- - - - -

Ams For Brawlers?

14 replies to this topic

#1 HammerofGrabthar

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:38 AM

Tier 4 noob here.

I am wondering whether AMS has any use on a brawling mech or if it is just better to maximize short range damage?

Running a Roughneck 2A with HGR (I know AC/20 is prob better but I think HGR is really funny so I run it). I keep bouncing back and forth between putting an AMS or SRM in the left torso.

On the one hand, when I get a nice brawling map like the minning collective I love having the SRM, but, on the other hand, with AMS I feel like I can at least contribute something on a map like polar highlands.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:20 AM

Post the build. There are simply too many variables to make a simple recommendation.

A single SRM is never worth it though. The choice would be between gauss ammo, an AMS, RL or changes to the engine/armor.

#3 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

While AMS will target SRMs, I don't have the numbers on how many missiles AMS will take out it CQC situation.

The biggest benefit to AMS right now with all the LRM/ATM love is that it will gun down long range missile while you are closing range for a brawl and allows you to still be effective part of the team while the enemy is out of your range.

That said, that ton may still be better used for armor, heat sink or ammo as your goal will be offense vs defense in most scenarios.

#4 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:07 PM

For events or days when it seems like missile are everywhere bring ams. I'd go with ams and 2 tons ammo minimal. Lams uses heat and in a brawl the extra heat can be a pain to manage. You can just turn off lams with r-ctrl but I tend to forget to turn it back on. Lams can overheat and kill your mech too so overriding with one is a good way to self detonate.

#5 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:16 PM

If I was going to run Hgauss and AMS on the 2A, I'd probably do this.

One SRM may be worth it but we need to see the build to be sure.

Edited by Roughneck45, 18 August 2018 - 09:16 PM.

#6 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:57 PM

As someone who mostly plays short to medium range brawlers, I try to stick AMS on every single build that can carry one without completely crippling the build. Even if you personally do not need it (especially if you do not need it), it will still save armour on some of your teammates, giving you a bit more time to get organised and get active.

I also would not strip down the arms of the Mech as much as Roughneck45. Especially the left side of the Roughneck 2A is a really nice shield side once you get better at twisting, allowing you to take significant amounts of damage and survive with 0 impact on your combat abilities. The longer your arm lasts in that situation, the better for you.

I also like it when the cooldown of my weapon better matches each other, so I can continue doing full alpha strikes as quickly and often as possible while the heat allows me to.

***A quick addition: The past 3 weeks have not been a good indication of how many LRM players there are. Right now, in quick play, there are practically none. Most of them seem to be busy doing faction play. Once all the faction events are over and normal quick play events commence, there will pretty much not be any more matches where the opponents do have have at least one lurmer...***

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 18 August 2018 - 11:20 PM.

#7 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:56 PM

Take the LRM, given the information provided. AMS is almost useless against SRMs at brawling range, though it can kill a few missiles. But you want to get to brawling range with the maximum armor, and AMS is good for that. Just don't rely on it to hard-counter missiles of course - AMS is best through of as damage reduction.

#8 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:41 AM

and bring the Skill Tree Radar Dep. to maximum ...use Cover and Team ...not run alone and wait of the right Situation for a Brawl when the reds come to you

#9 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:43 AM

Heavy gauss is a vulnerable weapon. Therefore I think AMS is a must to shield yourself from a fraction of the damage done in particular by LRM/ATM.
Yes the environment is your best shield, but not all maps or teams allow you to maximize the usage of that, particularly low tiers. Moreover, in low tiers the amount of missiles tend to be higher.

Downside of using SRM is that even an SRM2 is relatively wide spread, so it is likely you won't hit your desired component.

H-gauss is a pinpoint damage weapon with low heat. Try to combine it with another pin point weapon with high heat. The snub-nose ppc could fit your centre torso. Moreover, if you lose your side torso people still won't like being slapped by a snub.

Another tip. you may want to add some armor to the arm to shield your Hgauss from a fraction of the damage.

#10 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:38 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 18 August 2018 - 09:16 PM, said:

If I was going to run Hgauss and AMS on the 2A, I'd probably do this.

One SRM may be worth it but we need to see the build to be sure.

Looks more like a peek-a-boo build then a brawler.

If you play heavygauss 'cause it's fun, okay.
I'd try this ac20+mrm build a couple time, ac20 has the same dps of a heavygauss, pinpoint up close, less facetime and syncs better with the mrm.
I'd personally not mount AMS unless you go up against clan in FP (stream fired LRM and ATM spam).

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 19 August 2018 - 07:46 AM.

#11 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:21 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 19 August 2018 - 07:38 AM, said:

I'd agree, but I was going with the info given. I'm scared he is using only Hgauss and one of the things he mentioned.

#12 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:55 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 19 August 2018 - 07:38 AM, said:

If you play heavygauss 'cause it's fun, okay.
I'd try this ac20+mrm build a couple time, ac20 has the same dps of a heavygauss, pinpoint up close, less facetime and syncs better with the mrm.
I'd personally not mount AMS unless you go up against clan in FP (stream fired LRM and ATM spam).

I run the HGauss + 3 MPL build (instead of ERML's) and it's a dang good brawler. With a full dead side, if you're good at twisting you can take a LOT of punishment before you go down, and when you inevitably lose the Gauss rifle or run out of ammo (I only carry 3 tons) you can still zombie and annoy the enemy team with 3 MPL's.

#13 HammerofGrabthar

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:10 AM

Hey everyone thanks for the feedback.

Here were the two builds I was bouncing back and forth between since people asked:

AMS

SRM

So I gather from everyone that the one extra SRM is not to great ... either go for AMS or just maximize zombie mode with pulse lasers since you are forced into a standard engine by HGR. Is that about right?

If anyone has any other feedback that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#14 HammerofGrabthar

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 19 August 2018 - 11:55 PM, said:

I run the HGauss + 3 MPL build (instead of ERML's) and it's a dang good brawler. With a full dead side, if you're good at twisting you can take a LOT of punishment before you go down, and when you inevitably lose the Gauss rifle or run out of ammo (I only carry 3 tons) you can still zombie and annoy the enemy team with 3 MPL's.

Can you post your build please?

#15 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

Pretty much, yea. In case you're curious, my HGR+3MPL build looks like this:

HGR+3 MPL

You can also cut the engine size a bit and drop to light ferro armor, and fit in an AMS if you want, but I like going full zombie dead side for maximum brawl tankiness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users