53 replies to this topic

#21 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:28 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 20 August 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

Waaaay over the top, an 1600x and a 580 will do just as fine and is half the price.
That said, i don't have an improvement in my k/d or w/l ration switching back and forth between a dell notebook which gives me 20-25fps on low settings, low resolution and 15" display and a higher gaming pc which gives me 70+ fps on highest settings, HD on 29".

I guess ymmv. Last year I upgraded from an ancient laptop to a shiny new desktop and saw my performance take a big leap.

#22 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle Eastside

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:29 AM

Ok, I get it. Solo drops in FP = Recipe for Disaster. Best served piping hot as coherent light straight to the face.

Oddly, I feel better now. Thanks all!

#23 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:38 AM

View PostShmoken, on 20 August 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

Ok, I get it. Solo drops in FP = Recipe for Disaster. Best served piping hot as coherent light straight to the face.

And for explanation:

You don't need to join an unit at all. It is mostly enough to have FP-Friends in your friendslist and ask for a spot. Thats all.

You join a group, there are some other guys, you enjoy the drop with them, you add them as friend.

Next time you go LFG and they probably will pick you up.

#24 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:32 PM

View PostShmoken, on 20 August 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

There are a few extremely strong players who can combine carrying hard with successfully taking charge, and they do win when solo dropping. There are more who are simply good enough to pump out amazing enough personal scores to feel satisfied despite losing most matches, and then there are a lot who are strong enough to carry teams to wins in small groups of 2-4.

So there are two ways to win, either you are organized or you are very very good. The worse of a player you are the more organized and in the bigger group you should be, the better you get the smaller groups and less organized you can get and finally when extremely good you can graduate to successfully solo dropping.

In other words solo dropping is the final and hardest challenge you should put yourself through, most new FP players tend to do this in the opposite order for some reason, and THAT is indeed a recipe for failure.

I mean I get it and I feel for you. You're new, you don't have the contacts or the unit yet, population is low so it's not easy to build up either. It's rough as hell to start out with FP.

Once you get into a unit you like and get to play matches against other units with both teams coordinating however, that is the most fun MWO has to offer. Like, it's super fun, for realzies.

Edited by Sjorpha, 20 August 2018 - 01:37 PM.

#25 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:05 PM

1) I'm pretty sure I was the worst player in this game and I've probably hit my ceiling. (don't try taking that from me)

2) Having a better PC and download and upload speed might not help at all. I'd like to find out one day just for the heck of it. A number of players seem to want and get better PCs and I assume there is a reason.

Playing on a PS4, everyone is on a semi-equal footing. It is hard to believe that a crap PC like mine is as good as some of the upper range ones other have. I'm not a good player and I do not see well. I'm thinking a much better video card would help.

#26 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:42 PM

Some day, many moons from now, you will learn the art of pugwarrior online.

Edited by C H E E K I E Z, 20 August 2018 - 04:44 PM.

#27 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle Eastside

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:18 PM

Well, been hanging out in the LFG for over an hour, banging around looking for a unit and getting stomped in FP all evening, so no real progress to report.

Got to see my team of mutts go up against a team that was made up of two units with 6 in each unit so we pretty well got slaughtered. How come MM didn't put the two units on different sides?

How do I get into a unit? How long does LFG take?

I have to say, there is no real transition from Quick Play to FP as far as I can tell.

BTW - I am not new to MWO. Every time I try Faction Play I get turned off and quit for a while. With the event on I've decided to try a bit harder. Maybe if the daily MC award applied to scouting and not just invasion it would be a bit more fair for us "Pugs" trying to cross over.

#28 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:22 PM

You must just be on a terrible losing streak. I've been soloing the last few days and have probably got around 40% wins.

I don't think anyone will disagree the game does nothing to help people find units to drop with.

#29 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:28 PM

View PostShmoken, on 20 August 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

Well, been hanging out in the LFG for over an hour, banging around looking for a unit and getting stomped in FP all evening, so no real progress to report.

Got to see my team of mutts go up against a team that was made up of two units with 6 in each unit so we pretty well got slaughtered. How come MM didn't put the two units on different sides?

I have to say, there is no real transition from Quick Play to FP as far as I can tell.

BTW - I am not new to MWO. Every time I try Faction Play I get turned off and quit for a while. With the event on I've decided to try a bit harder. Maybe if the daily MC award applied to scouting and not just invasion it would be a bit more fair for us "Pugs" trying to cross over.

Matchmaking can't put those 6 mans on different sides, because if you queue up as steiner, you only drop on the steiner side. So they won't auto balance by putting someone on the kurita side.

If you're not having luck finding people in game, try using some teamspeak servers.

https://www.reddit.c...coming_edition/

I recommend the Davion and Steiner TS servers as good places to check out, though it's pretty late tonight and might be quieting down.

#30 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:55 PM

LFG is never really used.

Join a faction, then join the factions teamspeak/discord server. Every faction will have one. Most the time its listed in the recruitment section on the forum.

