Awesome Assault? Or Overweight Out Of Shape Atlas Sized Heavy?

BattleMechs Balance Gameplay

16 replies to this topic

#1 AussieTigerOtter

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:34 AM

Lets Be Blunt, As it currently stands the Awesome Series of Assault Class Battlemechs...
Currently Are not So much Assault's, As they are Overweight Out of Shape Atlas sized Mediums who Couch potato'd their way though Netflix for 3 years without so much as moving to get the next bag of chips,

When one hears the term "Assault Mech" Their imagination creates visions of a massive wall of steel Buttered with firepower and served to the enemy in the form of an unstoppable unmovable object bent of feasting upon the enemy's tears and causing mass destruction, but then you get to the awesome's.... Yes...
This is what i Saw upon far closer scrutiny, this is the best i could do with the parts i had and the armour balancing around the mech i felt comfortable with, notice how soft the front is...
[smurfy]https://mwo.smurfy-n...fccb4c1a188a22b[/smurfy]

My Dragon, And Thanatos have more Armour than my Awesome, In fact, most heavies have more armour than my awesome.
My thanatos has almost double the frontal Armour as a matter of fact!
Apologies the Mechlab website wouldn't let me make my build correctly... here is the Armour for the waist up anyway
Thanatos
H 14
RA 55 RT 74 CT 106 LT 74 LA 55
R 10 R 10 R 10

Heck even my dragon has more Armour than my Awesome

What compounds this issue is the fact that the hitboxes for the LT and RT are the same size as the CT, From ANY Distance enemy's can choose how to dismantle your $8M+ Assault mech.
Further more, the walking style of the awesome is "Stompy,Stompy Uppy Downy", In stead of swaying left and right, the awesome just bobs up and down like an energizer bunny, thus making it easy to create immense damage to the torso's, Even more, The torso twist speed even with a Standard 300 engine is Abysmal Especially when the awesome's Grand Girth and Portly Friar Belly are factored in.
Damage Spreading with this Assault IS IMPOSSIBLE! Much less INPRACTICABLE
The only way i can survive long enough to deal meaningful damage of 400-600 is if i Take cover, Hide for the whole game, then ambush the often heavily damaged enemy's suddenly and alpha strike spam them to death, popping cool-shots like they are going out of fashion.
at which point i'm often dismantled shortly after.

The awesome has terrible speed, Abysmal Armour, and hitboxes the size of crimson straight
and i'm fine with this speed and hitbox issues, we just need to have a little more Armour so that we can keep in the fight for longer and be of use to our team, every player I've ran into tonight has given me pity upon seeing how i'm piloting the awesome, that or told me to buy a better assault and how i wasted my Cbills on one

All the awesome needs to be Viable for ANYTHING Other than a lrm and PPC boat Assault? Thus not Incurring the Rath of your fellow teammates, IS...
Armour Buffs.
Something like this will do possibly, we just need more durability.
H +0
RA+5 RT+12 CT+20 LT+12 LA+5
R+5 R+9 R+5

often times i get hit once and my torso(S) Are reduced to being red Armour if i'm unlucky (most of the time this IS so) i'm reduced to stripped Armour.
i barely survive long enough to make 125,000 Cbills a match.
Piloting the awesome is one of the most guilty feeling experiences I've had piloting a mech in MWO.
Simply because i feel i'm letting the team down just by playing.
I've been wanting to sell it but every time my cursor hovers over the sell button i get all sentimental and cant do it because its the first mech i ever bought in MWO its sentimental to me, and an achievement to my grind, but playing it is such a terrible experience it makes me feel like I've let my team down and i'm not at my best...
;-;

Welp, I've said my two cents, if you agree with me and think the awesome needs to have the buff hammer broken over its head to fix it in some way, then comment below!
We need to have these poor mechs fixed, they've been obsolete and sad for way to long!

#2 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:55 AM

What you have said it true but it has been that way for the original 12 mechs in MWO for 5 years and I don't think PGI will ever fix the original 12 IS mechs to compete with the newer mechs.

Even when back 5 years ago PGI announces hey we doubled the armor on all mechs I personally don't think they ever did in real game play they just lowered the crit chance on weapons that you would get cored out.

The only way I ever found to play the awesome and not get cored in 1-3 shots is extreme long range with ERLS-PPCS-or LURMS or a combination of both.

MWO is a strange mech game lights like the (Parana 12 machineguns)-(locust small pulse lasers)-(commando) can kill a assault in just a few seconds because the back armor on mechs is so weak and assaults are so un-agile.

