I Hate Faction Play - I Only Lose

53 replies to this topic

#1 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle Eastside

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:03 PM

Ok, lets just assume for the sake of argument that I am the worst player to ever have played MWO in the history of the game.

Now that we got that out of the way, why is it that my win/loss ratio in faction is less than 10%?Seriously? I am nothing but a punching bag for the other team. If you see me on your team you are going to lose.

I have no idea why. I am running around, shooting enemies, dropping artie strikes on them, capping, sharing armor. You know, doing things like, say, a team mate would. Doesn't seem to matter.

I may as well be AFK. Come to think of it, even if I was AFK you'd think I'd be on a good team at least once in a while that would carry the win without me.

So don't tell me that I have to do better. I am only one of the 12 players. That means even if I'm the WORST PLAYER EVER I should only account for less than 9% of the total team strength and ability. If I won every game I sure couldn't take all the credit, so spare me.

Why do I have to play Faction Play for over 4 hours to get a win? Must I join a clan to win at faction play? Then I can mercilessly slaughter the disorganized masses, too? Is that really the ONLY way to win at faction play?

Heavy sigh - kiss the special event goodbye I guess and go back to my regular enjoyment of the quick matches instead.

#2 Xavier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:20 PM

problem is you are dropping as a solo pilot

what you need to do is find a units comms somewhere and join them FP isnt meant to be played as 12 solos and instead needs to be played as a 12 man with collective strategy and goals....you may be a good pilot and doing all the right things but if you arent synergizing with your team all your efforts become irrelevant

#3 ApexSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 125 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX USA

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:44 PM

View PostShmoken, on 19 August 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

So don't tell me that I have to do better. I am only one of the 12 players.

Stop being one of the 12 players my friend and start being 1/12th of the team. It's the only way to play FP that is satisfying. There are many units that will invite you into comms if you treat that with respect.

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:06 PM

That means even if I'm the WORST PLAYER EVER I should only account for less than 9% of the total team strength and ability.

One player who is a liability can have much more of a negative affect than 9%.

Bringing sub-par builds, not knowing how to share armour/trade, dying without really doing much - those things have far greater impact than you might thing.

End of the day FP is not QP. You should not play solo, you should work as a team. Just because you think you are doing all of the good things doesn't mean you are - I see it all the time from players etc.

Dropped today in a 6-7man most of the time. Even against 12mans they were wins while our 'Solo' guys barely did 500dmg over 20mins. So yeah it just depends on, the team.

#5 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:38 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 19 August 2018 - 10:06 PM, said:

One player who is a liability can have much more of a negative affect than 9%.

Bringing sub-par builds, not knowing how to share armour/trade, dying without really doing much - those things have far greater impact than you might thing.

End of the day FP is not QP. You should not play solo, you should work as a team. Just because you think you are doing all of the good things doesn't mean you are - I see it all the time from players etc.

Dropped today in a 6-7man most of the time. Even against 12mans they were wins while our 'Solo' guys barely did 500dmg over 20mins. So yeah it just depends on, the team.

With the way respawns work to magnify the impact of teamwork (for good or bad) a single player who is way up either side of the spectrum can have a much larger impact on the results. For example a truly excellent player may get killed by bad luck but he's still got 3 more mechs to carry in. Conversely a particularly bad player who doesn't lock targets, brings terrible builds, etc. can influence poor team choices ('hey, I've got this other guy following me so I'll move up a bit. He's on the left so I'll know if anyone comes that way'.... but when the guy doesn't actually target enemies or notify the team and then does almost no useful damage he just dragged 1 or 2 other players down with him).

You end up with 2 or 3 terribad pugs on a team and you'll absolutely doom the team to failure. As I'm sure you've seen even 4-6 strong players with 4-6 absolute terribads will lose to 12 mediocre people who play as a team.

@Shmoken -

we all sucked at first. We were all terrible. Nobody walked into MWO knowing how to play well. Playing as part of a group isn't about 'stomping pugs'. Humans learn by experience and from other humans. Playing with others who are good at the game is how you get good. You don't get your drivers license by inventing the wheel, combustion engine and the automobile and then on your own creating a complete set of road rules that happen to be what everyone else does. You take classes and people teach you.

Dedicated solo players don't learn good habits. They don't learn how to win matches in FW because FW matches are won by teamwork. Group up to play FW and learn how to get better. Once you know you'll have more success pugging because you'll have learned what wins and why.

#6 UnKnownPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:02 PM

https://www.reddit.c...coming_edition/
Here is a link to VOIP hubs where units hang out, go find one which is online when you are, join them for some FP games as a team member, ask questions about builds, tactics, etc.
Almost all units will actively help you out if you ask, just take that first step.

Also, if you notice a bunch of guys on your side with the same unit tag, ask them what comms they are on and join them there.

#7 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:37 AM

New Event - new ranting Threads from Solo Puggers...

