Hbs & Paradox Releases Trailer For Battletech: Flashpoint Expansion (Plus A New Mech Not In Mwo)

28 replies to this topic

#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:17 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 20 October 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

/shrug

I dunno I can keep coming back to MWO. But most single players I get bored of and never touch again. But I got 253 hours out Battletech. I just don't feel like the mini campaigns are going to be enough to keep me engaged. Roguetech has done more to keep me engaged. But even that is getting old.

Wanna play Megamek / MekHQ? I need people to play with for more involved games. Bots make great civilians/background units/etc, but they don't make a great primary protagonist/antagonist.

Been thinking of doing a youtube thing, but the game isn't visually fun to watch. But this guy's giving me some ideas of how to make it interesting and reflect MekHQ / Tabletop's amazing level of depth..

Also makes for a good introduction to the tool.

#22 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:33 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 20 October 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

/shrug

I dunno I can keep coming back to MWO. But most single players I get bored of and never touch again. But I got 253 hours out Battletech. I just don't feel like the mini campaigns are going to be enough to keep me engaged. Roguetech has done more to keep me engaged. But even that is getting old.

The mini campaigns are roughly 30 hours worth of content, so I figure that isn't too bad for $20. They also supposedly have a little bit of lasting consequences so that means that one decision can carry over to another Flashpoint.

Overall I figure it will give the game some more fun content to play.

Also, the addition of the Campaign Mode (free update) means that I can bypass the campaign all together and just do the side missions and Flashpoints right from the start. It will give the vanilla game that bit of a Roguetech feel, but without the overly punishing mechanics.

At the end of the day though, it is up to you if you think it will give you a reason to revisit. I also have about 260 hours into the game, and I have also taken a break from the game. Still, I think the videos make the Flashpoints look intriguing and that is enough to make me want to give it a go. Then again, I did get the Season Pass too, so I have pretty much committed myself anyway :).

#23 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:08 AM

W00t!!!

#24 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:52 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 27 November 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

W00t!!!

And guess what, you can work for PIRATES now! Find a system with pirates and a faction you do not like and just take a contract like with any other faction. Have yet to find a quest chain, but seems solid so far.

#25 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:00 AM

I started a Career Mode playthrough last night. I set it up with the stock difficulty settings (Ironman, no equip comes on mechs, etc...), but upped the pieces of salvage to make a mech up to 5 pieces and I also changed MechWarrior Skill Progression to 'Slow'.

Time to see how this goes Posted Image

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 28 November 2018 - 11:00 AM.

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:09 PM

The axe animation is awesome...and one side step to established lore I am happy to let slide. (Deliberate melee weapons like that are supposedly welded on and fixed. But I like what I saw so much better.)

#27 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:24 PM

View PostKoniving, on 29 November 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

Deliberate melee weapons like that are supposedly welded on and fixed. But I like what I saw so much better.

Most Axes/Hatches are modular weapons but they need to be mounted the same way Bayonets need a bayonet lug.

This was also a very early retcon (why the Hatchetman and Axeman seem to be simply holding their Hatchets like a club) Players did allot of stupid stuff with Hatches, like using the old throwing rules to use hatchets as a free projectile so they changed the construction rules so Hatches need to be attached to the mech vs a one handed clubs. HBS did a great job keeping the Hatchetmans traditional grasp while still making the hatchet fixed with a locking system. Mad props to the artist.

#28 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:30 AM

View PostKoniving, on 29 November 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

The axe animation is awesome...and one side step to established lore I am happy to let slide. (Deliberate melee weapons like that are supposedly welded on and fixed. But I like what I saw so much better.)

I love that animation. The "Switchblade" action of the weapon is glorious to watch.

Like you said, it is a bit or a lore side step, however I also agree that it is something that I am glad to let slide as well. Making it an integral part of the Hatchetman and not just a melee weapon is a good choice for the game IMO.

So far I only have 1 of 5 pieces of a Hatchetman, so getting one is a bit far off. Still, it is one of my goals. It may not be the best medium mech in game, but it is one of the coolest. I need to have one in my lance.

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:45 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 03 December 2018 - 06:30 AM, said:

I love that animation. The "Switchblade" action of the weapon is glorious to watch.

Like you said, it is a bit or a lore side step, however I also agree that it is something that I am glad to let slide as well. Making it an integral part of the Hatchetman and not just a melee weapon is a good choice for the game IMO.

So far I only have 1 of 5 pieces of a Hatchetman, so getting one is a bit far off. Still, it is one of my goals. It may not be the best medium mech in game, but it is one of the coolest. I need to have one in my lance.

While I did say its a bit of a lore stretch, actually I'm not so sure anymore. Hatchets are described as "Welded on dead weight" with a sharp edge rather than a straight up axe. But they never specified whether its welded into a hand (which would be pretty stupid if you think about it, why have a hand at all rather than weld it at the end of the arm?) or welded to a mechanism that will put it into the hand.

Just... something that wasn't really defined before due to the art just having it in the hand.
Though I'd prefer it to be a loose item, with throwing it just being pretty impractical. I do enjoy the idea of the axe being stuck in an enemy, in fact I had dreams of doing a Hunchback versus Centurion where the is the Yen Lo Wang and has the axe of the (one Yen Lo Wang has an Axe, the other Yen Lo has Claws).

Btw, jump to the PGI's new mechs thread I made and give some opinions, I wanna get the ball rolling on that this weekend.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users