Fp Matchmaking A Great Way To Turn People Off

51 replies to this topic

#1 hgbek

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:30 PM

Hope you are listening PGI because the way the FP is working for the solo player is certain death through frustration right now. I have had many games where the matchmaker saw fit to put a pre-made team of 5 to even 11 mechs against a group of pugs and naturally the pugs get stomped. To be precise, the Kurita side seems to be dominated by groups and the Davion side is mostly pugs. And guess what, Kurita is way ahead.

Sure you will get a lot of players doing their thing and enduring the matchmaker BS because of the rewards. But once the rewards are gone, so will they. Is that really your end-goal?

#2 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:33 PM

... there is no matchmaker. Find a group.

#3 hgbek

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:40 PM

Then you will need to help new players find a group.

#4 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:43 PM

View Posthgbek, on 04 August 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

Then you will need to help new players find a group.

Thats right.

I saw you in LFG and really wanted to pick you up, but the group was full again too fast.

I always pick some LFG guys up, this time we both missed close Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Six, 04 August 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#5 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:21 PM

Scouting counts for the event. One can easily accomplish the daily goals without the need for large premades in that way.

You have options available to you.

Edited by Spheroid, 04 August 2018 - 02:22 PM.

#6 hgbek

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:07 PM

Again, that there are options to complete events is not the issue here. The point I am trying to make is that right now the FP is not encouraging to casual / new players to keep on doing FP once the events are over. I guess PGI put a lot of effort into making FP so effectively limiting it to an "elite" group of high end coordinated teams seems wasteful.

When you are on the Kurita side, things are going just fine, but I encourage you to think beyond your own faction. Nobody who loves Battletech is helped by turning off new and casual players from something that could potentially be a very nice game mode.

@Bishop Six, thanks I appreciate that.

Right now FP has the same sorry state that QP had a couple of years back, before they got the match making working decently

Edited by hgbek, 04 August 2018 - 10:13 PM.

#7 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:47 PM

Before joining FP, there is a window that tells you that FP is not for casual players, it's for hardcore, coordinated players.

#8 hgbek

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:34 PM

Ok, I guess I missed that window because it doesn't pop up anymore. If that's the goal then PGI is certainly achieving that. Too bad for us casuals.

But then again, do the hardcore crowd really need the, for them relatively meager, rewards that are offered? I was genuinely convinced that PGI put this event out to get more players into FP.

#9 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:55 AM

View Posthgbek, on 04 August 2018 - 11:34 PM, said:

Ok, I guess I missed that window because it doesn't pop up anymore. If that's the goal then PGI is certainly achieving that. Too bad for us casuals.

But then again, do the hardcore crowd really need the, for them relatively meager, rewards that are offered? I was genuinely convinced that PGI put this event out to get more players into FP.

You are right and some of us "veterans" are working on to implement newer players in FP.

I see you are Holländer! So we have the same time zone. Feel free to add me as friend ingame, so i will take you with me! I do daily FP and always build a group. But be aware: I almost taking everybody with me, so my group is more the "normal" skilled one and we are facing the good ones. But nevertheless i have a W/L ratio of 2.75, so i guess we are doing fine with our "mixed group" and beginners can learn here the one or two things :)

And best thing, all this is done with my famous german accent!

"Call Ze tarrgets!"
"When I zay Pusch, i want to zee yu movink!"
"Ze enemy is komming overr the flankz, watsch out!"
:)

#10 UnKnownPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:58 AM

https://www.reddit.c...coming_edition/

There is a list of the common TS hubs, most groups will be on there and will take new players if you pop in and ask them.
Yes it sucks that you have to go through 3rd party providers to enjoy the game properly and yes PGI could do with linking to the community information more, just put a disclaimer in front of it.
They could honestly do more to provide community voice comms themselves and link this to player to allow pre-match coordination but that's a drum we have been beating for a long time.

#11 hgbek

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 August 2018 - 05:40 AM

View PostBishop Six, on 05 August 2018 - 12:55 AM, said:

You are right and some of us "veterans" are working on to implement newer players in FP.

I see you are Holländer! So we have the same time zone. Feel free to add me as friend ingame, so i will take you with me! I do daily FP and always build a group. But be aware: I almost taking everybody with me, so my group is more the "normal" skilled one and we are facing the good ones. But nevertheless i have a W/L ratio of 2.75, so i guess we are doing fine with our "mixed group" and beginners can learn here the one or two things Posted Image

And best thing, all this is done with my famous german accent!

"Call Ze tarrgets!"
"When I zay Pusch, i want to zee yu movink!"
"Ze enemy is komming overr the flankz, watsch out!"
Posted Image

Hi Bishop,
Sent you a friend request in game (Bishop Six) so hit me up tonight. Might be fun not to get stomped for a change :-)
H

#12 Hanky Spam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:03 AM

View Posthgbek, on 04 August 2018 - 12:30 PM, said:

Hope you are listening PGI because the way the FP is working for the solo player is certain death through frustration right now. I have had many games where the matchmaker saw fit to put a pre-made team of 5 to even 11 mechs against a group of pugs and naturally the pugs get stomped. To be precise, the Kurita side seems to be dominated by groups and the Davion side is mostly pugs. And guess what, Kurita is way ahead.