Read this Thread to learn more:
https://mwomercs.com...urn-people-off/

#8 Sneaky Ohgoorchik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:58 AM

I remember having such problem myself for a while. Im still terrible, but it was a time when i played for a week in FP never winning a game. So, i had to figure out how to fix it. And the problem i had was: too much critisizing myself. Here is a quick guide to self respect:
1. I guess you blaming yourself for it. Stop doing it now.
2. If alone: Go mercs. Look at the win progress. Join the winners. Blame your team for losing this time. It was all along your team.
3. In match: You are going with the team and die. Don't do it until you want it. (Jokes aside, I do believe, that a bad brawler is effectively an illusion of a brawler, more dangerous for your own team)
4. Join a unit. So you can blame them.
5. Leave a unit after a week of play. Cause they suck and already told you everything they knew.
6. Build and upgrade something to top notch status. So you can say it sucks, not you.
7. You really need only one good mech in your deck, but super alphastrike assault. Even a trial one would be ok. So you can cripple an enemy, get damage or kill and blame your team for not pulling the win you gave them.
8. And then another one.
9. Play luRMs.
10. Post your ****** builds on forums. Cause everyone around has worse.
11. Teach noobs while being an sub average player.

#9 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:13 AM

Join a unit if you want to have fun in faction play. Many "training units" don't stomp puggles 100% of the time, there are several units out there that have a lot of newer players so when they run faction play drops there's like 4-5 good players and many newer players, so the games are usually somewhat close, but you still usually win in the end.

#10 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:03 AM

Ok, lets just assume for the sake of argument that I am the worst player to ever have played MWO in the history of the game.

Now that we got that out of the way, why is it that my win/loss ratio in faction is less than 10%?Seriously? I am nothing but a punching bag for the other team. If you see me on your team you are going to lose.

I have no idea why. I am running around, shooting enemies, dropping artie strikes on them, capping, sharing armor. You know, doing things like, say, a team mate would. Doesn't seem to matter.

I may as well be AFK. Come to think of it, even if I was AFK you'd think I'd be on a good team at least once in a while that would carry the win without me.

So don't tell me that I have to do better. I am only one of the 12 players. That means even if I'm the WORST PLAYER EVER I should only account for less than 9% of the total team strength and ability. If I won every game I sure couldn't take all the credit, so spare me.

Why do I have to play Faction Play for over 4 hours to get a win? Must I join a clan to win at faction play? Then I can mercilessly slaughter the disorganized masses, too? Is that really the ONLY way to win at faction play?

Heavy sigh - kiss the special event goodbye I guess and go back to my regular enjoyment of the quick matches instead.

Well OP you did not tell us one critical factor when playing MWO (your computer specs) I can tell you I started MWO playing on a dual core AMD 4gigs meme and a old Radeon card and even on low settings and 7FPS I could not hit crappola.

So if you cannot play FP or MWO in general it might be your hardware when I upgraded to a I7 4.2 with 16gig and a Nvidia 1080 with ddr5 my FPS running high on MWO never gets below 80 FPS and you get kills and wins a lot easier playing solo or on a team if you have bad hardware or have a 200+ping on any MWO server even a team will not help you get consistent wins.

#11 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

So don't tell me that I have to do better. I am only one of the 12 players. That means even if I'm the WORST PLAYER EVER I should only account for less than 9% of the total team strength and ability.

I regret to inform you that your math is wrong. No offense, I can understand the confusion, it happens a lot. Let's take a look at the AFK situation shall we. If you leave a team 11 v 12, that means without needing to work for it, the opfor can manage a 2v1 even if every other mech manages to tie someone up. Now, if we extrapolate and do the math, we'll find the 2 oft wins, leaving the opfor oppourtunity for a 3v1. Again, math it out, extrapolate. As mentioned earlier, having an unreliable teammate, who the team might take into consideration whilst facing off against the enemy can throw the team off even worse if they cut and run, or refuse to engage to even up a confrontation.

And remember, all of this is assuming some pug drop where the opfor isn't actively trying to engineer an even greater disparity. Oft times you'll drop against a team or just a loose collection of teammates who knows how to maintain engagement and pressure to divide and conquer.

A team is greater than the sum of it's parts. I know, it's not something you oft run into in quickplay, but there's a reason many of us just use Quickplay for build tweaking and testing. It just doesn't do the rest of the game justice.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 20 August 2018 - 07:27 AM.

#12 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:13 AM

Solo dropping is only advised if you are bloody good and looking to break personal highscores :D. Else go drop with a unit/team. Seriously though, soloing is so hard to the point that even dealing 4k damage by yourself does not guarantee you a win. It is all about your luck with the pug-o-lotto. Being able to deal a **** ton of damage just somewhat improves your chances that you might be able to mitigate the slight inferiority of your team compared to the other team and grab a win.

#13 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

I drop as a solo player, I've lost a total of twice in three days..

