- - - - -

Torso Twisting Again

9 replies to this topic

#1 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

I just bought a Cougar and I noticed how far the torso would travel. However, to do this I have to lift and my mouse a couple of times.

I realize that a lot of my "problems" started after the new skill tree and from what I've heard and I'm hearing is that even with all the mobility skill nodes. Mechs will not move as well as they did before.

So I'm still using my movement buttons to zigzag backward and trying to torso twist.

I also think that some of my problems came from me changing or having a number of mechs that can constantly spit out damage rather than do an Alpha and then twist.

For instance, with the old KDK-3, I just stand and fire 1,2,3,4, 1,2,3,4 etc. instead of firing all four and trying to twist.

My sensitivity is set to zero and the DPI of my mouse is at 1,000.

But I still feel like this is one area of the game that is holding me back so any tips would be helpful.

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:02 PM

Sensitivity settings of around .2 to .3 work well for me; you might also consider unlocking your arms for mo better twisting.

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:05 PM

the armlock is what does the trick for me. Even though the torso travels slower, your mouse is not bound to it any longer.

#4 Bakaneko

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:26 PM

Regarding torso twisting and arm lock, when you toggle arm lock off, you can twist your torso more easily. Actually amount of mouse movement required is same with arm lock on or off, but with arm lock on, torso turn rate is limiting factor instead of arm movement rate. When you move mouse faster than torso can turn, your mouse is "slipping". With arm lock off mouse is tied to arm movement rate, wich is way faster, and torso is following arms with it's maximum turn rate.

I set my mouse sensitivity so i can twst easily in both sides, and then use dpi reduction button for precision aiming.

#5 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

What is your mouse set at?

My old mouse would show the DPI level but my new one does not.

I was told that their is a math formula to figure out the ratio of mouse sensitivity to your DPI.

Also, I was told that if your reticle is moving much faster then it should be your settings are off.

Part of it is just remembering to do it. I had wrist surgery last year and I got out of practice.

Edited by LikeUntoBuddha, 20 August 2018 - 09:04 AM.

#6 Romperland

Rookie

• The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:24 AM

I cant remember where I saw the list for the DPI/Mouse sensitivity, but for my DPI setting at 1200 it was suggested for .2-.3 for sensitivity. After trying it out, I now have my sensitivity below the recommended setting for my DPI, and will probably be lowering it some more as I find when aiming mid or long range moving my mouse slightly will cause my reticle to move pass my target all too quickly.

Ultimately I believe it is more a personal preference than a mathematical solve.

As for torso twisting, unlocking arms is best way to go, imo. Unlock for twist, lock for alpha strike.

#7 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:14 PM

A big part of my problem is trying to do constant fire instead of like you are saying, Alpha, Twist, Alpha, Twist. So while I'm giving constant damage, my foe is taking a lot of mine on his sides and arms and I take most of his in my center torso.

Looking at my videos I see that happening over and over.

And for most mechs, it is Twist just one side.

I need to go to the testing grounds and maybe even the academy to practice Twisting and then (this important for me) getting perfectly back on the target and Twisting again.

Thanks!

#8 Joe Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:22 PM

I suggest recording matches. Not only can you critique yourself buddies can give pointers. I thought i was torso twisting enough. Recorded a game and a friend pointed out that i only twisted to the same side. In addition to damage spread you can turn a dead arm(or leg) to the enemy to soak up damage centurion style to protect a heavily weaponized side.

#9 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:52 AM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 05 September 2018 - 05:14 PM, said:

I need to go to the testing grounds and maybe even the academy to practice Twisting and then (this important for me) getting perfectly back on the target and Twisting again.

I like Tourmaline Desert for testing out my builds. I've got a specific run I make to test my builds, but for you the Atlas, Cataphract, Jenner, Awesome, and Cicada have open spaces around them where you can work on approaching with a burst alpha, twist to catch an imaginary return alpha, and twisting back for a second alpha all while running at full speed.

It's also a hotter map so it'll help make sure your build is cold enough to use even on the hotter maps.

Edit: One thing you might also want to check out is whether you're presenting your side torso properly. In the testing grounds make an attack on a mech, twist to protect, then stop. Hit F5 and fly the camera out of your mech and position it where the enemy mech is located and see what they're seeing. You might find that you're twisting properly, you might find you're twisting too little, or you might find you're twisting too much.

Edited by Ruccus, 06 September 2018 - 12:58 AM.

#10 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:27 AM

F-5. I will try that. I use the same testing grounds, :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users