Heat Cap Vs Dissipation. Please Vote.

35 replies to this topic

Poll: Heat Cap vs Dissipation. Please be civil (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose wisely. Which is the better route to balance high alphas?

1. PTS 2.1 is perfect, release it already! (17 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. PTS 2.0 was better. Learn some firing discipline. (15 votes [22.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.06%

3. PTS 2.1 + Gauss nerf (1 votes [1.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.47%

4. PTS 2.0 + asymetric Dissipation, IS needs more cooling. (7 votes [10.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.29%

5. Voted 45 Heat Cap is the sweetspot. But IS still could use more cooling + Gauss nerf (10 votes [14.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

6. 40 Heat Cap, PTS dissipation, lower overall weapon heat for IS, Gauss nerf (4 votes [5.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

7. 35 heat, LOTS MORE dissipation!!!!... But asymetric :) (7 votes [10.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.29%

8. Screw the PTS, I don't want to learn how to pilot a mech. (1 votes [1.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.47%

9. None of that, I'll make a short essay on why my ideas are better. (6 votes [8.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cypherdrene

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCabo

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:18 AM

Let's gather some data guys, just for farts and giggles.

EDIT: If you feel like the options are not enough or if you'll be offended by, please select the last one and make your case. If it gets liked enough, I'll add it to the list.

Edited by Cypherdrene, 25 August 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#2 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:05 AM

"screw the PTS I don't want to learn how to pilot".....

Yeah, this poll isn't biased at all......

#3 Cypherdrene

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCabo

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:06 AM

View PostSFC174, on 25 August 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

"screw the PTS I don't want to learn how to pilot".....

Yeah, this poll isn't biased at all......

Guess the last two options didn't come up as a joke? :(

#4 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:19 AM

Personally i feel that PTS2.0 was better.

But I also think that some IS weapons could be reduced and Gauss nerfed in generall (e.g. 3 heat for Gauss, 4.5 for HGauss), so o choose that option with 40 cap.

#5 Cypherdrene

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCabo

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

pretty divided voting so far, keep em coming! lets vote until we have a big enough sample, after that, the most voted options will be used for a second poll.

Posted Image

#6 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:24 PM

I would say 40 is definitely better than 50 (50 is basically just the live environment except externals don't count towards capacity), if there were no more tests.

If they're going to try this again, I'd say to try 30-35 capacity, and buff internal heat sinks, since they already buffed externals.

Let players learn how to make a build where they have to actually care about heat management.

#7 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:43 PM

was in my DWF, over heated and it takes almost 20 seconds for it to recover. That's a death sentence and it was responsible for 2 deaths testing. I;m not gonna say no, but HELL NO to the changes.

#8 Josh Seles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

I voted none of the above.

My ideal view of what we should get going forwards is a combination of vote options:

- 40 heat cap is better than 50, 45 is likely the sweet spot.
- less weapon heat
- nerf Gauss Rifles with really long reloads and heat, and remove charge-ups

#9 Slambot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:14 PM

View PostChristophe Ivanov, on 25 August 2018 - 05:43 PM, said:

was in my DWF, over heated and it takes almost 20 seconds for it to recover. That's a death sentence and it was responsible for 2 deaths testing. I;m not gonna say no, but HELL NO to the changes.

WTF were you running in your dire? Did you install some heat sinks? I found the heat cap a bit too high but, I couldn't shut myself down for terribly long with the Std. laser vomit meta builds. Longest was maybe 3-5 seconds.

#10 doctormanuse

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:23 PM

Didn't participate on the last pts, so I cant realy vote on this. However, I have some thougths on the heat scale/Dissipation Topics.

In my laser vomit hellbringer, that has a lot of heatsinks you can really see the difference. Doing an Alpha In the pts i have 20% more on heat on the scale, bringing me up to 85%. This is significant! Even on Cold Maps this gave me some Problems. I was tweaking the build a bit, taking away one erml and the TC to bring more DHS in and voila: The build worked perfect again. And as side effect, also on very hot Maps the build was Performing Pretty well, since Dissipation work much better. I like this as it could bring back some more weapon flexibility on the hot Maps. On my heavy IS Dakka build with few heatsinks, I coulded really see a difference., which I think was intened.

I have a Suggestion on the heat scale. Wouldn't it bee a good idea to corelate the heat scale to the engine size? As Engineering it doesn't sound Right that an endinge with the double size has the same heat capacity. And more than that, I could be an incentive to take a larger engine also on heavy and assault mechs. It would also Benefit those clan omni mechs with high engine Rating like the blank lanner, which has a very bad heat Management. This way you would at least get more threshod to maintain fire, then pull back and cool down. Maybe something like up to 250 gets 30, 300 gets 35 and 350 and above have 40.

