Events As Advertisement For Faction Play

28 replies to this topic

#1 Phlynn

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 03:07 PM

I was assuming the idea behind the events are to attract players to faction play, inviting players to experience that style of play.

But how does it help? In most of the past few weeks, most matches have at least a 20 mech kill spread and the winner can be called in the first seven minutes of any match.

Can't say I see the appeal.

#2 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

View PostPhlynn, on 18 August 2018 - 03:07 PM, said:

I was assuming the idea behind the events are to attract players to faction play, inviting players to experience that style of play.

But how does it help? In most of the past few weeks, most matches have at least a 20 mech kill spread and the winner can be called in the first seven minutes of any match.

Can't say I see the appeal.

That's the problem in a nutshell. FW is leet mode if you're up against good pre-mades and you have to bring your big boy pants.

I sound like a broken record, but if PGI wants FW to grow, they have to find a 3rd way because luring everyone in with MC just kills QP queue times and disillusions new players, and without events FW participation is very low. My play time in QP (I don't do FW) is way down since they started daisy chaining these events because wait times in QP are very bad. I've waited up to 5 minutes during NA prime time which is unprecedented. Unfortunately we just don't have the player base to pack both modes right now.

I don't see how they solve the problem TBH. Glad my paycheck doesn't depend on it.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:03 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 August 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

Just take this event as a nod of acknowledgement towards the FP veterans for their effort in keeping the mode alive for four years. If you are a random pugger who doesn't even do FP in general, then perhaps you are not the prize's main target.

Don't worry, there will be QP events soon, I'm sure of it.

#4 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:42 PM

It's more accurate to say that Faction Play makes me want to participate in events less, rather than that events make me want to participate in Faction Play more... unless the objectives can all be done in Scouting, because those drops never turn into half-hour torture carnivals. Medium speedbrawl mode can be fun sometimes, even if it gets old fast because there's so little play variety. Full FP though? Not worth the trouble. The good drop to crap drop ratio is too low for how bloody long the crap drops drag on.

What PGI would need to do to make matches that long attractive is take drop decks out and just implement full respawns. If you can't roll with a 12-man and end up with "that one guy" who YOLOs and wipes early (or worse, that one lance of guys), the rest of the game is going to blow chunks. No matter what play modes they add or remove, FP will always be 12-man-land until or unless that issue is resolved. Yeah, it was supposed to be for full, coordinated teams... but the full, coordinated teams turned out unable to support it, and it's therefore been a drag on the rest of the game since the new car smell wore off. Either PGI makes FP more forgiving for skittles and smaller casual groups, or FP will continue to be a desert except when there's an event for it. It's really that simple.

#5 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:41 PM

I did 17 drops in FP today

as long as I don't get Boreal Vault things are ok
QP was starting to suck so I welcome the change

#6 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:14 PM

great event whos only can playing steiner and Liaos ,all others must changing or leave the Units to play FW ...fights between the Houses not a Goal for a Event ,thats the Standard thats houses fights , not only the minimal reducing from the FW to IS vs Clan

after 6 Years give the game the FW what has PGI spoken to finding Founders

give regular IS/IS and Clan/Clan and many Balancing problems going with it

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 19 August 2018 - 03:48 AM.

#7 Rafe Yomin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:55 AM

The event also just stops players from playing. Haven't played other than a few QP matches, since the queue times are 2-3 times higher, during the main active hours of the game. Was just getting back into the game too, and i want to play, but when thinking of the waits during a FP event, i just start up another game. Hope the events stop soon, because i and many others are just not playing and new players coming into the game this month will have the instant impression that the game has no population (it's already bad populationwise, but not as bad as it seems now with QP queue's taking forever).

Edit: And i just don't have any interest in FP scouting mode, which is the only mode which i could do(i like the 12v12 matches, not 4v4 or 1v1, just don't have any interest in them). My owned mechs are the Kit Fox, Shadowcat, Arctic Cheetah and Nova. This would also not be an acceptable dropdeck for the normal FP matches, it would just be considered trolling. But i just don't like playing assaults and heavies nor most mediums, i don't know how to use those mechs effectively, and i have a lot more fun in lights and some mediums. This means i basically have QP to go to, which is the basic game mode, which is generally ruined for the time of the event.

Edited by Rafe Yomin, 19 August 2018 - 03:10 AM.

#8 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:17 AM

Actually, if PGI took a few seconds to think this trough, they would have created a Faction Play event where "teams" were not allowed: a pure mercenary event. Only individuals....

That way, the farming and seal killing pre-made teams wouldn't have larger fields and herds to farm and new players could at least experience the game mode BEFORE they quit MWO....

Good grief......it's that simple: remove the 'us' and 'them' and start over. Then, limit teams to 4 and get back to the original value proposition by adding in the economy and infrastructure that was suppose to be there from the beginning.... Of course, many above will scream about team size but, if the root cause was team size because teams that large can control the game itself, the solution is to remove them to open the game up to allow it to grow and THEN, experiment as the population comes back and...............it just might.

#9 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:30 AM

or make IS/IS and Clan/Clan regular fights (balancing!) and make many Planetfights (casual safe fights) only for No-Groups...bind Groups as Garrison to a Timespan to the Planets thats hes hold ,thats only 4 Player or Single Scout- Teams can go to conquer new planets in a Month...its give many Ways ...

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 19 August 2018 - 05:31 AM.

#10 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:52 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 19 August 2018 - 05:30 AM, said:

or make IS/IS and Clan/Clan regular fights (balancing!) and make many Planetfights (casual safe fights) only for No-Groups...bind Groups as Garrison to a Timespan to the Planets thats hes hold ,thats only 4 Player or Single Scout- Teams can go to conquer new planets in a Month...its give many Ways ...

