ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:00 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 August 2018 - 06:54 PM, said:

Note the part about "borrowing game mechanics from BT." Titanfall and Hawken don't have game mechanics anywhere close to MW.

funny bit about that? MW game mechanics? Aren't really all that great? They certain;y aren't terribly realistic. Now if someone could combine the stompy robot bit with the Pen system of something like a WoT or War Thunder wit some actual immersion stuff (aka the reticle sway that gets you lads all puckered and hot under the collar ;) ) ... well then we'd be talking some kind of hot and awesome system. This? It's Decent and all... but lose the lore and it's really nothing to write home about, hate to tell you.

View PostKhobai, on 18 August 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

nope its not just me. did you see the !@#$storm when someone suggested they advance the timeline to jihad era lmao. nobody wanted that because its so awful.

and honestly anyone who spends their time in the fiction section of the forums were better off without anyway.

Well at least after 6 years you finally learned how to use the quote feature. Son, I am impress.

Not enough to think your opinions have remotely improved, or your reasonings, but hey, baby steps!

#42 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:04 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 August 2018 - 07:00 PM, said:

funny bit about that? MW game mechanics? Aren't really all that great? They certain;y aren't terribly realistic. Now if someone could combine the stompy robot bit with the Pen system of something like a WoT or War Thunder wit some actual immersion stuff (aka the reticle sway that gets you lads all puckered and hot under the collar Posted Image ) ... well then we'd be talking some kind of hot and awesome system. This? It's Decent and all... but lose the lore and it's really nothing to write home about, hate to tell you.

Well at least after 6 years you finally learned how to use the quote feature. Son, I am impress.

Not enough to think your opinions have remotely improved, or your reasonings, but hey, baby steps!

Ive always known how to use the quote system. You do realize the quote system doesnt work with certain mobile browsers? Its a known bug that PGI still hasnt fixed after all these years. The struggle is real.

And why do you have me unblocked? Posted Image

View PostFupDup, on 18 August 2018 - 06:54 PM, said:

I've always thought that somebody should just some along and start a whole new IP (with game mechanics "borrowed" from BT) instead of nuking BT so that we don't have to endure the holy wrath of the grognards.

I think a game like that could do well actually. There is a niche market for it especially since MWO has largely failed to deliver.

They could add dinosaurs and aliens too.

Edited by Khobai, 18 August 2018 - 07:08 PM.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:10 PM

View PostKhobai, on 18 August 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

Ive always known how to use the quote system. You do realize the quote system doesnt work with certain mobile browsers? Its a known bug that PGI still hasnt fixed after all these years.

And why do you have me unblocked? Posted Image

I think a game like that could do well actually. There is a niche market for it especially since MWO has largely failed to deliver.

They could add dinosaurs and aliens too.

I actually don't. I sometimes still read you posts for pure entertainment value. I may find your posts woefully misguided and usually flat out wrong (and yes occasionally annoying), but I don't find them to be actually toxic, or anything. What can I say.. you are like.. my own personal JarJar Binks in life. *shrugs*

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 18 August 2018 - 07:15 PM.

#44 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 August 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

I've always thought that somebody should just some along and start a whole new IP (with game mechanics "borrowed" from BT) instead of nuking BT so that we don't have to endure the holy wrath of the grognards.

Exactly this. I've stated befre they can just reskin the mechs into Elementals with mage pilots. Keep the mechanics. No TT rules to bog you down.

#45 brroleg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 245 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

View Postxe N on, on 18 August 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

LRMs are one of the least problems in the game ...

LRMs no a problem yes. Problem AMS having so short range that its make this weapons just wast of tonnage on its own. No need to nerf LRM, need to fix AMS. And need somehow to make AMS useful even when there is no missiles to shut down. Maybe make AMS to shoot and do damage to enemy mechs at point blank range? Make AMS just an automatic machine gun if there is no missiles to shoot down.

#46 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

View Postbrroleg, on 18 August 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

LRMs no a problem yes. Problem AMS having so short range that its make this weapons just wast of tonnage on its own. No need to nerf LRM, need to fix AMS. And need somehow to make AMS useful even when there is no missiles to shut down. Maybe make AMS to shoot and do damage to enemy mechs at point blank range? Make AMS just an automatic machine gun if there is no missiles to shoot down.

