Can We Unscrew The Is Large Pulse Now?

12 replies to this topic

#1 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:38 PM

It feels like I'm hitting people with a wet noodle. And sure it comes off cooldown faster, but it doesn't seem worth it given the heat. I haven't playing as much of late. But does anyone else agree?

Probably on both sides pulse lasers could use another look.

Edited by MechaBattler, 24 August 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:39 PM

Srsly, LPL is not at all worth a 2-ton premium over standard Large. Frankly, neither is the cLPL over the Heavy Large.

I'll even accept a duration nerf to get the damage back. 11 damage over 0.85 seconds sounds good to me.

#3 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 02:14 PM

I just realized the difference in cooldown is only .1 difference with the large laser... So 1 damage and .45 shorter duration is worth 2 tons?

And even if you drop LPL for LL. Chances are you're already at your cap for dubs. At least for IS assaults. Combine that with them further weakening the Banshee with their geometry updates. "It can't fit any more". Meanwhile Battlemaster seems to have no problem after it's geo updates! And it's supposed to be 85 tons, which implies it's smaller! STACK THEM UP! Didn't think I'd have to spell that one out...

You know... I try to give PGI the benefit of the doubt. But they really make it harder to not want to plug pull on the spot sometimes.

#4 ACH75

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 02:58 PM

All Pulse lasers should do more damage and generate less heat than standard lasers like it was done with clan MPL

#5 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:12 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 24 August 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

Meanwhile Battlemaster seems to have no problem after it's geo updates! And it's supposed to be 85 tons, which implies it's smaller! STACK THEM UP! Didn't think I'd have to spell that one out....

While I agree that PGI has handled geo updates somewhat irresponsibly, the BLR already had the laser boxes up top where the BNC had little tiny texture stickers jammed together. They had to make a choice between ugly protrusions or moving some of them down. Protrusions are more work, so they moved them.

#6 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

I still dream of pulse lasers having a very short cd.
I would take 1/4th cd and use 1/2 dmg and 1/2 heat as a start :)

#7 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 03:33 PM

Agreed. I would like to see slight buffs to both Clan and IS pulse lasers to make them worth the weight. I would like to see HLL and cerML get small nerfs because they give too much damage for the weight along with small lasers on both sides getting small buffs because in their present state they just suck.

Edited by Rampage, 25 August 2018 - 06:32 PM.

#8 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:52 PM

View PostRampage, on 25 August 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

small lasers on both sides getting small buffs because in their present state they just suck.

How do SLs suck? They're pretty good when used enmass at close range due to their low heat and fast cooldown.

#9 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

View PostQuakeRiley, on 25 August 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

How do SLs suck? They're pretty good when used enmass at close range due to their low heat and fast cooldown.

Because you have so much surplus tonnage there that you can bring much more powerful weapons at that range and still have good enough heat efficiency to kill anything within the expected engagement window faster than the SLs can.

The only real use for SLs is as a poor-man's MPL if you've got hardpoints but not tonnage. And don't get me started on ERSLs, which are even less useful because they have even worse DPS and twice the heat all in exchange for a mere +50 meters over the standard one.

#10 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 03:49 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 25 August 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

I still dream of pulse lasers having a very short cd.
I would take 1/4th cd and use 1/2 dmg and 1/2 heat as a start Posted Image

Wasn't that x-pulse lasers?

#11 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:35 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 26 August 2018 - 03:49 AM, said:

Wasn't that x-pulse lasers?

Depending on game, i guess.
officially the XPulse are the IS response to the Clans having more range on their Pulse lasers, so being basically isERPulse.

If you look at Mech Commander Gold, yes the XPulse where the very fast pulse volleys with low dmg.

If you look at MW3 (which I feel was the MW game with some of the best weapons), the XPulse and Pulse lasers were basically the same, hold for longer beam.
On the other hand, ERLaser were instant hitscan single point weapons rather than beams.

And if you look in the past MW2 games, the Pulse lasers (there were no XPulse) were just firing 2 "bolts" while normal lasers were a single bolt.

MW4... i can not remember, as I always hated the game for dumbing down everything into strange comic style... (even though I played it for years because there was nothing else for MW for so long).

anyway, looking at the micro-pulse laser from the Clans, it looks very fun, but not very efficient (because low dmg) maybe it would be better to just half the CD and keep the rest of the stats.
That way we would have a high dps weapon, but need to use more heatsinks, or use less number of the pulse lasers in the build to use them.

#12 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 August 2018 - 06:12 AM, said:

While I agree that PGI has handled geo updates somewhat irresponsibly, the BLR already had the laser boxes up top where the BNC had little tiny texture stickers jammed together. They had to make a choice between ugly protrusions or moving some of them down. Protrusions are more work, so they moved them.

Why not just leave it as it was?

#13 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:01 PM

I would be willing to trade off duration for more damage. It just does not feel worth 2 tons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users