So there it is the Awesome is outclassed by lights LOLOLOLO PGI has some strange ways to balance a game its totally annoying how they think a light or small medium should solo a large assault mech even in BattleTech lore no sane MechWarrior pilot would even try to take on a assault without a lance of smaller mechs or support vehicles.

P.S the original 12 IS mechs also have such horrible front hit boxes there like shooting at a huge barn door which is easy to hit so torso twisting and only show a side profile when at all possible in all 12 original is mechs.

Edited by KingCobra, 20 August 2018 - 05:57 AM.

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:59 AM

View PostAussieTigerOtter, on 20 August 2018 - 05:34 AM, said:

All the awesome needs to be Viable for ANYTHING Other than a lrm and PPC boat Assault? Thus not Incurring the Rath of your fellow teammates, IS...
Armour Buffs.

I’d argue it needs more armor than that even (what it really needs is better hard points but that isn’t going to happen) especially if you are running it as a PPC boat.
But PGI does not agree.
Even in the latest PTS it gets very slight agility improvements (on par with the Boar’s Head Atlas). So if they think it is in so little need of improvement that a minimal agility boost is what they are willing to test on it, I doubt they will suddenly give it Cataphract level defensive quirks (remember Chris thinks quirks are an aspect of power creep even on crappy mechs that need some power creep to be viable). So you are left with a choice: play the 8R LRM boat like everyone else seems to be of late, or strip em and shelve em and play something that doesn’t have the Awsome’s magical combination of awful hitboxes and horrid hard points. As PGI likes to note on occassion, balance is all about player choice, and those are your choices.

Edited by Bud Crue, 20 August 2018 - 06:02 AM.

#4 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:05 AM

The Awesome is fine, it's a serviceable PPC boat (the 8Q with 3 HPPC is decently fun) and the 8R is one of the best LRM boats in the game. It's purpose is long range fire support, and it fills that. The biggest issue is that quick play considers an 80 ton assault mech the equal of a 100 ton one for the purposes of matchmaking, and an Awesome definitely doesn't have the punch or armor of an Annihilator or Fafnir. That's a quick play problem though, because for Faction Play the lighter weight of the Awesome means you can take 3 assault mechs in a single drop, and it's good for that purpose.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:19 AM

Awesome already has huge amount of torsi structure quirks. I personally prefer more offensive quirks, perhaps bringing back its old PPC quirks.

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:30 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 20 August 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

The Awesome is fine, it's a serviceable PPC boat (the 8Q with 3 HPPC is decently fun) and the 8R is one of the best LRM boats in the game. It's purpose is long range fire support, and it fills that. The biggest issue is that quick play considers an 80 ton assault mech the equal of a 100 ton one for the purposes of matchmaking, and an Awesome definitely doesn't have the punch or armor of an Annihilator or Fafnir. That's a quick play problem though, because for Faction Play the lighter weight of the Awesome means you can take 3 assault mechs in a single drop, and it's good for that purpose.

Don’t think I’ve ever run 3 in FP, but I have done two (back when they had better quirks and I still played CW outside of events), but even then that was only on Boreal. Nowadays I don’t think I would ever run even 1, unless the call was for LRMs. I think I would rather run 3 Orions (with all that lovely armor) or Even three BKs if I am going to bring mechs that need to nearly fully expose to vomit energy (heck the Orion can do LRMS pretty well too). More often though I would run 2 Battlmasters, maybe a Black Knight but more probably a Warhammer if I wanted that kind of a deck.

Come to think of it, I don’t think I have seen a single Awsome played in any FP match in any of the last several FP events, but I see an awful lot of BMs and Warhammers.

#7 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:46 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 20 August 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

Don’t think I’ve ever run 3 in FP, but I have done two (back when they had better quirks and I still played CW outside of events), but even then that was only on Boreal. Nowadays I don’t think I would ever run even 1, unless the call was for LRMs. I think I would rather run 3 Orions (with all that lovely armor) or Even three BKs if I am going to bring mechs that need to nearly fully expose to vomit energy (heck the Orion can do LRMS pretty well too). More often though I would run 2 Battlmasters, maybe a Black Knight but more probably a Warhammer if I wanted that kind of a deck.

Come to think of it, I don’t think I have seen a single Awsome played in any FP match in any of the last several FP events, but I see an awful lot of BMs and Warhammers.

I didn't necessarily mean you could run 3 awesomes, but I have run 3 80-ton assaults (Victors) + a commando, it's a lot of fun. Swapping a Victor for an Awesome would give you some decent ranged punch if needed, which could be cool.

Imagine a team running 12 decks, all 2 VTR-9S, 1 AWS-8R, 1 COM-2D. Every wave could have 8 victors, 3 awesomes for LRM support, and a NARC commando. That would be a pretty brutal team to fight!