It's not because you drop solo.

also O.P as your not either Davion or Liao you are not in the special event.

#14 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:41 AM

If you drop solo, expect to lose. I've had some CLOSE games solo where we barely won, and I've single-handedly killed 1/4 of the enemy team. It's often a loss though. Here's the steps to climb out of the FP solo-pug hole though.

1) Be able to consistently do 1k damage -minimum-, closer to 1.5k on average, regardless of situation. I don't care if you're being pushed by a 12 man team of EMP, you should be able to dish out 250 damage per mech minimum. This would make you better than the average puggle, which is important for the next step....

1b) If you can't do above, build better mechs, skill up your mechs, practice your game mechanics in quick play, etc. Do something to get better, because if you can't effectively kill the enemy all the teamwork in the world won't help. Alternatively you can join a training unit. T, HHoD, MS-T, etc. They're all pretty friendly and welcoming, and will help you improve if you don't wanna do it yourself.

2) Solo pug until you see a team of 3+ guys with the same unit tag. If they appear to be doing well in the game, ask if you can join their group for the next drop. Normally, they'll check your damage at the end of the match. If you do 1k+, you're better than a random puggle, so they'll almost always let you in if they have room in the group.

3) Save their TS information, and try to add a few of them to your friends list in-game. Next time you want to do FP, join the TS again, see if they're dropping. Try messaging a few of your in-game friends if you see they have a group to see if they're doing FP. You don't have to be part of their unit, unless they have a full 12 man drop going a rando able to hold his own is vastly preferable to the pug lottery, so you'll get a spot. Some units will kick you though to make room for a unit member if they log on, so just don't be offended if they ask you to leave because they need your spot.

4) Eventually, you'll get invites to groups if you're simply logged on. If you have a large enough friends list, whenever someone tries to form up a FP group they often gather people in their teamspeak, and then if they have slots will send out random invites to people on their friends list.

So yea, it requires some grinding of solo games to build a list of friends to play with, but that's not unreasonable IMO. It's also important that you be willing to jump on TS / Discord when asked, and be able to communicate. If you're not abrasive and can hold your own in game, you'll get plenty of invites and be able to actually enjoy FP.

#15 Xavier

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

everyone's advice here is running along the same vein and i just want to point out what that vein is.

stop dropping FP solo and find a team to synergize with! FP is not a solo players game nor should it be.

#16 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

Dropping solo into FP - as I did today - is just an exercise in frustration.

#17 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:19 AM

Solo dropping = odds stacked (often dramatically/impossibly) against you. Sure you might get in some amusing pug v pug matches on occasion (especially during events when PUG v pug is more common..I had a few fun Pug drops in this event)....but you are going to often just get your brains beat out. So, if you like the adventure of flying solo or with a buddy or two, no one is stopping you (although many vets wish PGI would)....just don’t expect to win a lot and then you won’t be disappointed. As nearly everyone has said...it’s a team based mode (as it should be)

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 20 August 2018 - 10:21 AM.

#18 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:37 AM

View PostKingCobra, on 20 August 2018 - 06:03 AM, said:

So if you cannot play FP or MWO in general it might be your hardware when I upgraded to a I7 4.2 with 16gig and a Nvidia 1080 with ddr5 my FPS running high on MWO never gets below 80 FPS and you get kills and wins a lot easier playing solo or on a team if you have bad hardware or have a 200+ping on any MWO server even a team will not help you get consistent wins.

Waaaay over the top, an 1600x and a 580 will do just as fine and is half the price.
That said, i don't have an improvement in my k/d or w/l ration switching back and forth between a dell notebook which gives me 20-25fps on low settings, low resolution and 15" display and a higher gaming pc which gives me 70+ fps on highest settings, HD on 29".

OP, if you want to win, join a group. It's that simple.
If you go solo and if you're bad, chances are you're dragging your team further down.
Even if you're really good, your team might drag you down.
Being good at the game does not let your team win per se. Especially in conquest/domination matches.
I've often lost with 3k+ damage and 10-15 kills solo.
But i've waaay more often won in a good communicating group with 1k damage and 2 kills.
Teamwork is OP in Faction Play.

#19 Iron Buccaneer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:18 AM

I've got several accounts. Lots more than I should. I have one that has perfectly reasonable mastered mechs that I usually do at 1000+ damage on. I call targets, used strikes and UAVs, and always relay important intel to my team with map grid locations and I still loose on that account constantly. I have other accounts where I drop whatever mechs I can or even trials and struggle to break 500 damage. Of course I play the same way but I don't loose nearly as often. All solo drops. Sometimes it's just bad luck. Solo dropping is always a crap shoot.

Edited by Iron Buccaneer, 20 August 2018 - 11:19 AM.

#20 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:19 AM

Must I join a clan to win at faction play? Then I can mercilessly slaughter the disorganized masses, too? Is that really the ONLY way to win at faction play?

Yes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users