Mechwarrior 3 On Voodoo 5

17 replies to this topic

#1 Varathius

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:07 AM

Hey guys
I have installed MW3 and Pirate's moon on one of my retro PCs but have a question. I am running it on a Voodoo 5, 5500 (win98se), and it has issues but only between missions. For instance, the mission does not download (top left bar) as the mission briefer fills in about the situation.

I have also had blue screens but only after mission ends or before they start. Restarts do solve the problem and I never lost in-game saves but it is tedious.

My question, since I also got a Voodoo 3, 3000 pc, thinking of playing it there BUT I would prefer playing this game on my LCD rather than CRT monitor (I play MW1 and MW2 on that) and the Voodoo 3 I can only assume will run brutally hot with this game and I would have to play it 800x600 instead of 1024x768, does anyone know here if still better to run it on the Voodoo 3 (win98se) ? Any of you retro-gamers know if any potential problems MW3 had with Voodoo 5?

Game is patched to 1.2 btw, latest official patch.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Varathius, 17 August 2018 - 05:08 AM.

#2 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:34 AM

I'd try the V3.. it's closer to the game release IIRC..........

Loved the old Voodoo stuff.. still have my 3500 Octopus.....

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:42 AM

the voodoo 3 was pretty good. i hear the 5 was just trash compared to the other cards of the day.

View PostEnsaine, on 17 August 2018 - 05:34 AM, said:

still have my 3500 Octopus.....

man that 3500. i always wondered if you could connect a dvi to that rather than that monster cable it came with. unfortunately i gave it to my brother many years ago.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 August 2018 - 05:43 AM.

#4 w4ldO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:28 AM

up-to-date (well lol) graphics drivers?
if so, you might want do downgrade to an earlier version

#5 Varathius

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:32 AM

Aye,
I just want to make sure that if it is really the Voodoo 5 causing this issue, I thought maybe Sound card related (Sound blaster audigy 2 platinum) because sometimes you only see the UI and suddenly the voice is gone of the mission briefer, suddenly followed by blue screen.

I will try it on the Voodoo 3 maybe, I just really want to make sure tho because I do not want to start a new save file as I am playing it on the most difficult setting atm and have like 15 hrs completed already.

#6 Varathius

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:36 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 August 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

i hear the 5 was just trash compared to the other cards of the day.

The card was not trash but it did underperform BUT it was still the best card ever made for games that ran on the first unreal engine, so Unreal, UT, DeusEx, etc was by a milestone the best because Glide put so much additional details, and Voodoo 5 was the last best card for that. Basically, 10-15 games you played better, way better than their competitor that had a more powerful product, but this was pretty much it.
That is why I run parallel a GeForce 4ti 4800 on this same computer, it gets me going to 2002 games at max settings when Microsoft was blooming with their D2D games as Microsoft put all their faith into Nvidia from the start. Another beast I have is the Ati Radeon 9800 pro :) gets me going max settings up to 2004 except for Farcry of course.

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

View PostVarathius, on 17 August 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

The card was not trash but it did underperform BUT it was still the best card ever made for games that ran on the first unreal engine, so Unreal, UT, DeusEx, etc was by a milestone the best because Glide put so much additional details, and Voodoo 5 was the last best card for that. Basically, 10-15 games you played better, way better than their competitor that had a more powerful product, but this was pretty much it.
That is why I run parallel a GeForce 4ti 4800 on this same computer, it gets me going to 2002 games at max settings when Microsoft was blooming with their D2D games as Microsoft put all their faith into Nvidia from the start. Another beast I have is the Ati Radeon 9800 pro Posted Image gets me going max settings up to 2004 except for Farcry of course.

i love the way unreal looked on voodoo cards.

#8 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:53 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 August 2018 - 05:42 AM, said:

the voodoo 3 was pretty good. i hear the 5 was just trash compared to the other cards of the day.

The Vodoo5 was anything but trash - but 3dfx went belly up around that time (way to many really poor management decisions and Nvidia delivering the final deathblow per counterlawsuit) and it came late and had little support while the Nvidia Geforce T&L Hype rolled high and 3dfx was forced to surrender themself to their vulture.

And it was not the Voodoo 5 that killed 3dfx - Wikipedia is wrong there - it was the bad decisions like purchasing their own Factory to make the Graphic Cards all themself and cut off the AIB Partners they had thus failing to deliver enough cards to the market handing market share over to their Competition for free etc.