Just as a Suggestion.. This may some Players motivate to prop a weapon and increase the engine Rating.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:23 PM

35 or 40 but with ghost heat removed.

not totally against clan and is having different values. perhaps make is doubles slightly better than clan doubles with the clan advantage being compactness. say 0.2 clan vs 0.22 is. shs around 0.15 ish. not sure i would give them different caps though. with gh removed clan could really leverage the smaller brawlier lasers, so i dont really consider this too big of an advantage for the is.

as for gauss, im for removing the charge limit (get rid of the convoluted mechanics and balance on core values only), and instead stack the charge time of all the currently charging gauss rifles. thus the worst case gauss alpha would require something like 2 or 3 seconds of charge time. you could also greatly lower single gauss charging time, especially pronounced on the light gauss rifle (say less than a quarter second with a single rifle). you can take things a step further and make the gauss rifle a lot less volatile while its idle, and a lot more volatile while it is being charged. thus if you choose to chew on the charge time to fire a huge 60 point gauss alpha, you open yourself up to being critted out for a longer period of time. or you can opt to chain fire for dps.

Edited by LordNothing, 25 August 2018 - 11:32 PM.

#12 Cypherdrene

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCabo

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:24 AM

Thank you all so much for your votes. Numbers are more honest than opinions Posted Image

Sadly the total voting sample is too low to even make a case with PGI. But if we were to extrapolate the trends, 2.1 or #4 most voted (at the time of this post) would be the way to go. If there's a PTS 2.2 or more, then I'll keep checking the poll and updat it until the changes go Live.

And for those who are mad at all these changes or if your choice isn't the final version, try to understand PGI can't make everyone happy, but they are trying and quite honestly this is the most positive PTS I've seen.

Thanks again; those who've not voted, what are you waiting for? Posted Image

Edited by Cypherdrene, 26 August 2018 - 09:26 AM.

#13 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

View PostSlambot, on 25 August 2018 - 10:14 PM, said:

WTF were you running in your dire? Did you install some heat sinks? I found the heat cap a bit too high but, I couldn't shut myself down for terribly long with the Std. laser vomit meta builds. Longest was maybe 3-5 seconds.

my DWF has 17 double heat sinks, 4XLarge ER Lasers 4X Med ER Lasers. I used to run this build quite nicely before the public test successions. One Alpha will cause my mech to over heat and stay that way for almost 20 seconds. Normally, I use chain fire as to manage the heat on regular QP matches and I can do one alpha and not overheat like it does in the test if I have no heat.

#14 Rydiak Randborir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Kapten
  • Kapten
  • 103 posts
  • LocationJarnfolk Cluster

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:07 PM

View PostChristophe Ivanov, on 26 August 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

my DWF has 17 double heat sinks, 4XLarge ER Lasers 4X Med ER Lasers. I used to run this build quite nicely before the public test successions. One Alpha will cause my mech to over heat and stay that way for almost 20 seconds. Normally, I use chain fire as to manage the heat on regular QP matches and I can do one alpha and not overheat like it does in the test if I have no heat.

...because that build generates 89.14 heat with the ghost heat from the 4 cERLLs.

You aren't supposed to alpha four cERLLs.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:13 PM

View PostRydiak, on 26 August 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

...because that build generates 89.14 heat with the ghost heat from the 4 cERLLs.

You aren't supposed to alpha four cERLLs.

energy dires in general seem a bit whack. dires are all about the dakka. want lasers, get a supernova.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 August 2018 - 11:13 PM.

#16 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:44 PM

Cypherdrene, these PTS Changes are GREAT for adding to the Live Server. Let's hope PGI puts them in! :D

Heck, with this, I would even suggest increasing the Ghost Heat Limit of Clan Large Lasers to 3... Also, they should link the GH Penalty of Large Lasers with Medium & Small Lasers for both Tech Bases. It would put a stopper on a bunch of overkill Alphas. :)

~D. V. "And that's about all it would take to wrap the issue up..." Devnull

#17 user51

Rookie

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:34 PM

Tried it for both 2.0 and 2.1 and can say that I favor the 50 heat cap but think the whole thing is the wrong direction. Get rid of ghost heat, go back to simple rules and accept that some builds are going to dominate until the play style learns how to react. Right now with the latest test system I can put ~175 points of damage out using chainfire before I over heat in less then 12 seconds, that brings the TTK down way to far in rewarding chain fire over alpha fire.

just my 2 cents ( and tons of $$$ spent supporting this pre-beta for MW5)

#18 Lt_Paragor

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:33 PM

Why does every one want gauss nerf?? Learn to play them and not receive them ( not get shot with gausses). To nerf them would be to literally break several builds.

#19 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 02:07 AM

View PostLt_Paragor, on 27 August 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

Why does every one want gauss nerf?? Learn to play them and not receive them ( not get shot with gausses). To nerf them would be to literally break several builds.

My god, this is it. In fact, while you're at it, just don't get shot by any weapon. We've discovered how to be invincible!

#20 oldman44

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:35 AM

good test ;I like it !!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users