#8 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:51 AM

the Awesome not bad ...only very difficult to play, more as other Assaults...more Hide and peek , more use Cover and more in the Second line or with LRMs as 2th Weapons and not in FW.The Lore said Assaults 3025 very rare ...yes all destroyed in MWO

#9 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:53 AM

Ever since the infamous dragonbowling incident and the butthurt that ensued melee has been a pipe dream. Assaults should be able to punt kick that annoying urbbie or piranha over the HPG transmission dish. Failing that even having a 25 or 30 ton mech colliding at high speed with a 85 to 100 ton assault should result in some assault damage and a lite mech in smoking pieces.

But hey blame the engine, blame the math, blame what ever.

#10 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:58 AM

with this old mechanics the most im thinking today demolished her own Team by the Spawn before seeing her first red Dorito .

#11 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:06 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 20 August 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

I didn't necessarily mean you could run 3 awesomes, but I have run 3 80-ton assaults (Victors) + a commando, it's a lot of fun. Swapping a Victor for an Awesome would give you some decent ranged punch if needed, which could be cool.

Imagine a team running 12 decks, all 2 VTR-9S, 1 AWS-8R, 1 COM-2D. Every wave could have 8 victors, 3 awesomes for LRM support, and a NARC commando. That would be a pretty brutal team to fight!

Love the Victor deck. Just not keen on the Awsomes, I’d rather take just about anything else. It’s not as bad as the barn door days, but its still just so easy to hit and so much needs to be exposed to do any hitting. And at my skill scrub level that’s like pre-gimping myself.

Tom...be nice now.

#12 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:34 AM

#13 AussieTigerOtter

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:33 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 20 August 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

Isnt faction play dead, i can never get jnto a FP match, its always empty ;-;
Trust me, j want to grind madcats and executioners into paste xD

#14 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

Play the 80 ton Gargoyle. Then get back to me.

#15 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:51 AM

View PostAussieTigerOtter, on 20 August 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

It's very much alive... you just gotta play during primetime (8pm-2am EST) to get games, and you usually need to be in a group of 6 or more so you don't get queue jumped by larger groups. If you're dropping solo... be prepared to wait.

Edited by Eisenhorne, 20 August 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#16 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:55 AM

View PostAussieTigerOtter, on 20 August 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

in the Moment its a event only Davion vs Liao ..all players thats not switch to this Faction not can play in this time

#17 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:56 AM

View PostAussieTigerOtter, on 20 August 2018 - 05:34 AM, said:

When one hears the term "Assault Mech" Their imagination creates visions of a massive wall of steel Buttered with firepower and served to the enemy in the form of an unstoppable unmovable object bent of feasting upon the enemy's tears and causing mass destruction, but then you get to the awesome's.... Yes...
And that's the wrong way to look at it, because even the actual front line assaults do not survive being ran with that kind of rambo attitude. The Awesome is not one of those to begin with - it's a ranged weapons platform.

This is what i Saw upon far closer scrutiny, this is the best i could do with the parts i had and the armour balancing around the mech i felt comfortable with, notice how soft the front is...
[smurfy]https://mwo.smurfy-n...fccb4c1a188a22b[/smurfy]
Eww. Bad build.
Use this and learn to ride your heat scale:
https://mwo.smurfy-n...592ba241685107b
https://kitlaan.gitl...bc9fa#s=Weapons

The only way i can survive long enough to deal meaningful damage of 400-600 is if i Take cover, Hide for the whole game, then ambush the often heavily damaged enemy's suddenly and alpha strike spam them to death, popping cool-shots like they are going out of fashion.
Pilot error. The 8R has little to no difficulty in averaging higher than your supposed maximum.

i barely survive long enough to make 125,000 Cbills a match.
Pilot error. The thing prints C-bills.

All the awesome needs to be Viable for ANYTHING Other than a lrm and PPC boat Assault? Thus not Incurring the Rath of your fellow teammates, IS... Armour Buffs.
Armor buffs won't help you - the problem is that you're trying to use the mech contrary to its' purpose. The mech already has a niche, if you don't like that niche, find a mech that actually suits your playstyle.

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 20 August 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

the Awesome not bad ...only very difficult to play, more as other Assaults...more Hide and peek , more use Cover and more in the Second line or with LRMs as 2th Weapons and not in FW.The Lore said Assaults 3025 very rare ...yes all destroyed in MWO
The 8R does well enough in FP if you use it on right maps (Polar, Plexus, Caustic).
I dropped with a pair of 8Rs on Polar and Plexus today and broke 1K with each individual AWS by itself. Which in and of itself is unexceptional given the build can break 1.8K. :)

Edited by Horseman, 21 August 2018 - 11:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users