When you join there people will group up in 12 man mix teams. These teams will be better than 12 man pugs but not the best. You will still get killed most the time. Even 12man v 12man is not balanced.

Some time after this you can join the unit of the players you like to play with on that server. Dont rush into joining a unit or you will end up somewhere you dont want to be.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 20 August 2018 - 11:56 PM.

#31 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 20 August 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

I guess ymmv. Last year I upgraded from an ancient laptop to a shiny new desktop and saw my performance take a big leap.

Well playing on a decent PC is obviously a gamechanger. Not sure how ancient your laptop was, for me the difference between 25 fps and 70+ isn't impacting the way i play the game much. The tresshold might be a bit lower.

Of course, playing with a high resolution and high settings is a lot more fun.

#32 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostAppogee, on 20 August 2018 - 09:35 AM, said:

Dropping solo into FP - as I did today - is just an exercise in frustration.

im not seeing it. my scores have been really high as of late. didnt need no team and no comms to do that. not to say that if i didnt join a team it wouldnt improve my scores but i dont really need to in order to enjoy fp. you do kind of have to function as a team though, if somone takes command go with it, help your team mates, dont throw people under the bus, play to win, and you will have a good time.

#33 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 22 August 2018 - 08:15 AM, said:

Well playing on a decent PC is obviously a gamechanger. Not sure how ancient your laptop was, for me the difference between 25 fps and 70+ isn't impacting the way i play the game much. The tresshold might be a bit lower.

Of course, playing with a high resolution and high settings is a lot more fun.

Both the fps and higher resolution make a difference. It's much easier to hit individual components when you can see them. I too went from around 25 fps to 70+, which makes it far easier to hold lasers on a component of a moving mech.

#34 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 22 August 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

Both the fps and higher resolution make a difference. It's much easier to hit individual components when you can see them. I too went from around 25 fps to 70+, which makes it far easier to hold lasers on a component of a moving mech.

My K/D ratio went up from 1.30 to 1.34 or so.
Like i said, having a good PC is obviously a plus. It's just that it did not impact my stats much.

#35 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:50 AM

I hate to say this but....

What if FW required a 12man to drop? Everyone went I to their respective LFG and built teams. When you drop you're now in group after a match. Geoup lead belongs to group leader of the largest group when it started. You want to ditch a pug you remove them after the match.

Effectively you are in a 12man when the drop starts and you're now in group when the drop ends. Nobody uses LFG because it's grabbing strangers at random. If the expectation is that you'll be in a 12man every time you play FW it will change a lot. Matches stop being disposable and, bluntly, your teammates will be deciding to keep you or not after the match. Conversely unless you want to wait longer you'll need to help your teammates, new and old, to improve your odds.

We need to change how FW is approached. That you're in a 12man team needs to be the default mentality.

#36 Holy Jackson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:34 PM

just saying that if we saw you in our teamspeak server we'd be happy to take you on some drops. Its fine if you're a bad player even. Its not fine if you're a toxic player. Anyway, look us up. Www.Mercstar.net

#37 Hanky Spam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 22 August 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

My K/D ratio went up from 1.30 to 1.34 or so.
Like i said, having a good PC is obviously a plus. It's just that it did not impact my stats much.

That's what I experienced too.
I've upgraded my system last year fall from a Core 2 Quad to a 8700k. FPS went up from 20-25 FPS to 90+ FPS.
And like Kube said, you can aim and track components much better with a good computer due to the higher FPS.

The consequence is a higher average K/D and more KMDs and under the bottom line I could also break my own damage records, eventhough it doesn't mean that you will do in literally every drop top scores...

#38 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

My avg matchscore went from ~330 to 390 when I upgraded. Biggest difference was in very fast knife-fights, where low FPS essentially left me guessing when it came to shot placement. When it came to ranged fights, I was playing on a 15" laptop at 720p, which made it hard to see much more than "red square with something gray inside" unless I used Adv Zoom. Now I can see your paint job and decals.

#39 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:36 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 August 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

im not seeing it. my scores have been really high as of late. didnt need no team and no comms to do that. not to say that if i didnt join a team it wouldnt improve my scores but i dont really need to in order to enjoy fp. you do kind of have to function as a team though, if somone takes command go with it, help your team mates, dont throw people under the bus, play to win, and you will have a good time.

That's not my experience. My experience is endless losses because PUGs don't understand the mode, always play it like Skirmish, lose to objectives when they're in front on kills, or loss on kills because they ignore all advice I give them on positioning/targeting/not reinforcing, etc.

But I'm glad to hear that others find it more viable.

#40 Sneaky Ohgoorchik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:41 AM

View PostAppogee, on 22 August 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

That's not my experience. My experience is endless losses because PUGs don't understand the mode, always play it like Skirmish, lose to objectives when they're in front on kills, or loss on kills because they ignore all advice I give them on positioning/targeting/not reinforcing, etc.

But I'm glad to hear that others find it more viable.

Why do you expect them to listen you? Why don't you drop with your friends?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users