Yeah, lets give an 1- to 1,5 ton equipment the ability to neuter a complete weapon system. LRMs are already weak compared to direct fire weapons. That is the reason they need to be spammed and fired indirectly - direct LRM fire is just too bad. Try to lock someone directly with LRMs even using Artemis and TAG is already self murder, because you are instantly hit by 60+ laser/gauss alpha or are out dps'ed by multi-AC boats. You can't even twist incoming damage because you need to stay locked otherwise your target only needs to do 3 steps a side and your missiles going to hit nothing.

LRM direct fire needs to be much better, e.g. by not loosing tracking of missiles at lock break if fired by direct targeting. Locking needs to be much faster if you direct fire LRMs.

Indirect fire should on the other hand be less rewarding. Remove the tracking ability if LRMs are fired indirectly. That would hurt alot, but targets still had to be on the move. So, indirect fire still would had tactical meaning. AMS can be buffed but should only work against indirect fire.

Edited by xe N on, 18 August 2018 - 10:06 PM.

#47 Jack Dawes

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:06 PM

I have to say that I notice a lot of Clan mechs with lrm20 spam. Personally, I've shelved my IS missile boats as, IMO, they are pretty lackluster right now. I guess if I ran lrm40-50, I might feel differenlty, but that's way too weak for my tastes. One of my go-to mechs was a KTO-18(C) with 5xLRM5 and 2xERML, 97KPH. Now, even if I follow the pack and work to about 270M, they feel pretty weak, so I don't play the mech much any more.

I have been harassed by LRMs, and killed 3-4 times by them in the last 3 months. I'm killed a lot more by dual heavy gauss builds. Does that mean I should cry that heavy gauss rifles should be nerfed into oblivion? Of course not.

This is not a game of Napoleonic miniatures where we are supposed to stand in perfect little lines and take turns blowing the snot out of each other. This is a game of position. And position RUINS LRMs. I think the only problem with the PIR is that the crit rate is a little out of control when boated in those quantities. To be fair, my 6MG Mist Lynx does a pretty fair job as well - which means the mech isn't the problem, the crit rate is. They have "toned down" the crit rate - and to be honest I didn't even notice it so it's one of the few times they didn't fine tune with Blizzard's 10 pound sledge hammer - but I think it still needs a little tuning. I don't wnat the PIR to become useless, but it's a little over the top right now. And that's entirely because of crit.

Edited by Jack Dawes, 18 August 2018 - 10:08 PM.

#48 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:47 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 August 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

Yes yes. Battletech is not World of Warcraft or whatever, ergo it must be failing. *facepalm*

If Battletech isn't World of Warcraft, then what is it? What value does the name have?

You don't have any inclination of ANYTHING.. because you look at walls of numbers, apply no actual context to any of them, and have no grasp to any of the goings on behind the scenes for any of the parties involved. Thus, you are talking out of your butt. Good day sir.

What behind the scenes are you talking about? What kind of magic trick can Russ still pull some magic trick out of the hat? I've seen enough BS from the game industry that at this point, if he's not bringing results, I could not care less. Game developers need to be accountable, and that means they need to bring in the numbers. Because your banker and your investors says so.

No context on the numbers? Steam analytics is the lifeblood information for steam games. Google Trends measure Google Search inquiries which itself is a strong indicator of public interest. If someone is interested in it, they will Google Search it. Google Trends is used to examine all sorts of social trends to politics. Alone each is a separate set of data, each is just a snapshot, but when you have two sets that is exhibiting a correlation --- and a clear downward trend in just three months, then its saying something.

Want some context in comparison with other free to play games? Here is a five year chart of four games.

Posted Image

Edited by Anjian, 18 August 2018 - 10:49 PM.

#49 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:47 PM

Oh No Bishop Posted Image

aka the reticle sway that gets you lads all puckered and hot under the collar Posted Image
thats its a old Dinosaur from the WWII...today we have gyroscoping Cameras ...nothing for a Mech in the 31 Century, and away with this TT Weaponsranges for the size io a Table..make a Bigger Board Game with more modern Equipment ,Electronic Warfare, Ranges over more Km and electronic Targetcameras ,electronic Counters,Staff and flares,Drones, Combined Warfare...maps with hexes you can staple Units (like Aerotech)...