Last part sounds like prevent team in team base game mode. Solo FP is just no fun. Defending ok but attack with pugs is...
What is so hard to team up?

#11 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:03 AM

You guys don't like FP? That's a shame, imo the gameplay is much better than qp. It is certainly meant to be enjoyed with others though. And you know what happens when there are QP events on? Fp is a ghost town.

Banning groups will simply result in sync dropping.

#12 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:13 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 19 August 2018 - 05:52 AM, said:

Last part sounds like prevent team in team base game mode. Solo FP is just no fun. Defending ok but attack with pugs is...

when the defenders the same pugs ? in the same T Level ? why we have so many Planets when only 2 or 3 Planets in Fights ? why not only Fights for not high ranked Players of 2 or 3 Planets beside the other Wars ? playing against High ranked groups in a Game with no Logistic System or R&R
High level with always fresh 'Mechs that never wear out because they are currently tied to the defense of their planet, that they sometimes have to fight against fresh Mechs with Cadets fight is not really funny for all.We have no FW ,we have no really Contracts or Missionmarkets (seeing like HBS) ...we Have Quickplay with generic random maps and Dropdecks ...not more

A Board to see ...
Planet Callipso -Defenders 228th -only groups (4A/8H/12M/24L)
Planet Galliopolis -Attackers T4 -T5 Players -you will join?
Planet Helios: Defenders T3-T4 Players-you will Join

unlucky for PGI -here no Serversystem

In Moment you select blind and not seeing what come as Counterpart .no system like First will a Group attack and come in the Missionsystem with his Datas so other Players can join or search a other mission

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 19 August 2018 - 07:26 AM.

#13 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:37 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 19 August 2018 - 05:52 AM, said:

Yes, that is exactly the case ! teams > 4 can more than influence a game mode and, as a by product get toxic.... Not necessarily personally toxic but so driven to win that "how they accomplish that" gets too extreme......

If we have an extremely low population, the solution usually is the opposite of what you would assume is correct. In this case, limit teams till the population grows and then, start experimenting with what works best.

Faction Play failed; and that was a team based adventure. Solaris appears to have failed; and that is an FPS for the most part..... So, what does that tell you? Something in the middle is all that is left. Or, pray MW5 is the answer to all ills and shut down MWO to repair it...........for the next 5 years of so..... Ha.

If there was a simple and easy answer, I can Gar-un-tee you PGI would have done it.....

#14 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:41 PM

View PostAsym, on 19 August 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

Yes, that is exactly the case ! teams > 4 can more than influence a game mode and, as a by product get toxic.... Not necessarily personally toxic but so driven to win that "how they accomplish that" gets too extreme......

If we have an extremely low population, the solution usually is the opposite of what you would assume is correct. In this case, limit teams till the population grows and then, start experimenting with what works best.

Faction Play failed; and that was a team based adventure. Solaris appears to have failed; and that is an FPS for the most part..... So, what does that tell you? Something in the middle is all that is left. Or, pray MW5 is the answer to all ills and shut down MWO to repair it...........for the next 5 years of so..... Ha.

If there was a simple and easy answer, I can Gar-un-tee you PGI would have done it.....

Yea kill Fp for an experiment. Old Ranger more buckets is not the solution. At max they can try the group und solo split. But u already cant find guys of the main time.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 19 August 2018 - 12:45 PM.

#15 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:59 PM

I've posted plenty of suggestions to let pre-mades play pugs fairly, PGI hasn't gotten around to them yet. (To reading them)

Edited by Nightbird, 19 August 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#16 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:01 PM

View PostAsym, on 19 August 2018 - 04:17 AM, said:

Actually, if PGI took a few seconds to think this trough, they would have created a Faction Play event where "teams" were not allowed: a pure mercenary event. Only individuals....

That way, the farming and seal killing pre-made teams wouldn't have larger fields and herds to farm and new players could at least experience the game mode BEFORE they quit MWO....

Good grief......it's that simple: remove the 'us' and 'them' and start over. Then, limit teams to 4 and get back to the original value proposition by adding in the economy and infrastructure that was suppose to be there from the beginning.... Of course, many above will scream about team size but, if the root cause was team size because teams that large can control the game itself, the solution is to remove them to open the game up to allow it to grow and THEN, experiment as the population comes back and...............it just might.

The CW event system was made to make up for the loyalist getting the shaft when they went to 1 bucket. Russ said in the pod cast it would be every week or "often" (I forget).

Loyalist don't want to change to other factions so they ended up making a merc event where people play for MC and its not even often. I been told Marik got an event for 1 day long ago, I have never seen it.

FP is so dead to me i hope they move this thread out of general.

#17 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

View PostNightbird, on 19 August 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

I've posted plenty of suggestions to let pre-mades play pugs fairly, PGI hasn't gotten around to them it. (To reading them)

Its not just pre-mades v pugs but teams v teams. I have seen a ton of teams "quit for the night "because they getting smashed by one of the top rated teams for 30-40 minutes.

At least in group Q its over fast when you get put up to fight one of the world champion teams lol

#18 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:27 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 19 August 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

Its not just pre-mades v pugs but teams v teams. I have seen a ton of teams "quit for the night "because they getting smashed by one of the top rated teams for 30-40 minutes.

At least in group Q its over fast when you get put up to fight one of the world champion teams lol

Both, since my suggestion is to incorporate team strength into deck tonnage. A stronger team with higher W/L will get less tonnage

#19 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:38 PM

View PostAsym, on 19 August 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

Faction Play failed; and that was a team based adventure ...

CW failed not because of teams. It failed because it was barely an emaciated skeleton of a game mode.

#20 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:22 PM

Not met a pre made team for the last two days.

Most has been a group of four, balanced out by a group of three.

The events fun

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users