Edited by Thorqemada, 17 August 2018 - 08:54 AM.

#9 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:56 AM

i never actually owned one because they were complete unobtanium.

#10 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:51 PM

Heh Still have one of those kicking around that I use as a reminder of bad purchasing decisions.

First and only time I've purchased a top of the line card right when it launched and the company went out of business like 3 weeks later. Honestly still ran pretty well until the lack of driver updates for it caught up with it.

#11 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:44 PM

View PostVarathius, on 17 August 2018 - 05:07 AM, said:

Hey guys

I have installed MW3 and Pirate's moon on one of my retro PCs but have a question. I am running it on a Voodoo 5, 5500 (win98se), and it has issues but only between missions. For instance, the mission does not download (top left bar) as the mission briefer fills in about the situation.

I have also had blue screens but only after mission ends or before they start. Restarts do solve the problem and I never lost in-game saves but it is tedious.

My question, since I also got a Voodoo 3, 3000 pc, thinking of playing it there BUT I would prefer playing this game on my LCD rather than CRT monitor (I play MW1 and MW2 on that) and the Voodoo 3 I can only assume will run brutally hot with this game and I would have to play it 800x600 instead of 1024x768, does anyone know here if still better to run it on the Voodoo 3 (win98se) ? Any of you retro-gamers know if any potential problems MW3 had with Voodoo 5?

Game is patched to 1.2 btw, latest official patch.

Thanks in advance

Why don't you just run on new rig in compatibility mode?

Edited by HammerMaster, 17 August 2018 - 02:48 PM.

#12 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:54 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 17 August 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

The Vodoo5 was anything but trash - but 3dfx went belly up around that time (way to many really poor management decisions and Nvidia delivering the final deathblow per counterlawsuit) and it came late and had little support while the Nvidia Geforce T&L Hype rolled high and 3dfx was forced to surrender themself to their vulture.

And it was not the Voodoo 5 that killed 3dfx - Wikipedia is wrong there - it was the bad decisions like purchasing their own Factory to make the Graphic Cards all themself and cut off the AIB Partners they had thus failing to deliver enough cards to the market handing market share over to their Competition for free etc.

Being in the PC building business at the time, my take on it is Voodoo was a great card but late to the party. Graphics were beautiful but the GeForce had it beat in speed. Also it for whatever reason was harder to obtain.

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:51 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 17 August 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

Why don't you just run on new rig in compatibility mode?

yea out of all the mechwarriors i think mw3 is the easiest to run on modern hardware/operating systems. though there are a few tweaks you need to do to make it run.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 August 2018 - 03:51 PM.

#14 Varathius

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 August 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

yea out of all the mechwarriors i think mw3 is the easiest to run on modern hardware/operating systems. though there are a few tweaks you need to do to make it run.

I have 5 PCs, 4 of them retro (p1, p2, athlon xp, p4), as I still have all the big boxes in mint conditions of back then and so many games that I never sold. It makes most sense to play it on one of the retro rigs :)
I installed it on the Voodoo3 and playing it 800x600 on my crt and it works flawless now. Indeed, voodoo5 was to new for it.
Now, it took me days making MW2 work with my Voodoo2 card... that was a pain and I have the 3dfx enhanced version too.

Edited by Varathius, 18 August 2018 - 08:56 AM.

#15 Celtic Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 507 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Operations - Tukayyid - Honolulu HI

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:41 PM

I tried years ago to get MW3 and MW2 to run on my machine in win7 and XP but never got it to go past the 4th or 5th mission in MW3. It would be cool if they would retro them on Steam.

#16 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:20 PM

GoG needs to get it Hands on it !

#17 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:52 PM

[mod]This thread has been moved to
Off Topic Discussions.[/mod]

#18 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:28 AM

I play MechWarrior 3 and Pirates Moon on Windows 7 64 pro with current Nvidia** cards and DX11. The things MW3 doesn't like about new hardware is unlimited frames per second and AA. So I set the refresh rate to half normal, about 30 FPS, and turn AA to off. I think if the FPS is too high you get the flying vehicles and mechs that fall over. If you try to force AA you get the CTD.

Don't know if that helps. GL.

** I've never been able to get this to work with ATI cards.

Edited by Lightfoot, 28 September 2018 - 09:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users