And MWO ...when im seeing War thunder (with many Problems and bugs and Balancing Problems) and MWO ...War thudner have each month new Content ...Maps , enough Modes , realistic Immersion of the Maps and by the Units (not plastic looking Camouflage) and next ,after Ground and Airforces the Naval forces ...and PGI ?
even the advertising for MW5 leave it to PC Gamers, because they do not maintain their MW5 pages .. latest news on their great MW5 homepage, ..... MW5 will be playable at the Mechcon 2017: D and MWO is the first own susessfull Game in all the 17 Years from PGI
PGI can not make IK, have nothing AI for MWO and will not create his, crashed with Transverse (and hers lie to hold a Licence for Wing Commander) ...the last maps was graphical more like old Games in the 80s and very Ugly (the Map team leaving to other company like many good Folks before?) and now will bring life to the FW with a Event only for Davion vs Liao, and all others Houseplayers can not play the FW when not changing to the 2 Houses ...Wars like this not a event ,thats must standard for the FW ...not only clan vs IS

Who the FW from the great words of 2013

mmake regular IS/IS Clan/Clan FW and you must not neverending try to balancing with buffs and nerfs thats bring the last players away...you have build for Casuals ...now the casuals the last against the Groups ,and for casuals not weapons ...teamplay and tactical awarness is op

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 19 August 2018 - 05:26 AM.

#50 Rafe Yomin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:03 AM

View PostKhobai, on 18 August 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

nope its not just me. did you see the !@#$storm when someone suggested they advance the timeline to jihad era lmao. nobody wanted that because its so awful.

and honestly anyone who spends their time in the fiction section of the forums were better off without anyway.

Yeah, we should get rid of all those who are interested in the lore. That'll be great for the player base. Get rid of those who are most enthusiastic about the game. Posted Image

#51 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:01 AM

Whew.... This was a disheartening thread to read....

LRMs and PIR and low player count..... I wonder why?

Because it was broken from day 1 and PGI bit off more than it could chew and went into a "maintenance mode" and the mech pack became the primary sales tool..... Of course, the "value proposition" of the game was Factional Expansion and Interstellar conquest and conflicts, alas, PGI just didn't have the vision, the talent, the automation or the where for all to give the player population what they promised.... And, it divided the player base into us and them and FP drove off entire teams !

When you value proposition is actually the cause of players leaving en masse, entire teams, you don't created a single player mode................you freaking fix what the game is based on..... They tried to change their value proposition back to single player (solaris) and it was rejected because the only people left were Faction Players....... Good grief.

So, here we are complaining about LRMs and PIRs.... Why? You should be writing PGI and complaining about fixing Faction Play by addding larger maps and smarter missions. AND, drop the eSports concept: it's just out right embarrassing......and Non Value Added. If you want to compete, Fix FP and talk about the Universe and whom controls it....

Oy Vey ! What a mess.

#52 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:42 AM

What realy kills the game is that people that are here from the beginning still wait for the game they could play with all the fancy mechs the bought.

I remember that we lought in close beta at ppl comparing MWO with World of Tanks because soon the beta will be over and we will have so much more than WoT could ever dream of having....

Well gues what.

The pillars concept that MWO was advertised with never came.

A social system, the basis for community warfare was never implemented...still got only a rag tag chat system that is less functional than early days IRC chat.

Basic mech physics like terrain interaction and detailed dmg maps even got patched out during the last third of closed beta--> Mech warfare

We waited years for Community Warfare (now named Faction play) that also only was implemented in form of a barely functioning placeholder state and that has not improved or changed much ever since.

We waited years for some kind of role warfare that was only implemented in form of a placeholder skilltree and module system.

Information warfare never got extended above the use of ECM, NARC and TAG....and if you want to count it in the use of the command wheel nobody realy uses to more than fooling arround and screeming for help when their behinds get fried by a bunch of lights cuz they wandered away from their group.

And I don't know anymore how the other 2 pillars where named but well.

What drives ppl away is there is not much game to play.
We still got a good setup or basic framework for a game but the content to play with is simply non existend.