Sure you will get a lot of players doing their thing and enduring the matchmaker BS because of the rewards. But once the rewards are gone, so will they. Is that really your end-goal?

FP doesn't have a matchmaker, as it was alreay stated here in this thread.
The FP population is also way too low to introduce a matchmaker and this is a problem since FP does exists.

Population wise it just got even worse over the last 2-3 years...

PGI just never put any real effort into making it easier for new players to get into FP.
That's why I also wouldn't recommend to any QP-only player to start with FP if you haven't played at least 250 QP matches.

Let's be honest, there is quite a good number of weekend-mechwarrior daddies out there, that just want to have some fun (their definition of fun) without being seal clubbed too much. Understandable , but such players should better try to work on their skills than on mechwarrior lore builds and lrms if they wanna start competing with yet better players.

Also it makes the first steps easier in faction play if you join and/or drop with a FP unit.

#13 Hanky Spam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:10 AM

I did get this window on my 2018 alt-account. So you must have acknowledged sometime in the past this window already, that's why it didn't pop up.

#14 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:46 AM

View PostHanky Spam, on 05 August 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

I did get this window on my 2018 alt-account. So you must have acknowledged sometime in the past this window already, that's why it didn't pop up.

PGI should allow it to refresh itself every 7 days or every 30 days, simply as a reminder.

#15 Hanky Spam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:24 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 05 August 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

PGI should allow it to refresh itself every 7 days or every 30 days, simply as a reminder.

Good idea
However, I think we'll also need the possibility to toggle off this message in settings.

#16 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:58 AM

We dont play for rewards, we play for control of the inner sphere.

If your there to play for rewards then you will get the rolfstomp you deserve.

#17 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

View Posthgbek, on 04 August 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

Again, that there are options to complete events is not the issue here. The point I am trying to make is that right now the FP is not encouraging to casual / new players to keep on doing FP once the events are over. I guess PGI put a lot of effort into making FP so effectively limiting it to an "elite" group of high end coordinated teams seems wasteful.

When you are on the Kurita side, things are going just fine, but I encourage you to think beyond your own faction. Nobody who loves Battletech is helped by turning off new and casual players from something that could potentially be a very nice game mode.

@Bishop Six, thanks I appreciate that.

Right now FP has the same sorry state that QP had a couple of years back, before they got the match making working decently

FP is basically an open RVR mode, and exactly like any FFA mode level 1 noobs don't go to lvl 80 playfields. What FP suffers from is the lack of million players making the minority of skill populate FP. Instead we get loads of people to play with and against that cannot even get the games basics right. And no matchmaker or game mode ever can fix this.

Edited by Lily from animove, 07 August 2018 - 12:44 AM.

#18 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

View Posthgbek, on 04 August 2018 - 12:30 PM, said:

FW is not for casual gaming, there are multiple posts on these fourms that link big TS and Disscord hubs for you to find a group. If youre not inclind or to lazy to do that simple step then dont get mad if you get farmed. That simple.

And as other people have said.. there is no matchmaker in FW.. SOMEONE DIDNT READ THE WARNING!

Edited by Grus, 06 August 2018 - 10:23 AM.

#19 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:44 AM

Reading AND understanding is clearly overrated .
hgbek, you and dozens of other "casuals" have moaned about getting wrecked, mostly right after clicking away that pesky screen with the awful lots of text going on about how "FP is a goddamn bubbling pool full of frenzied Piranhas waiting to devour your very flesh and maybe the odd soul for giggles" .

Please be so kind and inform yourself before you jump into the unknown . I mean, it´s literally the same as with looking a loaded and unsafe (as in : safety has been clicked off) gun into the barrel while fingering the trigger and asking "what does this do ? "
You wouldn´t do that, would ´ya ?
Then why did you just pull the trigger on the unsafe gun in this game ?

Btw: many units don't even REQUIRE membership to be able to drop with them, so maybe inform yourself about the numerous TS´s and Discords and head on over to one of those the next time you feel the urge to do some FP ?

Ay, ay, ay … always the same with those young whippersnappers Posted Image

Edited by B0oN, 06 August 2018 - 10:45 AM.

#20 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

View PostB0oN, on 06 August 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

Reading AND understanding is clearly overrated .
hgbek, you and dozens of other "casuals" have moaned about getting wrecked, mostly right after clicking away that pesky screen with the awful lots of text going on about how "FP is a goddamn bubbling pool full of frenzied Piranhas waiting to devour your very flesh and maybe the odd soul for giggles" .

Please be so kind and inform yourself before you jump into the unknown . I mean, it´s literally the same as with looking a loaded and unsafe (as in : safety has been clicked off) gun into the barrel while fingering the trigger and asking "what does this do ? "
You wouldn´t do that, would ´ya ?
Then why did you just pull the trigger on the unsafe gun in this game ?

Btw: many units don't even REQUIRE membership to be able to drop with them, so maybe inform yourself about the numerous TS´s and Discords and head on over to one of those the next time you feel the urge to do some FP ?

Ay, ay, ay … always the same with those young whippersnappers Posted Image

All good. He dropped several times with us and saw the other side of FP. He is doing well and now understands that there can be differences depending on with who you drops.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users