47 replies to this topic

#1 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:02 PM

With no tracking or locking bonuses I really doubt Artemis will be worth one slot one ton on most launchers. Is the community okay with Artemis being a rare item used only on mechs that are hardpoint limited to increase effective firepower where no other solution is possible?

Many patches ago they nerfed all artemis spread reduction because ASRM was deemed too effective. However LRMs got caught up in that nerf.

Would anyone take 2x ALRM15 over 3x LRM10 post patch?

Edited by Spheroid, 20 August 2018 - 12:03 PM.

#2 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:08 PM

Perhaps they should offset it with some other bonus. I wasn't really using it except for on builds using SRM6s with enough tonnage for it.

#3 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:17 PM

I doubt it would matter much. Many of my IS lrm boats go without it already just for faster engine,more ammo,tag,uav etc and I just use the skill tree and go max sensors for target decay/retention. The best tracking for a lrm boat is to be aggressive 300-400m away trying to get and keep locks itself as much as possible using all the equipment it can shove into the mech to get and keep hold locks longer.

The only time I mount any tc or com console is when I troll with a lrm assault as they have the weight to spare vs my catapults. Nothing I hate more than seeing 'pls hold locks' from a mech I know that has at least one E hard point that could mount a tag. Now if I see an cptl-a1 wanting locks I'll go all out for it but expect it to have uavs and/or narc.

#4 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:18 PM

Well I almost never took it on actual LRM boats anyway, since they are indirect fire support only, and generally have less armor than their direct-fire brothers. So I don't see much difference there.

The AWS-8R, the most popular missile boat I see, will continue to use ALRM15's because it has quirks for the 15's specifically. Same with the Trebuchet, and any other mech with a limit on missile slots.

#5 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

Artemis has always been mostly used for SRMs. So I don't think the change is going to be meaningful anyway.

I think the tightening of locking angle is going to be a much more important issue to many of our LRM boaters, Maybe you can no longer play with your foot?

#6 brroleg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 245 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:35 PM

Im more concerned about lock on angle nerf. It directly nerfs aggressive lrm players, while potato 1000m lrm players remains unpunished, they holded croshair on the target all the time anyway, while aggressive lrm players will loose his ability to torso twist while holding lock.

#7 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:38 PM

I agree that removing lock time and tracking strength would balance LRMs and reduce spam.

For. Indirect. Fire.

Los should still give those bonuses. Aggressive, active lurmers who get their own locks aren't the problem, you can always shoot back at those guys. Deal with the vicarious spamlords. The hardworking lurmers are being thrown under a bus with this change.

#8 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

Artemis lock on time decoupled with streaks and ATMs would do it better than taking it away entirely, but they said the code for that is impossible because all lock on weapons are the same...(Deerp)

#9 Orion ji

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

Adapt and overcome.
It won't stop muh LRMtrain ya a**holes.
Glad I didn't spend any more money though so thanks for making up my mind for me.Posted Image

#10 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:16 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 20 August 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

After the spread reduction, artemis was only worth for the locktimereduction.
Now if would take 2x20 instead, nearly the same spread but 1/3 more tubes.

3x10 sounds not that bad, if you can counter the ghostheat or dont have lots of ams.
I liked my 4x10 dog, but mass ams killed it.

Maybe take 2x15 and more ammo or a bigge engine or more heatsinks.

Edited by Kroete, 20 August 2018 - 01:17 PM.

#11 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

Lrms are farming tools, not killing weapons. Better to have non artemis to carry more ammo, especially if you have narcer doing all the aiming for you anyways.

If anything this will hurt streaks most imo, which arent particularly good as it is

#12 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:00 PM

Nope.

View Postbrroleg, on 20 August 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

Im more concerned about lock on angle nerf. It directly nerfs aggressive lrm players, while potato 1000m lrm players remains unpunished, they holded croshair on the target all the time anyway, while aggressive lrm players will loose his ability to torso twist while holding lock.

Yup. We spent a lot of time trying to tell Chis this exact point on the other thread. Upshot is that spudly LRM boating is what PGI wants to reinforce.

Edited by Chados, 20 August 2018 - 03:03 PM.

#13 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

Artemis was pretty much pointless pre-patch, since the spread reduction nerf. Organized units used Narcers anyway.

#14 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:22 PM

I'm personally more upset about the lock angle further tightened by 50%. Now it is completely impossible to lurm bend in any way to get over obstacles.

PGI really should have combined this nerf with better terrain following for guided missiles.

Edited by El Bandito, 20 August 2018 - 06:17 PM.

#15 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

Square peg round hole.
Thanks for nothing PGI.
I would say my wallet is now closed.
But it already is.

#16 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

Not worth using as it only works with los. Might as well take a tag.

#17 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:15 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 20 August 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

I'm personally more upset about the lock angle further tightened by 50%. Now it is completely impossible to lurm bend in any way to get over obstacles.

PGI really should have combined this nerf with better terrain following for guided missiles.

I like the idea of having to damn near put the reticle on the mech to get a lock; but I think once you have a lock it should widen the angle so you can still bend.

If there is any weapon system that needs restricted lock window it is streaks.

#18 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:51 PM

With no tracking or locking bonuses I really doubt Artemis will be worth one slot one ton on most launchers. Is the community okay with Artemis being a rare item used only on mechs that are hardpoint limited to increase effective firepower where no other solution is possible?

Many patches ago they nerfed all artemis spread reduction because ASRM was deemed too effective. However LRMs got caught up in that nerf.

For dedicated LRM boats, that are not frontline mechs, Artemis was always useless, unless they lied to us about bonuses being LOS only.

On non-dedicated mixed LRM boats, this nerf will make it useless.

#19 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:01 AM

Yes, it's pointless.

LRMs are spread inevitably, -25% of spread isn't big of a deal, it's the track strength and Lock-Speed we go after for LRMs. SRMs use the spread bonus, and look what that did for SRMs.

#20 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:09 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 21 August 2018 - 12:01 AM, said:

LRMs are spread inevitably, -25% of spread isn't big of a deal

That spread reduction is the difference between hitting Larm/LT/CT/RT/Rarm
and hitting LT/CT/RT.. it means something, but for a dedicated LRM boat, if you're spraying LRM70, and you're usually in deep cover, Artemis gives you no bonus, since you're out of LOS.

And bringing Artemis is also a difference between LRM70A with 2500 ammo and LRM80 with 3500+ ammo

Edited by Vellron2005, 21 August 2018 - 01:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users