Again Mechs and the few maps we got aren't the content.
Those are just the things the games content should play on.

#53 The Mysterious Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 381 posts
  • LocationUsing your bathroom

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

i think pts 2.0 is a great stepping stone as things stand now. i absolutely detest FP though

#54 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:01 AM

PTS for what ? for the most terrible basepalyers and the Veterans(the Middle most leave) and the Competive Players ? Pts between two extreme Positions ?

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 19 August 2018 - 06:14 PM.

#55 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:16 PM

View PostUhtred the Pagan, on 18 August 2018 - 09:22 AM, said:

The vets slowly started fading away since a while, but nothing made them stop playing more than the recent atrocities. I play MWO 50 hours a week since 3 years, and I see clearly whats going on. If you dont do something quickly, PGI, the downward spiral will kill this great game soon before it can recover. I know why people stop playing.

LRM being so OP ...

You lost me right there.

#56 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:21 PM

View PostJon Gotham, on 18 August 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

... the irony of logging onto the net to play with other people to simply ignore the other people.......

These words are golden!

#57 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:39 PM

The good new is wow and swtor are both still worth playing while mwo not so much. I spent most of last night on gen chat on tython talking about non sw stuff in a civil conversation. It was great.

#58 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:16 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 August 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

What it needs is someone to buy the IP from Microsoft and throw a **** ton of money at TOPPS to make them willing to take the risk and reboot the franchise.

You could reboot the franchise and make some smart changes while keeping the core stuff. Just balance better and design it so you can have higher gunnery/piloting for Clans so they have an advantage in tabletop (so the munchkin grognards don't all eat a bullet or whatever munchkins do when they have to play without an advantage) and make sure you've got a steady trickle of new tech for both sides.

You could do it and it would be amazing. You'd just need a big pile of money you don't have to repay for 10+ years.

#59 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:29 PM

View PostAnjian, on 18 August 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

If Battletech isn't World of Warcraft, then what is it? What value does the name have?

What behind the scenes are you talking about? What kind of magic trick can Russ still pull some magic trick out of the hat? I've seen enough BS from the game industry that at this point, if he's not bringing results, I could not care less. Game developers need to be accountable, and that means they need to bring in the numbers. Because your banker and your investors says so.

No context on the numbers? Steam analytics is the lifeblood information for steam games. Google Trends measure Google Search inquiries which itself is a strong indicator of public interest. If someone is interested in it, they will Google Search it. Google Trends is used to examine all sorts of social trends to politics. Alone each is a separate set of data, each is just a snapshot, but when you have two sets that is exhibiting a correlation --- and a clear downward trend in just three months, then its saying something.

Want some context in comparison with other free to play games? Here is a five year chart of four games.

Posted Image

A downtrend for one quarter over 8 years is nothing. It's actually incredible that it's had 8 solid years as a niche game. The reality is that for an indie self-published game MWO is a huge success story and the fact that MW5 is made and getting released is also pretty incredible. It's winning the lotto odds to pull off. I'm critical of a lot of things but from the perspective of someone who works in analytics and who spent many long years in the gaming industry MWO is a successful game. It missed the opportunity to become a breakout world hit but so do 99.99999% of games. it's run for almost a decade and is still turning enough of a profit to help fund the development of a newer game in a new engine.

Steam has 26,553 total registered games right now. MWO fits on a very short list of games that have lasted 8 years and is only multiplayer. The IP is a really, really resilient one. It's lasted 30 years and still makes sales across all platforms from games to minis to tabletop to hardcopy books. You'd struggle to put 10 names in that category. If the IP had ended up in the hands of, say, Blizzard instead of Microsoft it would be a household name.

It's not about having missed greatness, it's that it had near-misses largely because of mishandling. Movie, cartoon, over 100 novels just in english (there's like 30+ that are only in German as an example), it's got a long list of successes. The IP is a powerhouse. It just ended up with the digital media in bad hands and some poor business decisions about its media opportunities.

In the right hands the IP could blow up in a big way.

#60 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:53 PM

View PostUhtred the Pagan, on 18 August 2018 - 09:22 AM, said:

... I play MWO 50 hours a week since 3 years, and I see clearly whats going on...

Wow, that's a lot of MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users