Deathstrike Overperforming?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:08 AM

Note, I'm not necessarily convinced the Deathstrike is out of line with the Annihilator being on-tap for the IS, but if the entire alpha-strike problem is being instigated by the Deathstrike, why are we not looking at the Deathstrike?

It would seem to me that removing one energy hardpoint on the Deathstrike so that it now has 2x Ballistic and 5x Energy would fix whatever perceived problem there is by compelling increased trade-offs for its alpha strike.

The current meta build is 2x cERLL + 6x cERML + 2x cGauss for 80 alpha and 48.8 heat at 63 kph and 1.35 s max duration.

If we cut out one energy hardpoint, and make no other changes to weaponry or equipment, we have to choose from the following:

2x cERLL + 3x cERML + 2x cGauss for 73 alpha at 42.5 heat and 63 kph and 1.35 s max duration.

2x cHLL + 3x cERML + 2x cGauss for 87 alpha at 52.9 heat and 59.4 kph and 1.55 s max duration.

2x cLPL + 3x cERML + 2x cGauss for 75 alpha at 40.9 heat and 60.3 kph and 1.25 s max duration.

...and everything below that caps out at 65-70, which the IS can match on several assaults in that range bracket, including (but not limited to):

FNR-5B:

5x ERML + 2x HGauss for 75 alpha (~65 @ 360 m/410 m after skills) at 26.5 heat and 50.2 kph and 0.9 s max duration.

3x LL + 2x ERML + 2x Gauss for 67 alpha at 32 heat and 51 kph and 1.1 s max duration.

BNC-3S:

3x LL + 5x ERML + 1x Gauss for 67 alpha at 44.5 heat and 55.4 kph and 1.1 s max duration.

2x LL + 5x ERML + 1x HGauss for 68 alpha (~63 @ 360/410 m) at 38.5 heat and 55.4 kph and 1.1 s max duration.

ANH-1X:

7x ERML + 2x HGauss for 85 alpha (~75 @ 360/410 m) at 39.10 heat (w/ ghost) and 48.6 kph and 0.9 s max duration.

2x LL + 5x ERML + 2x Gauss for 73 alpha at 38.5 heat and 48.6 kph and 1.1 s max duration.

No negative quirks needed. No mutilation of agility needed. No reduction of performance on lighter Clan 'Mechs (or any other Clan 'Mechs at all) needed. The Clan 'Mech is still considerably faster and has sustained output comparable to the HGauss builds and superior to the IS Gauss builds. Still has overall superior range. We might even gain some justification to increase agility on the Clan option to further enforce the Clan = fast + fragile, IS = slow + durable. It also compels more reason to take the DWF, because it alone will have the hardpoints necessary to hit that magical 94+ points at 400+ meters which it honestly needs to justify its existence.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 04 August 2018 - 10:17 AM.

#2 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:40 AM

Sorry, but as medium mech player I think that even an alpha of 60+ at range is way too much regardless if it's coming from an IS or Clan mech.

In the current meta environment It's even now possible for mechs like Annihilator with double HGauss and laser backup to oneshot heavier medium mechs with almost pinpoint damage. Beside medium mechs with broken hitboxes like Assassin there is almost no reason anymore to bring medium mechs or lighter heavy mechs. While light mechs (and some 40-45 ton medium mechs) are fast enough to "evade", heavier medium mechs or heavy mechs are not.

If we don't want to call this game "Assault Mechs: Online" , we need to reduce alpha strike especially of assault mechs.

Either we boost all lighter mechs with insane armor and weapon quirks (and I mean like + 30 armor on every part and 30% weapon cooldown and less heat) or we find a way to reduce alpha strike damage.

Edited by xe N on, 05 August 2018 - 12:41 AM.

#3 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:43 AM

I think 100 assault mechs should pose a danger to medium mechs

After all, their the biggest mechs in the game and medium mechs are the second lightest class so it kinda makes sense to me.

#4 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:21 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 05 August 2018 - 01:43 AM, said:

I think 100 assault mechs should pose a danger to medium mechs

After all, their the biggest mechs in the game and medium mechs are the second lightest class so it kinda makes sense to me.

Any mech should pose danger to any mech if they are in the right position or using their strength. Otherwise you wouldn't need any other mechs than 100 ton.

Edited by xe N on, 05 August 2018 - 04:24 AM.

#5 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:20 AM

Yeah but not all 100 ton mech pilots are created equal.
Seen plenty get sub 100 damage.
Match maker needs a small tweak before you balance

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 05 August 2018 - 07:20 AM.

#6 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:47 PM

View Postxe N on, on 05 August 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Sorry, but as medium mech player I think that even an alpha of 60+ at range is way too much regardless if it's coming from an IS or Clan mech.

Strongly disagree. Even back in 2015, when burns were shorter and more damage-dense than today, Mediums were quite strong and served very well at all levels of play.

If there is a problem with Mediums today, it's not at all because of alpha strikes. If 50 PPFLD were still dominating, I would say yes there is an issue, but it's not because it's dead.

#7 PobbestGob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

View Postxe N on, on 05 August 2018 - 04:21 AM, said:

Any mech should pose danger to any mech if they are in the right position or using their strength. Otherwise you wouldn't need any other mechs than 100 ton.

they already do. a light or medium mech using its strength of faster positioning with map awareness (which any good light pilot should have) has plenty of advantages for flanking heavier mechs, getting behind them, or hiding among their team so the enemy targets their heavier, scarier allies. it should be no surprise that a light or medium mech shouldn't stand in front of an enemy 2-5 times heavier than it and expect to hold its own.

#8 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:59 AM

I don't see big problems... normally a good hit from an assault should pulverize a light and cripple a medium. It's just too easy to do the hit at 600m... if the reticle or the beam would go up and down like most mech moves, it would spread damage more and we would miss more often.

Beside, two light are killing an assault easily. So it's not a problem anyway.

The problem is not enough reward for scouting, capping, tagging, backstab hit and flanking. The job of light mech.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 06 August 2018 - 09:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users