjoy the game while it is alive.

#8 Lunaya

• PipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:26 AM

I wanted to make a large constructive post about the dying of MWO which pains me for a few reasons but a large post won't be anything but ignored. Instead I'll simply say will agreeing with a few who posted before break that really the balance team is to blame. And those who hold the shackles over how one should hold a community manager.

Nerf after nerf hurts any game, telling the community that, when a chunk puts an idea forward the are wasting their time because 99% will be ignored will hurt the game, their is more I'll go into later be if you wish, I'll want to dig up a lot of sources of bad behavior. I don't want to punish for one mistake, for that is human, but for many mistakes that become foley and error towards I've playerbase and community.

I'm sad that the Vapor Eagle got announced because I would have been a year ago pre-order that mech, is a personal favorite, but better ideas of the PTS and what had been put into live, I can not reasonably back PGI in their alledged goals for MWO and MechWarrior as a franchise. They've killed this game with nerf after nerf and overpriced mechpacks put out monthly.

Behaviors of the mods who look over this forum and shackles put upon the community as a whole. Business decisions that could been better thought out and planned, this whole game and even MW5 feel like will be a mess. With the handling of MWO I can't see myself putting money into MW5, let alone another mech for NWO.

#9 Guile Votoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:02 AM

The game is dying because of the ineptitude of the developers who are unable to untangle the mess they've coded themselves into while being too arrogant to admit mistakes or accepting help and criticism from the community.

#10 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:11 AM

It's the inevitable result of five successive years of minimal investment in actual gameplay and content, lack of concern for product quality, and design decisions driven by developer goals instead of player/customer goals.

This is what happens to any business that over-promises, under-delivers, and focuses on gouging its customers instead of fulfilling their dreams.

Edited by Appogee, 02 August 2018 - 03:12 AM.

#11 IronEleven

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:16 AM

People have had enough of PGI claiming that they're listening to our concerns, yet turning around and doing the exact same things they've been doing for years.

Edit: Detailed post on why I've lost interest in this game can be found here.

Edited by IronEleven, 02 August 2018 - 03:18 AM.

#12 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:16 AM

View PostGuile Votoms, on 02 August 2018 - 03:02 AM, said:

The game is dying because of the ineptitude of the developers who are unable to untangle the mess they've coded themselves into while being too arrogant to admit mistakes or accepting help and criticism from the community.

We're about to go into another round of being seen to obtain customer input. Those of us who've played this shell game before know that the community will offer great ideas, reassuring words will be offered ... and then PGI will do very little, most of it quite different to what was asked for.

But Mech Packs will keep coming. Not maps, not a PSR reset, or the reworking of FP into an enduring end-game.

The fact that this latest round of "community input" was announced on the same day as a new Mech Pack is no coincidence. PGI only seem to appear like they care about the community when they've got something new to sell.

Edited by Appogee, 02 August 2018 - 03:25 AM.

#13 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:31 AM

Yeah LRMs.

Far more people loathe this fun crippling disaster of weapon design than enjoy it. For everyone that played the game for years and then left there must be thousands that played for a few days and couldn't believe how frikin annoying these things were.

I feel like I've been saying that for years though. Its just that PGI have been announcing once again that they don't actually understand what it is that makes their game good. They appear to be dead-set on derailing it with nerfs and coddling unskilled play.

#14 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:46 AM

PGI, reacts to game breaking issues slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter. They needed to get there finger on the pulse of a majority of there customer base and adapt to it quickly. I'll give an example Long Tom, basically everyone i ever played with said it was cancer and they knew within a couple weeks it was cancer. It took PGI losing pretty much the entire Faction Play population to change it. That says it all, every change they make either is broken or takes 3 months to long to correct.

#15 Lt Blackthorn

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:11 AM

Why is the game dying?

SMACKS LIPS

Balance and the people behind it. They have ruined match quality by buffing obnoxious lock-on weapons, lowering the skill gap, killing play styles, hamstringing mobility, and generally making the game un-fun to play for anyone who can walk and breathe at the same time or doesn't have an overwhelming urge to eat paste.

#16 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:11 AM

Because PGI killed it.

#17 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:12 AM

View Postjjm1, on 02 August 2018 - 03:31 AM, said:

Yeah LRMs. ... Its just that PGI have been announcing once again that they don't actually understand what it is that makes their game good. They appear to be dead-set on derailing it with nerfs and coddling unskilled play.

Yeah, I don't think it's the LRMs that are causing people to sign off. I think it's that this patch was so bone-headed, so much the opposite of what experienced players wanted, that many finally lost all hope and just walked away.

I'm as diehard a Mechwarrior as they come. I've sunk a four figure sum into this game. But I won't play QP at all now because the matchmaking is just so bad. I still like FP, but I have to force myself not to disconnect when I get stuck in a FP match on Polar with an enemy team intent on LRM-NARCing.

It's not the LRMs, per se. It's just awful, boring, low-skill gameplay.

Edited by Appogee, 02 August 2018 - 04:14 AM.

#18 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:22 AM

View PostAppogee, on 02 August 2018 - 04:12 AM, said:

It's not the LRMs, per se. It's just awful, boring, low-skill gameplay.

Why I ONLY play in a premade in CW to avoid just that.

I KNOW our team will play our best unless we dropping a fun deck, like 2-3 Urbies each, and still win cause the enemy is playing QP w/respawn.

#19 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:25 AM

View PostLt Blackthorn, on 02 August 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

Why is the game dying?
SMACKS LIPS
Balance and the people behind it. They have ruined match quality by buffing obnoxious lock-on weapons, lowering the skill gap, killing play styles, hamstringing mobility, and generally making the game un-fun to play for anyone who can walk and breathe at the same time or doesn't have an overwhelming urge to eat paste.

Umm no. The game has been dying since the introduction of Clan mechs. They inherently cannot be balanced. When LRMs and non-energy based weapons were good, the game was at its peak and was going in the right direction. Once they started going towards esports and more of a traditional FPS, that is what made MWO stared to fail.

If PGI buffed LRMs, SRMs and ballistic weapons, Id play again.

Edited by mogs01gt, 02 August 2018 - 04:26 AM.

#20 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:30 AM

F2P games have higher churn than even other MMO. They need heavy new player influx to keep up or expand numbers and MWO has no marketing. Where was the big influx? Solaris launch attention and more importantly the HBS BattleTech game.

Otherwise it's casual WOM and background BT/MW fans who for some reason or other haven't played yet. I joined last year after warily staying away from the game for its early problems. Ultimately picked it up for something to do while recovering from a broken ankle car accident, liked it enough to keep playing.

PGI has obviously made the decision to keep their head down and push resources for launching MW5.

Edited by SmokedJag, 02 August 2018 - 04:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users